collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Flutter pony variations  (Read 6825 times)

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
Re: Flutter pony variations
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 07:28:24 AM »
I had no idea that Lily had a fat, until I got a Lily flutter from an awesome friend. I remember looking at the pony like she was all wrong because she was oddly colored. The fat head Lily is a bit more lavender purple verses a red purple.
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 07:46:06 PM »
Perhaps one flutter pony mold actually was used in Hong Kong, despite the "Made in China" footstamp?
Still would mean the dies would have to be recast from new originals, which is one helluva lot of work and a major financial investment - why would they go to the trouble instead of copying the existing master, which is a much faster process?  And if they'd gone to that trouble, why not fix the country of origin, a much smaller fix? There've been other retoolings but they all make more sense...

Flatfoots -> Collector Pose: The original flatfoot design was poorly balanced and tippy despite having extra large washers to attempt to compensate for their front-heavy pose.  The Collector Pose fixed that.
Various -> 2nd Set Princesses (1st set as well? I honestly haven't checked), adjustments needed to mount the medallions.
Various -> Sundae Best, Modifications for 3D symbols
Various -> Dance n' Prance / Happy Tails, alterations for internal mechanisms
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 12:46:24 AM »
This thread is quite timely for me!

I was going through some ponies just today whom I've recently acquired, and realised that for the first time I have some of the 'fat heads' in my hands! That walking pose is incredibly obvious - I noticed straight away when I held up Peach Blossom that something was off!  I've noticed the symbols seem quite different too.

The other thing I noticed, was the regrind - I have two cloud puffs and wing songs to compare, and one pony each in the pair has completely regrinded over - I'll have to take some pics. In particular one cloud puff is completely purple, and the other hot pink! I need to study them a bit more, but I wonder if batch/mold variation has something to do with it?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 07:55:21 AM »
Perhaps one flutter pony mold actually was used in Hong Kong, despite the "Made in China" footstamp?
Still would mean the dies would have to be recast from new originals, which is one helluva lot of work and a major financial investment - why would they go to the trouble instead of copying the existing master, which is a much faster process?  And if they'd gone to that trouble, why not fix the country of origin, a much smaller fix? There've been other retoolings but they all make more sense...

See, the mistake you made there is assuming anything Hasbro did made sense in the eighties ;) we have tons of examples of subtle variations being sold in different locations for no apparent reason. I suspect it might be more like there being multiple factories in China making these ponies at the same time and for some reason that meant they had slightly different moulds, but it's difficult to know. THe flutters are definitely not the only set where there are minor differences in size/stature, they're just the most blatant.

If we want to get onto illogical, why do we have a situation whereby the Cherry Treats sold in the US has a forelock and the one sold in Europe doesn't? I mean, yes, mostly the European one is made in China and the one in the US, Hong Kong, but since there exist Chinese Cherry Treats in the US with forelocks, that logic really doesn't pan out.

Hasbro didn't make sense in the eighties ;) fat head flutters are just an ongoing symptom of that fact for me.

But it's also what keeps g1 interesting for me as well ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 08:21:38 AM »
Oooo, I'd LOVE to see comparisons of the Cloud Puffs and Wingsongs!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 12:56:48 PM »
Wow the difference in cloud puffs is crazy.

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 12:59:36 PM »
Ok that regrind is very cool:) I would keep both as well. I hope to find all the fat heads:) I am obsessed with flutter ponies:) I saw I had double forget me not, wind song, but they are not the fat heads:(
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 04:12:24 PM »
See, the mistake you made there is assuming anything Hasbro did made sense in the eighties ;)

Decisions that negatively affect their profits are the one place where I trust Hasbro to be logical at all times.  ;)
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Matcha

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • pony deviantart!!
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 09:03:12 PM »
Regarding the regrind - I have a fat head Forget-Me-Not that has full body regrind as well :)

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 09:05:25 PM »
Oh, wow! I didn't know she was prone to it!

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 05:02:08 AM »
Wow, full body regrind is really impressive.  :blink: Well, they've got their own charming look now. But I prefer purple Forget-me-Not.
I've checked my 3 flutters, they are all small heads with no regrind (yet?). Do you think those big head versions have been distributed to Europe as well ?
Big head  Flutters looks like they've been stung by bees. :lol: When dogs are stung by bees on their face, they look like them. =D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:04:57 AM by RoseNoire »
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 03:21:27 PM »
You know...it might be that pale purple color.  I have a Galaxy with what appears to be full body regrind as well.

And also now I know why I sometimes hate Peach Blossom and Lily and sometimes love them. It's the big head mold! I feel like it's judging me when you look at it head on.

EDIT:  OMG I just looked at my Honeysuckle, which I just got and she seems to have one of each eye and she looks completely ridiculous.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:20:25 PM by flutterscotch »

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 04:34:15 PM »

Just talked about this on FB. Didn't know about it until recently either.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 04:46:38 PM »
So jelouse when I saw that on facebook:) such an awesome discovery;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal