collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So who else really needs the real Sorting Hat's help? XD  (Read 831 times)

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
So who else really needs the real Sorting Hat's help? XD
« on: December 26, 2017, 11:39:53 AM »
(There's a TL, DR below, if you don't feel like reading a whole page of rambling. XD )

So I am fairly new to the world of Harry Potter. I saw the first two films when they came out and the read the second book back in the day, but it wasn't before last summer that I really started to love it. A thread here on the Arena sparked it, in fact! Now I am completely sucked in, I love all the films, and I can't wait to read all the books (I currently own the  first and the third book, but because they're so expensive I can't buy any more books for a while). So naturally I want to know which house I would be in!

...Yeah. Not as easy as I thought. I took three tests, the first said Slytherin, the second said Ravenclaw and the last one said Gryffindor. :lookround: The worst thing is, I can't even pick a house myself because I honestly don't know what would be the best fit. The only thing I know for sure that it's DEFINITELY not Slytherin.

Looking at my character, I would fit best in Hufflepuff. However, I am highly allergic to stupidity and ignorant people, and I usually have some witty answers ready (Ravenclaw). But studying isn't exactly my strongest point... I also hate cowardice, and chivalry is something I greatly (and I mean GREATLY) value in everyday life (Gryffindor). But I can't say I'm extremely brave either. I'm stuck. :|

I get that no one can tell me which house I should be in. But maybe someone knows how The Hat decides, so I can make a good choice? What matters more, what you truly value or what your actual capacities are?

Are there any other people here who got stuck? :shrug: Did you find your house after all?

TL, DR: I don't seem to fit in any of the houses. Who's with me? :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: So who else really needs the real Sorting Hat's help? XD
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 12:28:42 PM »
Sounds like you need a hybrid house. :)

https://geekgirlcon.com/harry-potter-sorting-slytherclaw-ravenpuff-gryfferin-oh-my/

And here's a thread on how those hybrids work according to the people who thought them up.

http://sortinghatchats.tumblr.com/post/121904186113/the-basics

I took one of those sorting tests years ago and it put me in Gryffindor.  Personally, I think I'm a mix of Gryffindor and Ravenclaw with a just a bit of Slytherin for flavor.

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
Oh, that's really interesting, thanks for the links! I will read it tonight. :D

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 02:46:13 PM »
If you're not already on Pottermore, may want to check it out. Or you can see what it's sorting hat quiz is like here: http://www.gotoquiz.com/pottermore_sorting_quiz_all_possible_question
I like going by this one because JK Rowling has worked closely with Pottermore to make it as accurate as possible to her vision.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline firestar0629

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • The Half Blood Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 02:49:53 PM »
You asked the right person!

It is a mix of both your capacities and values. The Sorting Hat also takes into account your personal choice, don’t forget that! The Sorting Hat mostly works off of what motivates you, and your reasons for doing things.
For example, four people do the same positive activity (such as volunteering):

-The Hufflepuff does it because it will help others
-The Ravenclaw does it for experience and to learn something new
-The Gryffindor does because it’s an adventure and/or looks fun or interesting
-The Slytherin does it to better themselves and attain status/credit

Looking to the characters might help as well. Think about why they were sorted into their individual houses:

-Hermione was very clever and enjoyed studying and learning but was sorted into Gryffindor
-Snape was highly intelligent and inventive, but was sorted into Slytherin
-Neville was compassionate and kind, but was sorted into Gryffindor
-Luna was a bit of an airhead, but was sorted into Ravenclaw 

Hybrid houses are a mostly fan phenomenon and do not actually exist in the Potterverse, which means finding merch for your house will be very difficult, but if you really can’t decide, go for it!

Mostly, think about why you do the things you do and act the way you do. Your house does not dictate what you do, but why you do it.

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »
I've taken the Sorting Hat quiz on Pottermore several times and have gotten both Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Maybe I had changed as a person between each time I had taken it, maybe it was my mood, or maybe I answered each question in a certain way because I knew which result it would give me. Who knows? I like to avoid getting too deep into these things since it is a fictional universe, after all.

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, they are all very helpful! :D I don't take it too seriously either, but it's still awesome!

Pottermore was the first test I took, but unfortunately it put me in Slytherin, which couldn't be more wrong. I took the same test again yesterday and got Gryffindor, which is great, but now I can't get the same Patronus. :( I got a beautiful white Siberian cat on the Slytherin account, I'm very attached to it because my real-life guardian angel is the big white cat I had when I was little. He was my first cat, and he has appeared to me a couple of times. I also took the "test quiz" Kiwi posted, I got Ravenclaw as a result.

I read the pages about the hybrid houses, it's very interesting! Especially this was very helpful:

The way you decide which Houses are yours is not necessarily by looking at what you do, but at what would make you proudest and most content if you were strong enough to do it. Your sorting is what you want to be and what you believe you should do, whether or not you actually live up to it.

Going by this quote alone, I think Gryffindor would be the best choice. If I take the rest of the aspects into account, and if I could settle for a hybrid house, I think Gryffinpuff would be perfect. :D However, since it's likely that hybrid houses aren't widely "accepted" (for lack of a better word), I think I'm going with Gryffindor. Although I must say it hurts to let go of the earth element, that Hufflepuff represents... Earth has always been my element. :cry: Oh well, you can't have your cake and eat it, too! :P
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:32:00 AM by Broken Irishwoman »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal