collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Netflix series: Toys That Made Us  (Read 10124 times)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
Re: Netflix series: Toys That Made Us
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 10:26:12 PM »
I LOVED it! I hope for more as well! I would be extremely surprised if they didnt do a MLP series, especially since its a toy thats still very much alive today (like barbie)
hotwheels sounds really likely as well, and possibly lego, BUT lego already has quite a lot of documentaries so they might pass on that.

But wow I love the history! I was never much of a He-Man fan, but now that I know how it started, I find that so cool!
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 10:58:30 AM »
I've only watched the first two episodes so far but I'm hooked! I really hope they get more seasons. There's so many fascinating stories hidden in the toy industry.

If anyone really loved the Barbie episode, I highly suggest tracking down a copy of Forever Barbie: The Unauthorized Autobiography of a Real Doll. The author was one of the people interviewed so a lot of the same points were brought up but the book goes into a lot more detail. I've wanted an updated version since I read it and I'm so stoked this show came out and covered some of that.

Aside from the obvious MLP choice, I'd love to see them talk about something like Mickey Mouse or Colorforms. Literally only because it would be the perfect excuse to interview Mel Birnkrant, my favorite toy designer.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 02:55:05 AM »
I watched these  to they were really good and I hope there is a pony one :) I really enjoyed the others so far :)

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 05:19:55 PM »
I've never been a Barbie fan but the insider information was fascinating. How about Legos.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 05:43:28 PM »
Me and my family watched this recently and it was amazing! I loved seeing how the toys came about, learning about their designers, etc, but some parts made me either creeped out or mad. In the G.I. Joe episode, the designer that said things like "She is my favorite character because she is sexy" and "I sculpted that so that button was lower" (in this case making the woman toy more revealing) majorly creeped me out, and I think you can guess why. The only parts that made me mad were in the Barbie episode. The first was when one of the ladies was all for destroying companies if it meant Barbie being the only doll like that in the toy aisle. All I could think of was how evil it was to make Barbie and the Rockers before Jem came out! I love Jem, darn it! And all I could think about in the Barbie episode, especially when they were trying to say her proportions were fine because that was the only way clothes would look good, was that girls who played with Barbie have shown they have low body confidence and want to be thinner instead of girls who didn't play with Barbie, who don't really strive to be thinner and are confident in their body. But aside from these details, the overall show was amazing! And I want a pony episode soooo badly!

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 11:40:08 AM »
I saw it and skipped over it but now that I see others have seen it and really liked it I think I'll have to watch it.

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 01:20:55 PM »
I love this show! I can't wait for more episodes.

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 01:29:44 AM »
I watched it too and I really enjoyed it so far (one episode to go for me) ! Its really informative and so well done!! :D I hope they soon bring the other 4 episodes!!

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 04:59:39 PM »
Mum and me liked these episodes, watching the last one now this one doesn't really relate to us here in the UK, don't think it ever made it big here.

Apparently transformers & lego will be in the second half of this season.

They have also said if they get a second season My little pony is top of their list  :blink: :frolic: really hope they get a second season.
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 06:14:01 PM »
Mum and me liked these episodes, watching the last one now this one doesn't really relate to us here in the UK, don't think it ever made it big here.

Apparently transformers & lego will be in the second half of this season.

They have also said if they get a second season My little pony is top of their list  :blink: :frolic: really hope they get a second season.
Quick! Everyone email them saying we want season 2!! :whoa:

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 10:33:28 PM »
I have seen two episodes and I really love it so far! It's nice to see behind the scenes and hear from the people who were there and made it happen.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 02:43:22 AM »
This series is fabulous! I really enjoyed the episodes on Barbie, Star Wars and He-Man / She-Ra.

Spoiler
I did want to throw things when one of the He-Man guys suggested that its possible the decline of the brand happened because little boys felt that He-Man was devalued by little boys once little girls had She-Ra because the moment girls have the same power as boys, that power becomes worthless. :angry: In my opinion, the fact that there was He-Man and She-Ra makes MOTU one of the best kids brands ever created, because siblings could actually play together and have some common ground... I had two brothers, so toy lines that had things for both boys and girls were way more popular with us than gender-gated toy lines. It's not that I ever had a problem playing male characters--I played April, Leonardo and Master Splinter when we did Ninja Turtles--but having such a level of equal representation for the sake of fun, rather than extreme politics as it would be about today, was / is refreshing.

This also really disappointed me. 
Spoiler
As someone who grew up with MOTU, I actually preferred the He-Man line over the She-Ra line in some ways.  It bothered me that She-Ra wasn't the same scale as the other MOTU female figures like Teela and Sorceress, and that they didn't have the flexibility of ball jointed hips.  She-Ra just looked plain awkward sitting on Swiftwind.  The other, and bigger issue I had with She-Ra/Swiftwind was that they didn't match the cartoon!  This was particularly egregious in the case of Swifty, who was animated as white with orange and blue accents, but made all pink as a toy. :C  She-Ras hair was also kinda annoying, made getting her mask to stay on difficult, and that tiny little sword!  Pretty sure I broke Swifty's reins the day I got him too.  The MOTU stuff was studier and more creative,  consequently I had mostly MOTU figures.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 12:06:05 PM »
I've never been a Barbie fan but the insider information was fascinating. How about Legos.

The next four episodes are apparently  LEGO, Transformers, Hello Kitty, and Star Trek.

Kinda disappointed there is no mention (yet) of MLP, Rainbow Brite or Strawberry Shortcake-  seems like they are doing one "girls line" for every three "boys lines"

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 12:08:38 PM »
This series is fabulous! I really enjoyed the episodes on Barbie, Star Wars and He-Man / She-Ra.

Spoiler
I did want to throw things when one of the He-Man guys suggested that its possible the decline of the brand happened because little boys felt that He-Man was devalued by little boys once little girls had She-Ra because the moment girls have the same power as boys, that power becomes worthless. :angry: In my opinion, the fact that there was He-Man and She-Ra makes MOTU one of the best kids brands ever created, because siblings could actually play together and have some common ground... I had two brothers, so toy lines that had things for both boys and girls were way more popular with us than gender-gated toy lines. It's not that I ever had a problem playing male characters--I played April, Leonardo and Master Splinter when we did Ninja Turtles--but having such a level of equal representation for the sake of fun, rather than extreme politics as it would be about today, was / is refreshing.

I was mad about that too-  but then the narrators (who are quite good) get to the REAL reason why the line failed-
Spoiler
which was, quite simply- they made tons of extra characters, but not nearly enough Heman and Skeletor dolls. 

That was DEFINITELY the issue- my cousins and I had dozens of these dolls, and then Heman broke his leg...  suddenly the entire collection was almost unplayable...

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 01:43:20 PM »
It's amazing, I really enjoyed it!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal