collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Plush cleaning help?  (Read 556 times)

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Plush cleaning help?
« on: December 28, 2017, 04:41:20 PM »
Hey everybody! I stopped by that whimsical antique mall to blow my Christmas cash and picked up a lovely moondancer plush. I’ll post the brag later, once everypony is clean. But is there any cleaning instructions I should be aware of? I’ve never tried cleaning a plush with hair before. Kinda a noob...
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Plush cleaning help?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 05:20:02 PM »
I've had luck cleaning plushies with just an old toothbrush and water. Never soak the plush, just surface wash.
If the body of the plush seems a bit matted, a pet brush with wire bristles make it nice and fluffy again. Be careful around embroidered parts and anything else it could damage. As for the hair, just wash it like any other Pony, and avoid getting the body wet.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lordalexander74

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 05:52:07 PM »
https://buttercupbabyppg.deviantart.com/art/Minky-Plush-Washing-Guide-526558030

Don't what that Moondancer plush is made of, but here's a great guide for cleaning minky plushies. Real helpful for when I got ink on a WhiteDove custom plush a couple years ago.
Thanks to Lunacat for the lovely art

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 04:29:33 AM »
I know plushies are supposed to be 'surface wash only' but I'm terrified of germs and grossness lurking in the stuffing of 2nd hand plushies, so I'm firmly in the 'wash them completely' camp! I pop them in a pillowcase, tie off the end (to protect the eyes) and pop them in the machine on 'delicate' or 'hand wash' with some fabric softener and an antibacterial detergent or some baking soda. These cycles don't usually have a spin cycle, and only tumble them slowly and gently, so they get a thorough wash, but aren't treated roughly. After they come out of the machine, I pop either some extra fabric softener or some conditioner in the hair and give it a gentle brush out. They then get a final rinse off to remove any product left on them, and put the plush out to dry in the shade on my balcony for a few days at least - you want them to be thoroughly dry before they come inside!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 07:07:59 AM »
I know plushies are supposed to be 'surface wash only' but I'm terrified of germs and grossness lurking in the stuffing of 2nd hand plushies, so I'm firmly in the 'wash them completely' camp! I pop them in a pillowcase, tie off the end (to protect the eyes) and pop them in the machine on 'delicate' or 'hand wash' with some fabric softener and an antibacterial detergent or some baking soda. These cycles don't usually have a spin cycle, and only tumble them slowly and gently, so they get a thorough wash, but aren't treated roughly. After they come out of the machine, I pop either some extra fabric softener or some conditioner in the hair and give it a gentle brush out. They then get a final rinse off to remove any product left on them, and put the plush out to dry in the shade on my balcony for a few days at least - you want them to be thoroughly dry before they come inside!

This is me, any used plushie that comes in this house is washed in a pillow case, but I do not ever put them in the dryer.  I have never had any problem with washing plushies, but I do wonder if this would damage the insert in their hooves that helps them stand.  If that is just plain cardboard washing them will ruin that.  If it is a stiff plastic then it wouldn't hurt them at all but the dryer would damage them.  I am so ocd when it comes to these things I actually put my used plushies in the freezer until I have time to wash them.  Bed bugs scare me more than germs and lice doesn't help me much either.  Then there is the thought of what little children have on their hands.  The snotty noses, the bad bathroom hygiene habits and they think nothing of sneezing and rubbing their dirty little precious hands all over a plushies.  Lets add about thirty years to that unclean surface that is growing a mess load of grossness, I can't know how anyone can not want to wash it. :lol:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:10:49 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 07:23:01 AM »
EWWWWWWW yes I wash plushies too unless they are super delicate.  Cold water, LOTS of baking soda....

If I can't wash it, then I spread it out on a giant towel and pour baking soda all over it, massage it in, leave it for awhile.  you can use a big trash bag too.  come back and massage it more... then gently beat out the baking soda, or vacuum it off.  You can repeat this cycle as much as you need. 

Yes use a pet grooming brush to rebrush it, especially the hair :)  Plastic combs and brushes are just going to snag, rip and cause static electricity in the fur fibres.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 07:24:09 AM »

This is me, any used plushie that comes in this house is washed in a pillow case, but I do not ever put them in the dryer.  I have never had any problem with washing plushies, but I do wonder if this would damage the insert in their hooves that helps them stand.  If that is just plain cardboard washing them will ruin that.  If it is a stiff plastic then it wouldn't hurt them at all but the dryer would damage them.  I am so ocd when it comes to these things I actually put my used plushies in the freezer until I have time to wash them.  Bed bugs scare me more than germs and lice doesn't help me much either.  Then there is the thought of what little children have on their hands.  The snotty noses, the bad bathroom hygiene habits and they think nothing of sneezing and rubbing their dirty little precious hands all over a plushies.  Lets add about thirty years to that unclean surface that is growing a mess load of grossness, I can't know how anyone can not want to wash it. :lol:

That reminds me of a certian pillow I heard about. They never washed it for decades. -_-: Anyhow Im with the wash in pillow case group. I wash all my plushies that way. I let them air dry. :)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 12:54:42 PM »
Heck, I toss my plushies in the dryer too, on the super-low or "no heat but air blows on it" settings.  The hair will need to be conditioned afterwards but chances are it needed that anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal