collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: DHX hit with major data breach (beware of spoilers)  (Read 65269 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: DHX hit with major data breach (beware of spoilers)
« Reply #465 on: February 10, 2018, 02:32:19 AM »
If the reddish AJ redesign with fetlocks and a creamy blaze wins out she will be one of the most beautiful ponies ever. So I hope they go with that one. RE: "Oversaturated Eyesore" :P

Edit: I think they would never ever do that color combo again, but my dream would be if they just replaced Fluttershy with G2 Jolly and gave her yellow/pink combo to Pinkie Pie.

Oversaturated Eyesore?

Quote from: Al-1701
There are far more appealing designs in the pony pantheon than these over-saturated eyesores

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 10, 2018, 03:46:05 AM »
Staring at these six for seven years has made me realized their colors need better variance in shade and saturation.  Maybe it's just Flash, but there's no excuse for making Pinkie the same color as stomach medicine.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 10, 2018, 06:37:54 AM »
Oh.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 10, 2018, 07:15:09 AM »
On the leaked (potential) designs, there are a lot of them that I think are cute but am unsure if I want them to make 'official'.  Like, the designs with a lot of "horsey" dapples are cute, buuuuut . . . not really very MLP-ish IMO.  MLPs have never had 'horse' markings, except Bubbles & Seashell's blazes (but those are super symmetrical & stylized).  To me the dapples etc make the designs look like Strawberry Shortcake horses.   Cute?  Yes.   MLP-ish?  Ehhhh . . .

I've been trying to figure out what bothered me about these designs and THIS IS IT, that's a perfect description of what looks 'off' about them to me!! They're nice designs as fanart or w/e (I mean I know they *aren't* fanart, probably, but idk how else to put it), but they just look "off" for official designs.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 10, 2018, 07:55:18 AM »
So I guess you all dislike G4 Sunburst and his family's designs because they have blazes and stockings.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #470 on: February 10, 2018, 08:16:09 AM »
G4 Sunburst is one background character in a sea of "traditionally" designed ponies (solid bright/pastel body color), which I'm fine with.  He is the exception, not the rule.  I see that as being different from a main character.  In some of the concept designs ALL the main characters are dappled or have horse markings, which I especially don't care for.

In two of the leaked design sets the ponies don't have butt symbols at all and instead it's like . . . "This horse marking on her chest can ~replace~ her symbol, this diamond necklace can ~replace~ her symbol."  I don't like that at all.

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

^  This is the set I'm talking about.  Hope they don't use this one.

(Even aside from the lack of symbols it's my least fave, lol.  Twilight's head looks odd, Rainbow Dash is too busy, and I don't like Fluttershy's green horn.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:32:41 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 10, 2018, 08:31:58 AM »
They look awesome to me so I'm neutral on that. Also, symbols/cutiemarks is what makes MLP MLP. It's been copied countless times by other companies. They would never do away with it. The point of concept art is to have a visual brainstorm and pick the things you like best.

I just don't think they will do anything drastic. They are so cheap, we can be glad if they do different bodytypes. G2 was probably the cheapest gen mold-wise because they didn't even make a third for the pegasi :lol: they had gimmicky hair clips for wings. Ahh the 90s and its obsession with butterfly hairclips.

I would not be surprised if G5 comes out and they hardly look any different. I'm trying to not get my hopes up based on these creative designs. I would love to see pegasi with different wing shapes, feathered hooves, cloven hooves...

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 10, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »
I'd like to see prototypes of the actual toys rather than the drawings.  It's easy to make flat, still images for concept art.  I want to know what the actually product will look like.  I can't imagine any of these design will translate into viable toys.  I don't think most of them would actually work well when animated.

And I still say boo to cloven hoofs.  Feather hooves being the hallmark of earth ponies would be cool, but cloven hooves don't work on equines (they cease to be equines in fact).

Come to think of it, the cutie mark is supposed to be a form of dappling.  Why mess with a design that has stood the test of time for three and a half decades when no one has objected to it?  Some of these designs seem to be different just for the sake of being different (the worst reason to be different).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:42:47 AM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 10, 2018, 11:54:51 AM »
And I still say boo to cloven hoofs.  Feather hooves being the hallmark of earth ponies would be cool, but cloven hooves don't work on equines (they cease to be equines in fact).

Unicorns aren't equines, they are monsters. They have liontails, goats feet and narwhal teeth coming out of their heads. There is no logic to them, there is also no logic to MLPs. They wouldnn't be able to live with these proportions, their huge heads would drag them down. Let's end MLP. It's a zoologist's worst nightmare :P

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 10, 2018, 11:58:02 AM »
I personally like the more traditional horse markings.  Though I think some of those designs go way overboard on AJ.  I mean a blaze, white mouth, freckles *and* eyebrows?!  Waaaay too much going on there on one face.

The thing that makes it "not mlp" to me are the hooves.  I prefer the more stylized hooves/legs.  I do get that this design is kind of similar to g2  but that's one of my least favorite gens.  It's something that I'll probably get over eventually though if it does happen.  especially if the toy comes out nicely.

Also, between HQGC and Basic Fun scratching my g1 itch, I'm feeling a lot more lenient about watching the main line go  in a slightly different direction.  They have to have symbols though.  That is an absolute must.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #475 on: February 10, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »
I am neutral on the hooves.  On the one hand, my immediate reaction to them is also "NOT mlp."  On the other hand, they are really cute in a lot of those drawings.  (And G2 did pave the way for them.)

I am more in favor of them when they're the same color as the pony's leg than when they're a completely different color.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 10, 2018, 12:27:37 PM »
I'd like to see prototypes of the actual toys rather than the drawings.  It's easy to make flat, still images for concept art.  I want to know what the actually product will look like.  I can't imagine any of these design will translate into viable toys.  I don't think most of them would actually work well when animated.

Come to think of it, the cutie mark is supposed to be a form of dappling.  Why mess with a design that has stood the test of time for three and a half decades when no one has objected to it?  Some of these designs seem to be different just for the sake of being different (the worst reason to be different).

I'll take this over the FiM aesthetic. Though I'm not a fan of cloven hooves either.  Even Schleich, Safari Ltd. and Breyer don't do lion tails and cloven hooves on their unicorns.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:33:48 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 10, 2018, 12:30:08 PM »
I personally like the more traditional horse markings.  Though I think some of those designs go way overboard on AJ.  I mean a blaze, white mouth, freckles *and* eyebrows?!  Waaaay too much going on there on one face.

The thing that makes it "not mlp" to me are the hooves.  I prefer the more stylized hooves/legs.  I do get that this design is kind of similar to g2  but that's one of my least favorite gens.  It's something that I'll probably get over eventually though if it does happen.  especially if the toy comes out nicely.

Also, between HQGC and Basic Fun scratching my g1 itch, I'm feeling a lot more lenient about watching the main line go  in a slightly different direction.  They have to have symbols though.  That is an absolute must.

A blaze and white mouth is called an Apron Face. So I wouldn't say that part is too much. I haven't wanted an Applejack toy this much since the G3 one.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:34:14 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 10, 2018, 01:56:27 PM »
Well, the G4 ponies are an anatomical nightmare.  G1 through G3 are much better built.  Now I'm worried about how misshapen the G5 ponies will be.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 10, 2018, 02:18:31 PM »
Well, the G4 ponies are an anatomical nightmare.  G1 through G3 are much better built.  Now I'm worried about how misshapen the G5 ponies will be.

Something I've been saying for years.

I'm hoping they'll be somewhere between a G2 and a Sweetheart Sister.

But that's just me setting my expectations too high.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:20:37 PM by Leave a Whisper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal