collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is Hasbro one of the only Toy-toon Companies Left?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Is Hasbro one of the only Toy-toon Companies Left?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 08:15:17 PM »
Oooo, good point about Beyblade!  That also reminds me of Yu-Gi-Oh--a cartoon show pushing a card game, heehee.

Yu-Gi-Oh was ALSO from Spinmaster!  LOL 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 08:25:56 PM »
Oooo, good point about Beyblade!  That also reminds me of Yu-Gi-Oh--a cartoon show pushing a card game, heehee.

If you read the first chapters of the manga, they are NOTHING like the show. It wasn't even supposed to be about card games, it was supposed to be about a schoolboy possessed by an ancient demon who punished bullies and criminals through karmic challenges they were set up to lose. It was really dark. The mangaka started the card game arc and it became SUPER popular so that became its entire reason for existing.

The subsequent series are all about the cards, though. So now it's a toy-toon.

That sounds so much more interesting then what we ended up with.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 09:07:44 PM »

If you read the first chapters of the manga, they are NOTHING like the show. It wasn't even supposed to be about card games, it was supposed to be about a schoolboy possessed by an ancient demon who punished bullies and criminals through karmic challenges they were set up to lose. It was really dark. The mangaka started the card game arc and it became SUPER popular so that became its entire reason for existing.

More interesting, but less marketable. Especially considering at least two people burned alive in the original incarnation of Yu-Gi-Oh. I thought how dark it was was awesome, but it would have definitely been too much for kids TV over here.

Doesn't Disney count in this? Or do they not since they license manufacture of their toys to other parties?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 09:10:17 PM »

More interesting, but less marketable. Especially considering at least two people burned alive in the original incarnation of Yu-Gi-Oh. I thought how dark it was was awesome, but it would have definitely been too much for kids TV over here.

Doesn't Disney count in this? Or do they not since they license manufacture of their toys to other parties?

Not really no. They're an animation/amusement park company first. Everything else is just super fancy, super expensive toppings.

Kinda like how Pokemon is best known for games, when they started out as cards.

I don't really count Yokai Watch either. Plus American animation stripped it down of anything unique and Asian. They dumbed down the humor so badly, not even kindergartners would find it funny. The toys focus on a handful of Yokai. It doesnt even have figures of the human protags.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 09:12:45 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 09:19:20 PM »

Pokemon started out as a video game.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 10:28:37 PM »

Those darker first few arcs were actually animated! It's referred to as 'Yu-Gi-Oh Season 0' and isn't connected to the later, more well-known anime. I love the animation style, it's so technicolor and surreal (like a lot of 80s-90s anime) but you have to watch it subbed because, naturally, it never got an English-language release (too violent!)  ^.^
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 05:40:00 AM »

Pokemon started out as a video game.
I was about to say, Pokemon started with the RPG's in 1995 in Japan.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal