collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Answered already  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Saphy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Answered already
« on: December 22, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
I feel dumb for this topic let's end it before I feel dumber
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:50:29 PM by Saphy »

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions wanted!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 05:37:49 PM »
An oc is a character created by you. Whether they are totally different to another character or really similar, it's still an original character. There are no laws with ocs, really! And you certainly don't have to ask permission to make one.

Now, it's debatable whether adding some extra markings to a pony makes them an original character. I don't think this would really be one? It that pony is still recognizably that pony, she isn't really different. For example, if you took Fluttershy, added white gradient hooves and changed her name to Flyingshy, she would still look like Fluttershy, so she would still kinda be Fluttershy. The real thing that determines who a pony is is their symbol which is true for all gens. If her symbol isn't changed, she is just the same pony with more markings and a different name.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:51:40 PM by Saphy »

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 05:43:48 PM »
Edit: I was proven very wrong and feel stupid now
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:52:22 PM by Saphy »

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 06:05:34 PM »
Wow, those marks are interesting! She looks beautiful with them  :)

Characters can be represented multiple ways. Medley is a full character, just because she isn't a recurring character in FIM doesn't mean she is not as much as a solid character as say Rarity. Medley has a back card, she is in the comics, and she was in the G1 movies and in the show. Characters in stories are not more of a character than just the toy characters. Let me ask you a question: why would you never do it to a G4 but you would do it to a G1?

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 06:38:26 PM »
Edit: more dumb stuff I said ...can I just delete the topic please?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:53:03 PM by Saphy »

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 06:50:58 PM »

Characters can be represented multiple ways. Medley is a full character, just because she isn't a recurring character in FIM doesn't mean she is not as much as a solid character as say Rarity. Medley has a back card, she is in the comics, and she was in the G1 movies and in the show. Characters in stories are not more of a character than just the toy characters. Let me ask you a question: why would you never do it to a G4 but you would do it to a G1?

I think Medley's marks are from someone using the old acne cream treatment for spot removal - it wasn't realised at the time that it bleaches the colour out of the plastic as well!  :shocked:
I've got to agree with you there, pretty much every pony is a 'full character', they appeared in comics, their personality is on their backcard, etc - just as much as those who made it into animated form in any generation (be it 1, 2 (the PC game), 3, 3.5 or 4  ^.^ The G4/G1 remark makes me a little sad too, they might not be entirely your cup of tea, but please respect the ponies that came before :cry:
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »
In my opinion she would still be Medley but I think it's okay if you want to write a story about her.  It would be closer to a fanfic story about Medley than an original character story. unless you drastically change her symbol. It could still be related to music somehow fi that works in your story. That being said if you do decide to use her in a story you create  I don't think anyone is going to look down on you for doing so.

The G1's had backcard stories the UK comics and fact file as well as the TV specials and movies and many MLP storybooks.  The comics gave us more insight on some characters like Majesty. (she never appeared in the animated shows but was a very prominent figure in the comics) Moondancer's backcard mentions her becoming angry at Cotton Candy for eating too many flowers and placing her in hibernation. I think it's unfair to say that most G1 characters are not well developed in comparison to G4 ones.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 07:46:02 PM »

I think Medley's marks are from someone using the old acne cream treatment for spot removal - it wasn't realised at the time that it bleaches the colour out of the plastic as well!  :shocked:
I've got to agree with you there, pretty much every pony is a 'full character', they appeared in comics, their personality is on their backcard, etc - just as much as those who made it into animated form in any generation (be it 1, 2 (the PC game), 3, 3.5 or 4  ^.^ The G4/G1 remark makes me a little sad too, they might not be entirely your cup of tea, but please respect the ponies that came before :cry:
Actually I love g1 I meant no disrespect I was asking people to tell me because I didn't know and wanted to find out now I did find out so of course I won't use that I may borrow just the fault markings but I won't make an oc of it if it's an established character already as more than a toy

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 07:47:10 PM »
In my opinion she would still be Medley but I think it's okay if you want to write a story about her.  It would be closer to a fanfic story about Medley than an original character story. unless you drastically change her symbol. It could still be related to music somehow fi that works in your story. That being said if you do decide to use her in a story you create  I don't think anyone is going to look down on you for doing so.

The G1's had backcard stories the UK comics and fact file as well as the TV specials and movies and many MLP storybooks.  The comics gave us more insight on some characters like Majesty. (she never appeared in the animated shows but was a very prominent figure in the comics) Moondancer's backcard mentions her becoming angry at Cotton Candy for eating too many flowers and placing her in hibernation. I think it's unfair to say that most G1 characters are not well developed in comparison to G4 ones.

Ponyfan
I was saying as far as I knew many including this one weren't I know some are but that's why I asked to be sure before I did something stupid

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Answered already
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 01:04:12 AM »

Ponyfan
I was saying as far as I knew many including this one weren't I know some are but that's why I asked to be sure before I did something stupid

I can pick up the threads of this discussion and I don't think you should feel bad for asking something you didn't know the answer to. That's how you learn stuff ;)

Really there is a great similarity in the weaknesses of animated exposition in both G1 and G4 animated series. This is because animation tends to focus on a smaller group of characters and represents them repeatedly. I understand your misconception because there are a lot of G4 fans who assume G1 lore is tied up with the animated series, just as G4 is. I think you will agree if you think  about it, though, that several released G4 toys are not properly addressed or fleshed out by the FIM, just as G1 animation didn't touch on all the characters Hasbro made even in one release year.

Medley is actually one of the most established characters in G1 pony lore. When she waved her tail it played music like a harp and she could create the sound of thunder by drumming her hooves on the clouds. I call her one of the most established because, even though she was never sold in the UK, she was a key and prominent character in the stories of my childhood (many books, comics etc) and this is true for a lot of the early G1 ponies.

The UK comics provided fairly detailed character material for most of the early G1s and most of the subsequent ponies sold in the UK line, under their UK names of course. The backcards in the UK were individual stories for every pony up until 1992 and then from 1993 they had set card stories (the US did this in 1991ish I think). In the UK we had comics from 1985 to about 1993ish, as well as MLP and friends, story annuals each year, the fact file, and lots and lots of story books. We also had the animation from the US released here although I don't think it ever aired on TV in the UK, just released as VHS. I personally think that most of the G1 animation was not that important in the UK for defining characters as it mostly contradicts the UK comic and fact file and so on (Shady is a good example).

Basically, you shouldn't feel bad for asking things you don't know. But yeah, because of the comic, and the books, and the fact each individual pony up to the later years had an actual story of their own on their cards (sometimes more than one, UK ones often differ from US ones), G1 is arguably the most fleshed out in terms of individual ponies. You just have to look around a bit more for that information (but the wiki has a lot of the US card stories at least if you ever wanted to read up on them!)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 01:53:48 AM »
Please don't feel bad Saphy. Never feel bad for asking a question.

Taffeta said what I was trying to say much better than I did. I was trying to say there was more to G1 lore than jus the animation and that many characters that only appeared briefly in the animation/or not at all still had stories about them through the comics, fact file and backcards. The UK usually got different backcard stories than the US and a lot of them are much more interesting. 

I also said if you wanted to use her in story you should feel free to do so. :)  You can still write a story about her even if it contradicts Medley's character.  I think many people create their own personality for their writing starting with the basic characters.

I am working on a story about G1 Applejack. There are some things that fit with her established character (basic character, being clumsy) but other things that probably don't, (impulsive, always getting herself into some kind of tricky situation) That's how I see her in my stories.   No one has ever said "You can't write about Applejack that way" and I never meant for my post to sound like that about Medley.    :sad:

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 05:27:48 AM »
When I play with the toys she'll represent the character in that spot but I'll design a new character for that spot may just use her flaw marks I do occasionally put a cannon character in the story for like a minute but only to tie in the lore (Luna visited my main characters nightmare once, trixie performed at a birthday party) but for the most part o avoid them.
I wish I could get to all those back card stories and comics I had no clue comics were a thing and only knew baby Quakers and rainfeather had back card stories cause my friend wrote a fabric around those

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 06:28:49 AM »
Please don't feel bad. As Taffeta said, asking is how you learn! I never meant to say that you couldn't write stories about an established character. I was just trying to say that Medley was a character :) If you want to read the back cards, just search a pony's name on the wiki and her page will have her back card. There is also a back card gallery on the wiki! Ponyland Press has a whole section for complete scanned comics too :)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 06:46:31 AM »
When I play with the toys she'll represent the character in that spot but I'll design a new character for that spot may just use her flaw marks I do occasionally put a cannon character in the story for like a minute but only to tie in the lore (Luna visited my main characters nightmare once, trixie performed at a birthday party) but for the most part o avoid them.
I wish I could get to all those back card stories and comics I had no clue comics were a thing and only knew baby Quakers and rainfeather had back card stories cause my friend wrote a fabric around those

The Wiki has a great collection of card stories now, I've noticed this. Mostly US cards but some UK ones as well (and some UK are the same as the US, some are very different).  The comics, I think LadyMoondancer has a lot of those scanned up and someone can probably give you the link. I have a few on my page (link in sig) but only a select handful of example stories. Basically, though, if you want to write or create a story about a G1 pony or any pony that suits you, then do it. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. If that Medley to you represents a different character in your head, that's all right as well. I think people just wanted you to know that Hasbro's Medley had a lot of character development around her. But hey, I have a Fluttershy who I don't even call Fluttershy. She's Flutter Magic and she has nothing to do with G4. She's a pony my sister gave me as a travel mascot. We have a lot of jokes between us about her character. It's nothing like Fluttershy's. It's your pony. You can do what you like with it, and that includes the story telling. And now you know there is ponylore available, you can always check that out too if you are interested. So it's all good, right? :D

It is harder to gather together G1 ponylore because G1 happened in a pre-internet age and so a lot of the material people have in their collections and not necessarily online. Maybe that's partly our fault for not sharing more of what we have. I have a lot of backcards and G1 UK stuff I'd like to get online, but time is not on my side :/ My Dad digitised all my spoken word pony cassettes from my childhood (because I no longer have a cassette player) and from the US that I have (not a complete collection, some are still missing) so I have listened to some of these recently and remembered how cute they were. I am unsure though about putting those online because of the copyright issues involved :/

I think the Wiki also has pdf scans of some of the US storybooks. Not sure about the UK ones. US ponylore for G1 in books is a lot less magical than in the UK - typified by a lovely story about Glory feeling out of place because she's a magical creature in a regular world (meaning ponyland). In the UK, the ponylore was full of fairies, goblins, elves, dragons, mermaids, witches and all other kinds of things. There are also a lot of named locations, like Whispering Wood, Weird Wood, Rainbow Mountain, Misty Mountain, Memory Lane etc, but I don't think anyone has ever tried to create a proper artistic map of these locations which is a bit of a shame. :/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 06:50:27 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal