collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

When you come across a well-loved pony with mane/tail problems, you...

Try to save the original hair fibres as much as possible (hot boil, haircut, etc)
14 (56%)
Find the exact nylon hair match and rehair the pony
4 (16%)
Comb it out a little and leave it be
0 (0%)
Only replace the fading hair
0 (0%)
Only replace hair when mane/tail have been cut
6 (24%)
Rehair the pony but in the colors/lenght you choose (=no hair matching)
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Rehair or save the factory hair?  (Read 702 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Rehair or save the factory hair?
« on: December 29, 2017, 07:14:20 AM »
I have come across this 'problem' with vintage ponies. I am often asking myself if I should just try and restore the hair (G1 and G2) as much as I can, or if it would be better to find hair matches and renew everything.

I am rather fond of finding new hair colors for G4s because eh... what else to do with all those Pinkie Pies :P

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
Re: Rehair or save the factory hair?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 07:36:19 AM »
Well, the choice is always yours, but since you are asking our opinion, here's mine :

I'm quite on the preservation side, so at first I'll try to save the original hair as much as I can. (Boiling, unfrizing,...) When the hair is really cut too short, where there's no hope, I'd go with a rehair with the closest match possible ever. And then keep the old hair in a baggie and tag it.  I'm sad I didn't keep Tex's original (but short. lol.) hair properly. My mother threw them away.  But it's all my fault. ^^'

Tex, with sad hair, I choose to rehair.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Whizzer and Moonstone, hair cut, it makes me cringe but not enough to rehair them. They look okay that way

Italian Moonstone, Europe is a Nirvana for Italian Nirvanas. lol.

And then, like I said, the choice is yours. Maybe your ponies are beyond restoration and you might prefer to custom them to give them a new life. It depends on how much you want to preserve your ponies.

Hope that helps.
Have a nice day. =)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:42:30 AM by RoseNoire »
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 11:19:37 AM »
If it looks bad, like choppy, uneven, and completely gone, I would say they would look better with new hair. If the hair is cut evenly and isn't too short, I'm fine with it, so I would leave it. If there are plugs missing but the original hair is uncut, I'm fine with that too. Just depends on what you think looks good I guess :)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline MightyRose

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 11:35:47 AM »
I always try to save the hair as much as I can, usually boiling water treatments will help. If the hair is cut but not badly then I will leave it as well. I think that there are only so many G1 ponies in the world at this point, so I like to keep them as original as possible. I often will not repaint their eyes or cutie marks for this reason (if the damage or wear is minimal). That being said, I also think that ponies deserve nice looking lives, so if a pony is missing hair I will rehair them.
I guess my outlook is that I try only to add to the original look, rather than replace or repaint.
G1 pony goals: Merry Treats, Powder, Sunlight, Gusty, Sugarberry, Baby Sugarberry, French Moonstone, Drink 'n' Wet Baby Ponies, Birthflower ponies, baby Rainfeather!
G3: Candy Cane, Snowflake, Mistletoe, Divine Shine ponies!
Wanting to buy LPS accessories and Breyer horses!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 11:49:12 AM »
I agree with Mighty Rose above. I have kept a few ponies with haircuts by styling with boiling water. My Sky Rocket has a G4 boy style mohawk, which suits her boyish pose. I did tidy it up slightly with scissors but only because I intend to keep her always and it looks so much better. Sometimes if the hair is frizzy I might plait it instead of re-hairing, like my Beachball. My Sugar apple had no tail and a buzz cut so I gave her a donor tail and a hat. I was not expecting it to look so sweet.  Everyone on here thought so too and said I should keep her like that so I did. Sometimes I do re-hair though, but I usually do yarn-puff re-hairs with no glue and don't even try to make it look original.  If someone wants to do an original looking re-hair int he future then they can.  For me, original is more interesting.

Here's a dilemma for you in return, I bought a Foto Finish on evilbay not realising that she was a factory second.  Her symbol has a ding and her hair hasn't been styled.  I was considering customising her but I don't have Foto Finish and she's starting to get more expensive.  What do you think I should do? Restore or customise?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:53:18 AM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »
It depends on the pony ^.^ I will always try and save the original hair first before rehairing.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 02:09:57 PM »
I prefer factory-looking hair, so if a pony has an awful haircut I'm OK having it rerooted in a matching color...but I like it professionally styled so it looks original. All ponies deserve to look their best!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »
All of the above! It depends on the pony. I have some with haircuts I kept as is, some I rehaired in original colors and some that have a whole new look.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal