collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Netflix series: Toys That Made Us  (Read 10123 times)

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix series: Toys That Made Us
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2018, 06:12:04 PM »
I just watched the Hello Kitty episode with my Japanese mom who was a kid in the 70's. We loved it, since we both grew up with Hello Kitty :) She kept on saying, "I had that! I remember that character!" etc. Between her and my wisecracking boyfriend, it was honestly hard to follow along, lol.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:24:44 PM by Jocelyn »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2018, 06:51:38 PM »
I've enjoyed the entire series especially for the toys I didn't have (LEGO and Hello Kitty).

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2018, 11:42:49 AM »
I liked the first part of season 1 (or season 2, whichever the older episodes are) better than the newer ones.  I liked the ST and Transformers ones well enough.  Didn't get through the Legos one.  Will have to try to finish it later.  Hello Kitty was interesting.  Just kind of bummed that it seems that it was mainly "boy" toys this time.  Ik Legos technically isn't just boys, now but I just didn't find the episode as "riveting" as the previous ones.  Cannot wait to see what they do for the next season granted they do one.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2018, 11:32:04 AM »
I'll never get over the fact that Barbie had her origins in BILD magazine (basically a German The Sun, a hateful gossip rag) and was pretty much a s*x object before Mattel stole her and transformed her into a rolemodel for young girls but with the same crazy proportions :lol:

I didn't watch the episode on Barbie, but I hope they mentioned BILD-Lilli.

I'm watching the one on Hello Kitty right now and still waiting for them to mention Nijntje, the Dutch bunny girl Hello Kitty was stol err based on...

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2018, 02:54:11 PM »
I'll never get over the fact that Barbie had her origins in BILD magazine (basically a German The Sun, a hateful gossip rag) and was pretty much a s*x object before Mattel stole her and transformed her into a rolemodel for young girls but with the same crazy proportions :lol:

I'm watching the one on Hello Kitty right now and still waiting for them to mention Nijntje, the Dutch bunny girl Hello Kitty was stol err based on...

They lightly touched upon BILD Lilli... very lightly, but it still came as a surprise to some parents I talked to, who watched the show with their kids and had some ... awkward conversations during the Barbie episode.

And Nijntje is Miffy, right?  I have a few Miffy books and items, I LOVE her too!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 02:55:42 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Stellaluna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2018, 03:19:54 PM »
I love this series! The Barbie and He-Man episodes were really interesting. I sat down and watched the Transformers and Hello Kitty episodes the other day. The Hello Kitty one was pretty fascinating. I learned a lot. The Transformers one I had mixed feelings about. They skipped a ton of information about the franchise, but I guess they had to. They only lightly discussed Beast Wars and then jumped right to the Michael Bay films. That's skipping over like 6 toy reboots. Either way, I love seeing people talk about toys and especially industry people who are really passionate about it.

Can't wait for a My Little Pony episode!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2018, 05:32:13 PM »
I love this series! The Barbie and He-Man episodes were really interesting. I sat down and watched the Transformers and Hello Kitty episodes the other day. The Hello Kitty one was pretty fascinating. I learned a lot. The Transformers one I had mixed feelings about. They skipped a ton of information about the franchise, but I guess they had to. They only lightly discussed Beast Wars and then jumped right to the Michael Bay films. That's skipping over like 6 toy reboots. Either way, I love seeing people talk about toys and especially industry people who are really passionate about it.

Can't wait for a My Little Pony episode!

We may need to keep this in mind when the mlp episode does come around.  I'm sure there is no way they will be able to get in all the info that we would like for them to cover.  They may skip right over g2 and g3.

Offline mlly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2018, 09:51:52 PM »

Miffy>>>>>>Hello Kitty

If a MLP episode ever gets made I kinda fear for it, it will most likely have a 'sad' ending for me with how G4 is and the 'fanbase' it attracted...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 10:00:45 PM by mlly »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2018, 02:55:53 AM »
So I got hooked yesterday and watched the Hello Kitty, Transformers and Star Trek ones. I skipped Star Wars, Barbie and GI Joe because I already know about the first ones and don't care about the latter.

I understand a documentary is never 100% neutral. But leaving out the entire Nijntje/Miffy thing was disappointing to me. So many people think Miffy is a HK copy and it's not true. I thought mayyybe they had a nod to that when the Sanrio creator was like "oh maybe I should make a rabbit next..."

HK's "mama" is so eccentric! I loved that. This is the kind of industry people I love to see more of. She was so frank about HK having no mouth.

All of it is very US-centric so that's probably why the TF episode skipped the anime series. I already knew a bunch of stuff about it but it was still cool to see the back and forth between the US and Japan.

Also hoping for MLP. They said it's an 8 part series but they show MLP in the intro.

If they do one, I hope it's without bashing it as girly stuff and focusing on Bronies. This is about toys, so they will have to focus on the creation of G1 the most and interview the people from back then. But I assume they will get Lauren Faust in there and other people talking about G4.
I was kinda shocked to see Paris Hilton in the HK episode. So we will probably see some D-list celeb talking about how much he relates to Rainbow Dash :lol:

Offline Cheshire_Raptor

• Smoozed Pony
  • We're All Mad Here, or Soon Will Be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2018, 11:36:05 AM »
I watched the Star Trek, Transformers and Hello Kitty episodes last night and it was so cool seeing the history of all of them.   I've got my fingers crossed for MLP next season :)

Is there going to be a season three? The opening credits song says it a 8 part documentary series and they sort of done that....

I was REALLY hoping for MLP as well.

Offline mlly

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2018, 12:00:13 PM »

HK's "mama" is so eccentric! I loved that. This is the kind of industry people I love to see more of. She was so frank about HK having no mouth.

Indeed, she was the most interesting part of that episode and I would've like to have seen more about her life. I like that she is clearly unafraid to still live and dress how she likes even in her 60s.

I have to be honest... The more I think about it, the more I DON'T want an MLP episode... -_-

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2018, 02:11:09 PM »
I watched the Star Trek, Transformers and Hello Kitty episodes last night and it was so cool seeing the history of all of them.   I've got my fingers crossed for MLP next season :)

Is there going to be a season three? The opening credits song says it a 8 part documentary series and they sort of done that....

I was REALLY hoping for MLP as well.

Yes, they have confirmed that they where renewed for more episodes.  The seasons thing is confusing though.  Cause only recently have people started calling these last 4 episodes "season 2".  I thought all 8 episodes where season 1, there just ended up being a sizable gap between the first part and second part.

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2018, 08:28:33 AM »
I'm surprised they didn't have Hot Wheels for the first season. I'm hoping they'll fix that with the next one. Besides, they've already covered most of the big action figure lines.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2018, 09:04:19 AM »
I do love when they talk to the Industry people... the frank conversations are pretty cool.

I will be bitterly disappointed if they don't do vintage MLP. I would love for them to dig up some of the designers and maybe some collector interviews :D

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2018, 07:52:23 PM »
The show just posted on Facebook a picture of some of the staff posing in front of Hasbro holding a sign for season 3.  Seeing as they already did Transformers (and I don't see them delving into board games just yet) it has to be My Little Pony! 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal