collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ebay: Exorbitant Shipping Costs - Resolved  (Read 3761 times)

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Ebay: Exorbitant Shipping Costs - Resolved
« on: December 18, 2017, 05:15:33 PM »
I bid on 2 small lots from the same seller not realizing they didn't offer combined shipping.  The Shipping was stated at well over $25 for each lot, so I paid $53.45 in shipping. Almost double the cost of the combined price of the 2 lots (under $35).

2 Boxes arrived today
Cost of the boxes $1.99 each
Cost of shipping $10.05 each.

What do I do about the $29+ in Exorbitant fees?
I entered into a contract for the stated shipping fee, but ebay also has something against exorbitant shipping costs?

Granted I got the lots for a steal, probably the shipping turned everyone else away.

I'm kind of feeling bad for the seller, I got a good deal on the ponies, but I can't dismiss a $30 shipping overage!
I know the seller still has to pay ebay for the shipping fee, but they should never have charged this much in the first place. I even messaged them before paying to ask for combined shipping in a MEDIUM flatrate box (under $15).

What Should I do?

Obviously I messaged the seller asking for a reasonable explanation for stealing my $30. I would have let $5 or $6 slide as I know how expensive ebay fees are.

I don't want to be the one to tarnish a perfect rating, but unwilling to work with me on combined shipping - not even using a packing service. Each was in a ziplock no paper, peanuts, bubble wrap or air pillows. Not even a self printed label just Ziplocks, tape & a box.

Thought I might touch base with everyone....

She offered me a $10 refund - I didn't respond. She asked ebay to step in.
Ebay sided with her. I appealed - ebay again sided with her.
I then called Ebay they said they would reevaluate my claim & transferred me to Paypal where I filed a claim. She never responded to the claim... Finally I got my money back. & both of us had eachother's feedback removed by ebay.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 04:00:39 PM by ChipsteRJ »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay: Exorbitant Shipping Costs
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 06:53:22 PM »
Yeah sadly Ebay wants their cut of the fees, so they would be on the seller's side here...  *sigh*
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline MightyRose

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »
I have wondered about this as well! I have noticed lately people charging upwards of $40 for posting 5 ponies inside the U.S! I would be interested to hear what ebay has to say, as it seems an underhanded way of charging people. I almost bid on a few lots but noticed how high the shipping was and worried the seller was ripping people off.
G1 pony goals: Merry Treats, Powder, Sunlight, Gusty, Sugarberry, Baby Sugarberry, French Moonstone, Drink 'n' Wet Baby Ponies, Birthflower ponies, baby Rainfeather!
G3: Candy Cane, Snowflake, Mistletoe, Divine Shine ponies!
Wanting to buy LPS accessories and Breyer horses!

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 07:12:37 PM »
I heard a response from the seller:

Considering the EXTREMELY LOW cost of each lot, you STILL are having issues with this? Are you serious? You are the only buyer giving me issues with this. You got these ponies for an UNREAL price. But still you are unhappy. If you were not happy with buying these and paying for the shipping prices then perhaps you should not have bid on the items at all. I made it very clear to you before the listings ended that combined shipping was not available and that the shipping prices were stated as is. No refund will be available for this. I do apologize but once again everything was upfront and nothing was being kept secret from you. You knew the shipping cost when you bid on the items. I hope you realize your own mistake and learn not to make it in the future. Next time perhaps you should not bid on an item if you are unhappy with prices.

.... After I found out about no combined shipping I ALMOST requested to cancel.

Now to decide Neutral or Negative. I did get what I paid for, so Negative might be too harsh????
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:17:15 PM by ChipsteRJ »

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 08:26:44 PM »
I have wondered about this as well! I have noticed lately people charging upwards of $40 for posting 5 ponies inside the U.S! I would be interested to hear what ebay has to say, as it seems an underhanded way of charging people. I almost bid on a few lots but noticed how high the shipping was and worried the seller was ripping people off.

Yeah, shipping costs sure are crazy! Makes buying from overseas affordable!
Sending overseas is a big hit to the wallet, I sent 70 ponies to Sweden 5 weeks ago and shipping cost $75! ( I paid $50 to have 30 shipped to me Domestically standard not Priority.... over charged by $29)

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 09:34:50 PM »
If the seller doesn't state in their listing that they offer combined shipping and the shipping was clearly stated, I'm sorry, but I don't think a negative or a neutral is warranted. I also have noticed the high shipping prices on some sellers' lots and I just refuse to bid on them. I figure these sellers either don't know the cost of shipping or they inflate the cost hoping the buyer won't notice to make extra money. It's on the buyer to pay attention. It's shady, but apparently eBay doesn't discourage it.

If it were me, I'd ding stars for shipping and leave feedback reflecting your anger about the inflated shipping price and the seller's rude message to you (as they were quite rude). As a seller they need to think about their customer.

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 10:01:55 PM »
ah I bet I know the seller, I didn't bid for that reason. I am positive shipping was jacked up to account for the low reserve, unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it as you bid knowing there shipping price

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 10:13:51 PM »
Sorry you are facing this situation. :(  I think if a seller is unable to combine shipping, it should be stated in the listing.  I also thought that sellers are not supposed to profit off of shipping? I'd be interested to know if/how this is stated in eBay's policies too.  If fees were the concern, I remember from selling that eBay offered a shipping discount to help offset fees (eBay had told me that directly).  If you feel comfortable, it may help to let eBay know how the seller handled the shipping costs and their response message to you.  I've found calling eBay helpful in the past and they even guided me as to leaving appropriate feedback on some difficult transactions.  Remaining professional as a seller is important and I personally feel like this seller's response to you did not adhere to a professional standard.  I would have been disappointed as well due to lack of Priority shipping and packing material for the shipping price paid.  Did the listing state expedited shipping? 

Best of luck and I hope this resolves in the best way possible! :)   
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 10:40:25 PM »
My feedback would be neutral - because feedback should reflect the experience, not just the item. I'd comment that they answered a query in a rude manner, and that you won't be a returning customer. If I was in a physical store, and the prices were high, but the items amazing, and I questioned the price to a staff member and they said that, I wouldn't give them good feedback. I always try to compare the experience to a brick and mortar purchase - because shopping online shouldn't be unpleasant, just because it's online! Being online doesn't make your questions any less valid (I've heard plenty of dumb questions in retail, and those staff members still remain professional!!).

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 11:12:15 PM »
I would either leave a neutral or a positive with one star rating for shipping fee.  The only reason I would still leave a positive is you knew the cost when you bid but neutral might make more sense considering they were rude in their reply to you.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 01:40:12 AM »
I'm going to go against the grain here:

I don't feel the seller's action or response warrant a neutral or a negative. They were upfront in their listing, and the items sold for a very low price. I have seen a lot of sellers make up for this in shipping, and unless Ebay says otherwise, I don't feel it truly matters whether the bulk of the item's cost is listed as the item's price or the shipping fee, as long as the two together come out to what I'd expect to pay for an item.

As far as their response, the tone could have been kinder, but there was nothing explicitly wrong with what they said. There were no false accusations, name calling, etc... just blunt honesty.

I understand why you're feeling cheated, but unless someone better versed in Ebay's policies sees a violation, I think the seller's points are valid.

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 03:20:04 AM »
I tried to leave feedback and the only thing I can't rate is the shipping.

Looking at ebay policy.... Looks like a grey area- I thought it was more strict at one point....:

Be sure to specify shipping costs and related service charges in your listings. This was done
What you can charge

Actual shipping cost: This is the amount for shipping the item. It should be what you paid the carrier. (Inflated, but looks like no limit)

Handling cost: This can include the cost of packaging materials and insurance cost, if any. ($29 handling cost??????) - the box cost $1.99!

Delivery confirmation and extra services: If you choose to use these options, you must add them to your shipping and handling costs, and you can only charge what they actually cost. Examples of services include: (No Extras)

Certificate of Mailing

Certified Mail

Collect on Delivery

Delivery Confirmation - free with Priority Mail and discounted with some other services when you print shipping labels on eBay

Registered Mail

Restricted Delivery

Return Receipt

Signature Confirmation

Special Handling

Tax and government-imposed fees: Only applicable federal, state, country, city, Value Added Tax (VAT), or equivalent taxes may be charged.

Tips:

If your shipping and handling costs are higher than average, consider explaining in your listing what the shipping and handling costs include. (Failed to do this)

We recommend that you provide tracking information. Using tracking information, delivery confirmation, or signature confirmation can help protect you if a buyer reports that they didn't receive an item. This is one of the qualifications for getting an automatic 5-star rating for shipping time.

If you want a certain amount for for something you put in a reserve price- yes, it costs $2 to put a reserve on, but charging $29+ extra on shipping with the the ebay fee... a reserve  would actually have been cheaper!
I have no doubts that the shipping costs deterred the seller from getting a better price.
- is this possibly fee avoidance? Even though either way ebay still gets their cut?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:37:46 AM by ChipsteRJ »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 07:48:48 AM »
I would definitely leave honest feedback to the effect that your seller flew right off the handle, started YELLING at you and went completely unprofessional when you inquired about $29 in unexplained handling costs.  Write something that will warn off others from dealing with their attitude, but I would stick with that angle 120% as you did get the items for a nice price :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 08:31:01 AM »
If the shipping amounts were stated ahead of time and the items were delivered within the desired timeframe, then I don't think a neutral or negative is appropriate.

SOMEONE was going to be making a profit off $25 in shipping;  does it really matter if it was the seller vs a shipping service?

Yes, eBay used to be very strict on this because sellers would sell items for a penny and then make all their profit from the shipping fees, which didn't used to be charged eBay's Final Value Fee.  But now, eBay charges the FVF on the shipping as well.  So basically eBay no longer cares.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 08:00:45 PM »
So I called ebay tonight.
They did agree that sellers are obligated to charge a reasonable shipping fee. The statement in the listing is not enough to warrant a contractual agreement to charge double the actual cost.
They suggested opening a case against the seller requesting a partial refund and furnishing photos of the actual shipping charges. 

So, in a bittersweet week.... Something good happened on the evilbay!

There are always good & bad experiences, from a completely different seller I got the following:
I sent you a message via the paypal return but didn't know if you'd see it so thought I would contact you here. I guess when I listed this I didn't realize how light it was so I was able to send this first class instead of priority (the mailman said it goes in the same time) and save you some money on postage so I sent it back to you - thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal