collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: DHX hit with major data breach (beware of spoilers)  (Read 65276 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: DHX hit with major data breach (beware of spoilers)
« Reply #390 on: January 12, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »
I also spent a good number of hours at that other site reading the thread these leaks came out in. Regarding the whole "Rarity = British" thing, I believe that was DHX summarizing the voice for current, FIM Rarity, not the new one in this future iteration. Which, honestly, may be even worse, because it's a Transatlantic accent, not British. You'd think they would know how to describe it correctly, but I guess it just happens to be as simple as refined = British?

That makes it even worse. It's like even the people making the show can't tell the difference *rolls eyes*. Although there isn't such a thing as a British accent anyway. A few scouse and brummie ponies would upset the applecart a bit. Or maybe a geordie or two. That would definitely shake it up. I think Rainbow Dash would make a good geordie ;)

Not a fan of the stereotypes of British stuff in US media. But I guess that probably goes both ways.

You people do have a variety of pleasant accents and charming slang.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #391 on: January 12, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »
So I guess it won't happen any time soon...British accent seems to = posh and villainous or working class Dick van Dyke mutations :/

Try being American and southern... :silly:

Southern accent usually means you're the idiot on whatever TV show/cartoon/movie/entertainment.

Even MLP has it's examples of it.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #392 on: January 12, 2018, 04:34:07 PM »
So I guess it won't happen any time soon...British accent seems to = posh and villainous or working class Dick van Dyke mutations :/

Southern accent usually means you're the idiot on whatever TV show/cartoon/movie/entertainment.

That sounds about right.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 12, 2018, 07:59:26 PM »

That sounds about right.

Eeyup!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 13, 2018, 04:34:43 AM »
All of these ponies will be accent-free in international dubs so I'm neutral on that issue.
I watched FiM in five languages and don't think anyone made AJ American or Rarity have a different accent. If anyone wants to laugh watch it in French and see that Rarity's "fancy speak" is just normal words :lol: Like her frequent use of 'couture' is just her saying 'fashion'. Sometimes it's better to stop trying to make these ponies have nationalities.
They did great in having no written language. It's mostly just symbols. That made the show a bit more fantastic and more accessible for small kids who can't read and international viewers.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 13, 2018, 05:03:32 AM »
I thought the world looked a bit empty because they rarely used even symbols after the first season.  And the "text" we did see was just badly mangled Latin letters.  I'm one of those people who loves a world that has those fun little details in it like a fire extinguisher in the corner or speakers can be seen in the ceiling.  Having a fantastic alphabet scrawled across store windows or on signs would have been awesome.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:05:12 AM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 13, 2018, 05:14:45 AM »
I thought the world looked a bit empty because they rarely used even symbols after the first season.  And the "text" we did see was just badly mangled Latin letters.  I'm one of those people who loves a world that has those fun little details in it like a fire extinguisher in the corner or speakers can be seen in the ceiling.  Having a fantastic alphabet scrawled across store windows or on signs would have been awesome.

Everything needs tweaking in this show for little kids :lol:
No offense, but do they really need a Tolkien-style own written word and language to make the world detailed? I thought they covered that as much as a show for kindergarteners can cover.

Reminds me of when the German adult fandom freaked out because in our dub Discord is not a "draconequus" but a "dragon pony". They freaked because they didn't use the latin name, which essentially means "dragon horse" anyways, and acted like not using the latin one was an attack on the mythology of FiM.
Well it's the same word. Just translated to give little kids watching a better understanding of what Discord is supposed to be. In earlier episodes they even translated 'manticore'.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #397 on: January 13, 2018, 05:49:32 AM »
So I'm going to be the Japanese mediaeval geek now, but dragon horses (ryuuma) come up occasionally in the stuff I read about too. And the word in Japanese is literally the kanji for dragon and the one for horse, but both have significant mythical properties and connections to the folk religions and even Buddhist stuff in old Japan, so nobody's all that bothered by 'dragon horse' as a translation.

People are too obsessed with the classical world of the West. To me discord looks a lot more like he's got art influences from asian dragons rather than from the western dragon anyway, so maybe they should be calling him a ryuuma instead, if they want to be really on point. Or whatever the chinese reading is of those characters.
Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Seriously, people are semantically idiotic when it comes to finding ways to divide fandoms. But the next time they get their pants in a twist over it, tell them that.

There are words that get translated out wrong between dubs of things. I mean, I am still mad at a series I love where onmyouji was translated as a sorcerer, and sorcerer has other connitations, but onmyouji is a yin yang practitioner who exorcises evil spirits, makes predictions based on various different elemental and astrological stuff and really isn't a sorcerer. But dragonequus and dragon horse and dragon pony are not that different as to justify being insulted.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 13, 2018, 06:00:23 AM »
I don't know about a whole language.  In fact, no, no need for a full language since they will be speaking the local language anyway.  But they could come up with letters and a few obvious words that would show up on signage like "store/shop".  Going back to using symbols would actually be the best way.  Just give that little lived-in feel of information being given.  Even little kids know there is information everywhere and want to know what our crazy squiggles mean.

Or maybe I was just a very weird little kid.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:16:29 AM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #399 on: January 13, 2018, 08:32:23 AM »
On the note of Discord, and jumping off track a little, to me he never looked like a dragon of any sort really... other than the long body. To me his is a Chimera... and I know the only reason behind his species name is because they wanted to keep an equine aspect... at least that is my assumption.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #400 on: January 13, 2018, 08:39:08 AM »

That sounds about right.

Eeyup!

OR, you have a show like the Walking Dead where a bunch of the actors are British doing southern accents. Not that I have a problem with it so much as...they don't really sound like they're from Georgia (LOL!) The south is a lot like Britan, everyone else things it all sounds the same till you really listen.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 13, 2018, 09:27:50 AM »
So I'm going to be the Japanese mediaeval geek now, but dragon horses (ryuuma) come up occasionally in the stuff I read about too. And the word in Japanese is literally the kanji for dragon and the one for horse, but both have significant mythical properties and connections to the folk religions and even Buddhist stuff in old Japan, so nobody's all that bothered by 'dragon horse' as a translation.

People are too obsessed with the classical world of the West. To me discord looks a lot more like he's got art influences from asian dragons rather than from the western dragon anyway, so maybe they should be calling him a ryuuma instead, if they want to be really on point. Or whatever the chinese reading is of those characters.
Spoiler

Seriously, people are semantically idiotic when it comes to finding ways to divide fandoms. But the next time they get their pants in a twist over it, tell them that.

There are words that get translated out wrong between dubs of things. I mean, I am still mad at a series I love where onmyouji was translated as a sorcerer, and sorcerer has other connitations, but onmyouji is a yin yang practitioner who exorcises evil spirits, makes predictions based on various different elemental and astrological stuff and really isn't a sorcerer. But dragonequus and dragon horse and dragon pony are not that different as to justify being insulted.

I've always thought that about discord as well.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 15, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »
Do you think we'll have a chance of the ponies looking horsey and pretty again? Or is that pointless?

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 15, 2018, 02:33:44 PM »
Well some of those designs are pretty horsey.  I'm conflicted because some of the ones I like the most also loose the stylized legs/hooves traditional to MLP.  But I think I could live with it.

I've just noticed the Spirit toys in the isles recently.  I don't know how popular the show/toys are.  But I'd love to think that Hasbro might notice and turn MLP back towards its roots because of it.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 15, 2018, 02:57:28 PM »
Well some of those designs are pretty horsey.  I'm conflicted because some of the ones I like the most also loose the stylized legs/hooves traditional to MLP.  But I think I could live with it.

I've just noticed the Spirit toys in the isles recently.  I don't know how popular the show/toys are.  But I'd love to think that Hasbro might notice and turn MLP back towards its roots because of it.

It'd be nice if Spirit Riding Free got its horses right.   -_-
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:18:45 PM by Leave a Whisper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal