collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Vectoring Shading Question  (Read 1710 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Vectoring Shading Question
« on: September 22, 2018, 07:42:09 AM »
Vectoring is fun. Yay, fun. I'm working on a vector of a G3 backcard, and I was hoping someone with more expertise would be able to help me out.
I don't want to make it a raster image, but I'd love to incorporate the soft shading (especially on the mane/tail) in a way. I can't find a solid answer as to whether gradients are rasterized or not. I know G4 vectorists use them for eyes/Rarity's hair, and I'd prefer to not have to do multiple shapes of darker and darker color to emulate the softness. I just cannot find whether or not gradients will be rasterized. I know masks are, so I can't just duplicate the tail shape and use that method.
Is there some hidden feature I don't know about? I'm using Photoshop CS6.
Here's an example of what I've got so far (the eye is janky). You can see what I mean by shading from the mane.
Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Vectoring Shading Question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 10:10:17 AM »
You can do vector gradients, but you may have to move to a dedicated vector application.  CS6 has limited vector features, I don't think it can do vector gradients directly?  I'd suggest Inkscape, since it's free.  Usually there's a separate tool for gradients; in Inkscape it looks like this:

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 12:06:44 PM »
I've heard good things about Inkscape, I'll play around with it tonight. Thanks!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 12:45:07 PM »
It's pretty nice - if you're familiar with PS, Inkscape is set up nearly the same way with a few quirks.  The UI isn't as polished or intuitive but you can't really complain about the price.  There's a ton of documentation and videos out there for pretty much every feature.  It'll import PDF vectors, so that's probably the best format to save out your current work in from CS6.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 08:07:52 AM »
In a vector program, you'd use a gradient mesh.

However, in photoshop:

If you need something soft, convert your PS shape for smart filters and add a gaussian blur.

If you need it to fade out, put a layer mask on it and fade it out. If you MUST keep it "vector" then maybe put a vector mask on it and add a gradient (?)

Also: This: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1143189

(^^; I only have Cs4 and CC to compare to, so that should be more specific to CS6. I know the vector tools did get a good upgrade in CS6)

Photoshop is a raster program and it is not robust with it's vector tools.

Plenty of professional artists use vector bases (smart objects or shape layers) and do raster on top. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:30:50 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal