collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Collection status  (Read 2040 times)

Offline legodrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Collection status
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 11:10:59 AM »
I am what you could say an avid collector, but my interest on the G4 brushables wich I collect have been dwindling a little as of late. It is getting kind of tiresome to just get new mane six ponies in new poses or new gimmicks or new accesories. Still can’t understand why don’t Hasbro release more characters  :huh:. Even when the line is focused on kids (I understand) how many Twilights or Rainbow dashes would a kid want? :P

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 11:41:12 AM »
Mmmm, I have a pretty sizeable collection now, but I am a lover of lots when I can get them. In saying that however I usually only target them if I can get them for a good price and when there are at least a few ponies in there to make it worth my while (e.g, ones I need/can add to my collection).

I find lots are the only way I can afford to get the harder to find ponies anyway if I am lucky to get them, and also a terrific way for me to upgrade, which I am perpetually doing. So I don't mind getting doubles (unless they are ones that constantly haunt me... Peach Blossom and BBE Gusty I'm looking at you!!) but I usually end up finding them new homes which helps raise the means for the next pony additions ;)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 11:45:38 AM »
I've been in that place since the 90's.  I mainly focus on nirvanas now, and accessories/merch.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »
I've been in that situation for a long time.  Part of "the hunt" was what I liked about MLP collecting, but there was nothing else to hunt!

I eventually sold off large portions of my collection after admitting to myself that I wasn't a completionist by nature.  But if I ever change my mind--at least I will have ponies to hunt down again, lol.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 12:01:43 PM »
I've been in that situation for a long time.  Part of "the hunt" was what I liked about MLP collecting, but there was nothing else to hunt!

I eventually sold off large portions of my collection after admitting to myself that I wasn't a completionist by nature.  But if I ever change my mind--at least I will have ponies to hunt down again, lol.

A friend of mine once told me that he sold his entire collection of Garbage Patch Kids cards, once he had completed it. I was so shocked that anyone would do that. He explained that the fun had been in chasing them down and that once there were none left for him to acquire, the whole thing lost its purpose and he gave it up, lock, stock and barrel.

That scared me and I am slightly concerned that this might happen to me. I mean, I *really* hope it doesn't but I'm old enough and wise enough to know that you never know 100% how you will react when something actually happens...

I've always really looked forward to the day when my collection was as complete as I want it to be (which shouldn't be too far off now) so that I can sit back and really bond with each pony and admire the collection without the stress of having to fill gaps. But, since my friend said that, I've always had this niggle in the back of my mind that the same thing will creep up on me  :blink: I hope not!

How do others feel about this, just out of curiosity? Anyone else scared this might happen to them?
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 04:01:10 PM »

A friend of mine once told me that he sold his entire collection of Garbage Patch Kids cards, once he had completed it. I was so shocked that anyone would do that. He explained that the fun had been in chasing them down and that once there were none left for him to acquire, the whole thing lost its purpose and he gave it up, lock, stock and barrel.

That scared me and I am slightly concerned that this might happen to me. I mean, I *really* hope it doesn't but I'm old enough and wise enough to know that you never know 100% how you will react when something actually happens...

I've always really looked forward to the day when my collection was as complete as I want it to be (which shouldn't be too far off now) so that I can sit back and really bond with each pony and admire the collection without the stress of having to fill gaps. But, since my friend said that, I've always had this niggle in the back of my mind that the same thing will creep up on me  :blink: I hope not!

How do others feel about this, just out of curiosity? Anyone else scared this might happen to them?
That's an interesting point of view, but i guess ponies are different than cards because they are 3d shapes and not a piece of cardboard.It seems to me that cards have more of that collect them all aspect than ponies, which you can easily enjoy even if you have only one.Also i'm pretty sure i personnaly won't be like that since i love some of my ponies way too much (even if i get all the g1s, i think i'll still look at my 4-Speed and think that i love him because he's so beautiful for example)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:03:04 PM by Jorgito93 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 05:41:57 PM »
I haven't had an actual 'new' pony for my G1 collection for a very long time. Sometimes I get a new variant of a pony I already have, but it isn't the same excitement. I still could not ever imagine selling my ponies. I am a completionist but only for MLP, not for any other collection. I have joked to my mother that I sell the furniture first if it ever comes to it and she knows I'm more than half serious.

So it hasn't happened to me. But I have parted with other collections because I lost interest and realised someone else could love the items more than me. I think it depends on your perspective and motivation for collecting in the first place. For me MLP was an irreplaceable part of my childhood as well as something that my sister and I both share a deep love for even now...so I wouldn't sell them, even if I never got another new pony again :/.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shatyr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2017, 10:29:23 PM »
My mother asked me for years if I had "outgrown" my pony phase. I think she's finally realized it is not, and never was, a phase. Ponies for life.

However, I have lost passion for other toys. I have started to sell my Lego sets, the Barbies no longer hold any sentimental value, the Quints were just taking up space. I know that other people will treasure the things that no longer bring the same joy to my life.

If I ever managed to "complete" my collection, I'd be over the moon. That one achievement would mean the world to me. I already plan to donate my collection to a toy museum when the time comes, so being able to donate a complete collection would be fantastic. Selling them isn't even remotely an option. I'd go without internet first.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »
I think

I think this happens to a lot of collectors! Over the years I've seen many people sell off their collections--sometimes huge collections. But I also think it's not something to be scared of or worry about.  You are having fun collecting them right now, your fun is real and will not be diminished if you sell off your ponies someday. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline SunbeamV

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 04:46:21 AM »
I'm at the point where the ponies I still actively want can all fit written down on one piece of notebook paper. It's kind of fun thinking I might "catch up" in the next year or so and just focus on the new ponies in stores, just like when I was a kid  :lol:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »
I'm at the point where the ponies I still actively want can all fit written down on one piece of notebook paper. It's kind of fun thinking I might "catch up" in the next year or so and just focus on the new ponies in stores, just like when I was a kid  :lol:

On one side or both sides? :silly:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SunbeamV

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2017, 12:25:07 AM »

Only one side! if I write small :P

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2017, 12:07:13 PM »
I went though all of mine and have a box of duplicate ones, I need to update my want lists though from my swap. Right now I just am not finding any ponies in the wild. I want to know where are all the gen 3 ponies.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2017, 12:25:04 PM »

Only one side! if I write small :P

:snicker:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2017, 09:25:52 AM »
My goal has always been to complete the g1 pony line, including petites, dream beauties, charms, and sea ponies... and now that dream should be achieved here shortly as sweet scoops charm is on her way (thanks again, dazzlekitty!!!). After that I’m going to focus on getting the rest of the seapony floats.  I’m not an accessory person so thankfully I won’t be traveling down that fun headache but I think I’ll focus on really arranging my ponies in a nicer way in my pony room.  After that I’ll focus on some nirvanas that may tickle my fancy. I won’t be on any super active hunts... well... I say that NOW.  It will always change I’m sure (just like I said I wasn’t going to want to buy sweet scoops charm lol).  There’s always something pony related so there can always be something for me to strive to collect. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal