collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: DHX hit with major data breach (beware of spoilers)  (Read 64551 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: DHX hit with major data breach (beware of spoilers)
« Reply #405 on: January 15, 2018, 04:15:34 PM »
I've just noticed the Spirit toys in the isles recently.  I don't know how popular the show/toys are.  But I'd love to think that Hasbro might notice and turn MLP back towards its roots because of it.

What qualities of the Spirit toys were you hoping to see reflected in the MLP's? I think the Spirit toys are neat! The larger toys are really detailed. They look more like Breyers than MLP's (resin mane/tails, no articulation) but the paint jobs are just awesome. And the girl dolls are all different heights and shapes, which is cool. There's even a blind box series, which surprised me because I didn't think the show was that popular. Usually they break out the blind boxes for the big hits.

I like the toys, but...the show just makes me cringe. It's like... "Here's ALL the cliches about girls and horses! You like this stuff, right, kids?" And the lack of depth of any of the episodes makes me feel like I'm watching cartoons from decades ago, not ones made in the past two years. Also they take lazy animation shortcuts. (For example, the white pattern on the paint horses? Yeah, it's the same pattern on EVERY paint horse in the show. At one point there's three paint horses on the screen at once and you can clearly see they all have white patches in the same exact places. My friends and I were laughing so hard XD )

That being said, it's harmless fun and I don't think it's a 'bad' show, I'm just sad it's not better. In addition to the show and the toys, there's a chapter book series I've seen at the bookstore. And I think I've seen one or two girl's T-shirts with Spirit characters. I think that's about it for merchandise.

Hard to say if this counts as a very popular show, though I do wonder. It's Netflix-only, so it has a limited audience. And Dreamworks has enough money to throw into some merchandising to hope to fan the flames of the show popularity.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 15, 2018, 04:23:31 PM »
I've just noticed the Spirit toys in the isles recently.  I don't know how popular the show/toys are.  But I'd love to think that Hasbro might notice and turn MLP back towards its roots because of it.

What qualities of the Spirit toys were you hoping to see reflected in the MLP's? I think the Spirit toys are neat! The larger toys are really detailed. They look more like Breyers than MLP's (resin mane/tails, no articulation) but the paint jobs are just awesome. And the girl dolls are all different heights and shapes, which is cool. There's even a blind box series, which surprised me because I didn't think the show was that popular. Usually they break out the blind boxes for the big hits.

I like the toys, but...the show just makes me cringe. It's like... "Here's ALL the cliches about girls and horses! You like this stuff, right, kids?" And the lack of depth of any of the episodes makes me feel like I'm watching cartoons from decades ago, not ones made in the past two years. Also they take lazy animation shortcuts. (For example, the white pattern on the paint horses? Yeah, it's the same pattern on EVERY paint horse in the show. At one point there's three paint horses on the screen at once and you can clearly see they all have white patches in the same exact places. My friends and I were laughing so hard XD )

That being said, it's harmless fun and I don't think it's a 'bad' show, I'm just sad it's not better. In addition to the show and the toys, there's a chapter book series I've seen at the bookstore. And I think I've seen one or two girl's T-shirts with Spirit characters. I think that's about it for merchandise.

Hard to say if this counts as a very popular show, though I do wonder. It's Netflix-only, so it has a limited audience. And Dreamworks has enough money to throw into some merchandising to hope to fan the flames of the show popularity.

I was just thinking of the original Pretty Pony and MLP were meant to tap into the idea that little girls wanted to *own* a real pony and not the idea that the ponies themselves were stand-ins for the little girls.

I think that might be the real shift between the ponies that are portrayed as being more "horsey" and those that are clearly more anthropomorphised.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:28:56 PM by Sunset »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #407 on: January 15, 2018, 04:58:55 PM »

What qualities of the Spirit toys were you hoping to see reflected in the MLP's? I think the Spirit toys are neat! The larger toys are really detailed. They look more like Breyers than MLP's (resin mane/tails, no articulation) but the paint jobs are just awesome.

I like the toys, but...the show just makes me cringe. It's like... "Here's ALL the cliches about girls and horses! You like this stuff, right, kids?"

I had heard they'd murdered Spirit in the new cartoon. But I think most old cartoons were up on plot, for all they lacked in animation skill, because practically everything now is frowned on if it doesn't have at least ten minutes of some character promoting being friends, being yourself or other nauseating unrealities of children's lives.  I mean yeah, those things happen, but I started to worry when Thomas the Tank Engine stopped worrying about being a really useful engine and started fretting about what his friends thought and whether they were really friends or not. (Yes, I have seen CGI Thomas. Early morning TV is lame when getting ready to go out. Judge me if you will :P) Frankly, I enjoyed it more in Welsh. Probably because the words I understood were 'railway' 'platform', 'engine' and an array of colours.

I liked kids' shows when stuff happened and sometimes there were consequences and people were still allowed to hate each other with impunity so long as they got the job done.

In any case, I actually wouldn't buy properly horsey MLPs. I mean, I love my Dream Beauties, but as a one off gimmick. I don't need a G1 rerelease, but I don't want to go more equine. I am fine with cartoony to a degree, so long as it's not anime level deformed like the newest ponies are (some of them, the guys look quite cool and it does suit Spitfire for some reason).

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 15, 2018, 05:30:22 PM »
I haven’t read everything in the spoiler tags but will we see any of the new charecters from the movie in Season 8?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline TJgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 15, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »
I haven’t read everything in the spoiler tags but will we see any of the new charecters from the movie in Season 8?

Ponyfan

As far as I'm aware, no.
We do see Mount Aris/Seaequestria again though, and they do clearly reference events from the movie.
So it is officially canon.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 15, 2018, 06:03:01 PM »
I refuse to accept the existence of a CGI Thomas the Train. I loved that show when I was little. My daughter loved it too.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 15, 2018, 07:14:38 PM »

Ponyfan

As far as I'm aware, no.
We do see Mount Aris/Seaequestria again though, and they do clearly reference events from the movie.
So it is officially canon.

Thanks TJgamer. :) 

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:17:45 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 20, 2018, 01:33:58 PM »

I wouldn't want Hasbro looking to the Riding Free toys. Aside from the stablemates and traditionals, I've been hearing some bad things about the quality. Plus I have two Just Plays and trust me, they're not exactly sterling examples.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #413 on: January 20, 2018, 04:18:14 PM »
Dream Beauties look like they're about to jump off a cliff, because they gave them 'actual horse' faces, and horses don't smile.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Zargata

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • KABOOM!
    • View Profile
    • http://Ogrebattle.weebly.com
« Reply #414 on: January 20, 2018, 04:46:19 PM »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 20, 2018, 05:27:30 PM »

Episode 1. The picnic from...

Offline mlly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 20, 2018, 10:12:47 PM »
*sigh*
The new more horse-like designs/art style is leagues better than the current one but I honestly really dislike the fact that they are reusing the main six again as it makes me fear for what the toyline will be like...
Talking multicolored fantasy horses is a simple but very versatile concept as seen with G1-G3 and various other similar toylines throughout the years but they decide to limit themselves with the same characters and same designs over and over again...

MLP isn't comparable w/ Transformers bc while current Transformers does give more focus on the more popular characters in its media and give them more toys, they still also release toys and fiction of a lot of lesser known older characters and also introduce a lot of new ones in both toys and media alongside the popular ones.

Unlike the MLP that ONLY has the current show's core cast in both its media and toys, it's like the previous generations or older characters don't exist or only sometimes exist as minor lore fodder for the current gen., with no attempts to expand the cast or add variety in the franchise and toyline.

I don't understand why Hasbro won't do with MLP what it does with Transformers...

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 20, 2018, 10:33:13 PM »
I don't understand why Hasbro won't do with MLP what it does with Transformers...

Because GIIIIRRLLLLS.  (Massive sarcasm in case anyone missed it.)
I guess they think girls can't remember/become attached to more than six characters?  Or some other ridiculous nonsense like that.  Who knows.  :huh:
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 20, 2018, 10:41:49 PM »
Think we'll get baby ponies again?

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 20, 2018, 11:02:37 PM »
I sort of doubt it - unless it's something like the Crusaders (blech) where they're just younger kids.
Babies imply families and Hasbro doesn't seem interested in steering the MLP property down that river. I mean they might have to make like more than one male pony in that case, to fit the stereotypical Mom+Dad+Baby thing.  G1 and G2 got away with it because there was precious little media that had to explain things like family dynamics, and for G1, the child themselves was positioned as the parent/authority figure more often than not. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal