collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: DHX hit with major data breach (beware of spoilers)  (Read 65243 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: DHX hit with major data breach (beware of spoilers)
« Reply #360 on: January 09, 2018, 07:03:23 PM »
I've being watching this opinion degrade many genres of fiction, especially speculative fiction which is near and dear to my heart.  So it is a heated topic for me, maybe not for ponies specifically but for the results of what it implies.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #361 on: January 09, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »
I think it's time for a little warning.

These leaks are bringing out a lot of information, and it's understandable that there will be a lot of different opinions on the subject and how it may be handled. This is all big news, news we shouldn't even be seeing!

Please be respectful to each other, no ones thoughts or opinions are any less than anyone else's. Remember why FIM is gone? Let's not have that happen here.

And please be careful with sharing the information and images. A lot of brony sites are not permitting these images at all, and spreading it could get you into greater trouble. Just be careful!

Thanks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 09, 2018, 10:29:28 PM »
Thank you, Bekuno.

One of the pieces of information in the leaked info that interested me is the line in the Q&A page that said "Will the new cast reflect diversity/culture/ethnicity/race/gender/etc.?" and Meghan replies "Yes ;) "

I love this idea! I really think it's important to have a diverse cast, especially with a toyline's flagship brand. Of course we're still in the early stages, but I wonder who they are looking to add to the cast in this regard. We know Meghan would like an African American voice actress for Applejack, and I think I read that they're considering a British accent for Rarity? That doesn't necessarily mean hiring a British actress, though, since a lot of people can do a British accent. XD

In regards to gender, I'd love more male main characters. I know we wouldn't see a male member of the Mane 6, but some more prominent male side characters would be good. And usually in G4 background scenes it always feels to me like there's 2/3 female ponies and 1/3 male ponies. (Which reminds me, we haven't seen a single concept of Spike so far! Could this be the first gen without a dragon sidekick, or are they waiting to hammer down the Mane 6 designs before they move on to Spike?)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 10, 2018, 02:11:12 AM »
Were their dragons in G2?

I am curious how they're going to represent human diversity in a species/genus of fantastical creatures who have three types.  I can suppose a diversity of location where dialects of the language and customs are different.  The collective news about Applejack comes together in my mind as "a girl from the hood", which sounds like an interesting concept though as prone to cliches as the southern farm girl (though, every archetype is anymore).

And both Applejack and Twilight Sparkle still have me asking this.  If they're going to remove so much of what defines them as characters, then why bother to use them and not create new characters?  I don't think the little kids will quibble if they're different ponies.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:03:43 AM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 10, 2018, 03:33:47 AM »
In regards to gender, I'd love more male main characters. I know we wouldn't see a male member of the Mane 6, but some more prominent male side characters would be good. And usually in G4 background scenes it always feels to me like there's 2/3 female ponies and 1/3 male ponies.

I don't mind this at all. Given how most shows for boys only have 2-5 females over the entire span of the show, some characters voiced by the same actress (looking at you, Transformers lol) and a strenght of FiM,imo, is that female characters are represented in all walks of life. Even as a ruling duo, the rulers are sisters and not a hetero couple.

There is a trend of casting a male voice actor for a female role right now because haha it's funny that character has a deep voice. But it steals roles from actresses who already have less opportunities. So I hope MLP keeps the female-heavy cast and voice cast. Also wouldn't hurt to give each character ine actress and not spread them as much. It's nothing but cost reduction to hire less people for more roles and in my country it's mostly unheard of having the same actor for 6 roles.

I even think most of the foals should be voiced by women with high pitches because kids go through voice changes and it's just jarring. Even the girls.

I am still thinking about them brainstorming a token male team member. Imagine who it would be? Rainbow Dash. They would never make the more feminine characters male. Which would be something that would actually be fresh and I would support in the name of changing the game.
Like a male Fluttershy, that would be quite something. Girls would still want the toy, parents wouldn't get it's a boy. Similar to Strongarm in Robots in Disguise who is a blue police truck so the parents will buy the female character for their sons :lol:

I can't imagine anybody else getting turned into a boy and not end up in old gender stereotypes. Rarity would just be the typical business man. There are tons of male leaders in the fashion industry. Applejack, so essentially just Big Mac. Twilight... magical progenies are usually mostly male. Especially when they're also nerdy.
RD is a tomboy who likes sports. Please. Pinkie Pie is a hyperactive jokester, we have seen male versions of all across the cartoon landscape.

Really the only interesting option is Fluttershy because reserved, shy, even cowardly but cute male characters are super rare. Usually sensitive male characters are the star of their own show or at the very least they are brave co-leads (Steven Universe, Finn in Adventure Time, Marco on Star Vs Evil,  Arnold in Hey Arnold, etc.) But someone who just nurtures in the background? The team mom? "I love animals and tea parties unironically without being a joke about my lack of masculinity". Can't think of anyone like that right now (except FiM's own Thorax, whom I love).
But he's not a toy. Especially with the color pink and big eyes and made to sell unicorn merch :lol:
A male nurturing unicorn with self-esteem issues is probably too risky for HasBRO tho.
So I can see them introducing a seventh pony who just hangs out with them and has a cool surfboard and loves to wrestle with RD or whatever :cool: And another one who is in love with Rarity  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:37:01 AM by Zapper »

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #365 on: January 10, 2018, 03:44:29 AM »

Spoiler

In this one it looks like they were throwing around some different style ideas. I adore the 1st row, but unfortunately it sounds like they plan to go with either style 9 or 10, which I personally think look the worst. At least they have snouts again?

I'm not a fan of the art style in this one, but it raises an interesting idea. Will magic no longer be limited to just unicorns? It looks like the earth ponies may have like, "magical girl" markings that allow them to use magic as well? I would love to see magic being used by all types of ponies honestly.

There's nothing too new in this one. I just really adore the style this one is in and kind of wish the reboot could go with a less cutesy look and more more traditional, elegant, magical horse look!

I'm sorry, but the first image... concept 1-10. This is really nitpicking but the anatomy of the front part of the ponies' bodies. I feel like it only works on 5 & 6, and that's because of the angle. horse legs don't work like that. I like the faces & ideas but if you're gonna do concept art for horses, why not... look up the anatomy of horses >.<
The 3rd image with the TLU looking horses is great. I love that style!

I'm curious to see what they come up with. In a way, I feel like it's a bit of a shame we're getting these leaks, but it's fun to see the process of how they're trying different styles etc. Bit sad that we get the same 6 ponies, but eh. Hopefully they'll make more characters. I do like that different wings, horns and fetlocks look to be a thing.

Al-1701 yes there were dragons in g2. Princess Silver Swirl comes with a dragon. I don't know about the comics, however.
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Princess_Silver_Swirl

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 10, 2018, 07:50:18 AM »
Thank you, Bekuno.

One of the pieces of information in the leaked info that interested me is the line in the Q&A page that said "Will the new cast reflect diversity/culture/ethnicity/race/gender/etc.?" and Meghan replies "Yes ;) "

I love this idea! I really think it's important to have a diverse cast, especially with a toyline's flagship brand. Of course we're still in the early stages, but I wonder who they are looking to add to the cast in this regard. We know Meghan would like an African American voice actress for Applejack, and I think I read that they're considering a British accent for Rarity? That doesn't necessarily mean hiring a British actress, though, since a lot of people can do a British accent. XD

In regards to gender, I'd love more male main characters. I know we wouldn't see a male member of the Mane 6, but some more prominent male side characters would be good. And usually in G4 background scenes it always feels to me like there's 2/3 female ponies and 1/3 male ponies. (Which reminds me, we haven't seen a single concept of Spike so far! Could this be the first gen without a dragon sidekick, or are they waiting to hammer down the Mane 6 designs before they move on to Spike?)
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a male main 6 character. I think it's long overdue, in fact, since every generation's main leads have been females. In fact, they could do it like the semi-new anime "Cafe Stile", where one of the main characters is actually a trap, and everyone just thinks he's a girl. Nice little surprise twist.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 10, 2018, 10:09:42 AM »
In fact, they could do it like the semi-new anime "Cafe Stile", where one of the main characters is actually a trap, and everyone just thinks he's a girl. Nice little surprise twist.

Please don't use the word "trap" when talking about people. It carries some bad connotations.

I'm sure any show runner would say they are in favor of diversity, but it's another matter if this is actually reflected in the show. I seem to remember FIM being promoted as a progressive show, but it still often uses gender and racial stereotypes in a very tone deaf manner.

I think MLP has potential for a diverse portrayal of gender identities. There is no real need for a cartoon horse to be explicitly male or female, and back in G1 the ponies didn't seem that heavily gendered (at least until they introduced Big Brothers). You see a lot of stories here from people who in their childhood used male pronouns for certain ponies, even if female ones were used in the official fiction. And Glory was at one point presented as a bridegroom to Moondancer in a porcelain statue, so there was some gender fluidity there.

Still, since FIM went out of its way to clearly gender all the ponies as either male or female, I don't have a lot of hope the new series will do anything different.  :P

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 10, 2018, 01:08:54 PM »
According to the leak, they would like to cast Tiffany Haddish as Applejack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32byfjSXIX0
I somewhat doubt that will happen, but who knows.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 10, 2018, 01:46:32 PM »
I don't see why a male main character would need a 'gimmick' (for lack of a better word). It'd just be nice to have a main male character, is all.

(not that there's anything wrong with girly dudes, I love 'em, but you get what I mean)

(edit: not that girly dudes are "gimmicky", I meant I didn't see why a potential male character "needed" to have a hook like that. If that makes sense, blah. Words. I fail at wording stuff.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:17:14 PM by Carrehz »

Offline lordalexander74

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 10, 2018, 02:12:34 PM »
I'm not exactly a fan of modifying what defines certain characters, and reusing their names/looks. I've developed a connection to a handful of G4 ponies, and to see them recycled like this doesn't sit well. Might as well create a whole new cast at that point.

In terms of character/toy design, the G4 toys aren't that bad, though their heads kinda look like mice. Especially the fashion style sizes. I think some of the appeal of the G4 design, they look more human. I'm not a fan of the G4.5 designs, the eyes and body/leg proportions are just awkward.

Least older generations of pony toys actually resemble equines, I'd be ok if G5 took some hints from older MLP toys.
Thanks to Lunacat for the lovely art

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 10, 2018, 02:40:31 PM »
Spoiler-ish rant ahead.
Spoiler
That first line in the pic gives them more of a horse-like look, and I really like that. G4 took time to grow on me because of the designs, and the G4Movie designs are a step downward, in my opinion. They are breaching the uncanny valley, if not looking more like taller, candy-colored, slender pigs with upturned snouts.

Out of all of those designs, I am mostly not a fan of the change in the breeds of pony. Maybe even a little perturbed. They never gave a straight answer on how cutiemarks actually work, so naming a unicorn a name that more befits a flier is irritating. At the very least, if a pony is named and the talent accidentally fits the name, that's cool. I like that idea. That leads me to feel that it would be pretentious of Fluttershy's parents to name her something that describes a cutiemark that she hasn't gotten. It adds a whole new layer of confusion to what your special talent is in respect to your name and species. I really, really don't like that at all.

If I may~~~

Fluttershy seems like a really silly name to call a unicorn, regardless if she has butterflies on her rump. The name has more of a "flyer" ring to it, so stripping her of her wings is a bummer. I really like the idea that she was given a talent to communicate with creatures that was outside of what the show tagged as "magic", so it made her more special in general.

Pinkie being a pegasus annoys me more. Being that earth ponies have an innate magic in the current G4 show, it sets her apart from most earth ponies because of her story and growth- the magic to make people laugh. Same as Fluttershy, it made her more special as an earth pony. Making her anything else could make her completely insufferable because of her personality. Floating upside down having a manic episode or buzzing around like she is hyped on caffeine? No, thank you. We get enough of that from Rainbow Dash, and there are points where SHE even pushes that limit, and she's not the one who is designed to make people laugh.

Though, if Twilight Sparkle is losing her horn, I'd prefer her to be a different color entirely. Purple has always had "royal" connotations (Renaissance festivals and historical references FTW, yo), and if there is any reason to believe they will alicorn her again, that just wouldn't be a surprise. In that regard, Twilight being purple is rational, and is much more faithful to what the color signifies. At least with a purple unicorn the contributing factors make a little more sense. Her name also doesn't sound reasonable for a pony that doesn't have the power to actually sparkle- she has lost the "magic of friendship" so a name that sounds ethereal doesn't fit. Twilight Sparkle as a purple pony without any actual unicorn magic just doesn't suit her any more.
Applejack will forever be my favorite- she has barely changed since G1, and I'm good with that.
how do we know that they're keeping their g4 names, though? And isn't this all nothing but concept art, anyway? The MLP movie concept art looked nothing like the finished product. Just sayin'. Maybe your rant is a little too soon?

Not too soon, no. There are documents in there that state that most of everything is staying the same. That's what a "reboot" is- using most of the same elements but changing it "enough" where it seems fresh and new to a new audience. That indicates that the Mane 6 will still be a major part of whatever movie/series that they came up with. Thank of how Spiderman has had all of the same bits and pieces (a teen who got bit by a radioactive spider and mutated, then became a crime fighter out of guilt, using older characters as templates etc etc), but smooshed into a new movie universe with new elements with changes here and there.

All generations and adaptations have run into the same issues because there has been more of an emphasis on the toys and less on the world and poniology. It's not a new problem for Hasbro.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #372 on: January 10, 2018, 03:02:56 PM »
First point. G1's most powerful pony according to UK canon was Magic Star. The UK didn't have a problem with a very powerful earth pony granting wishes and having psychic abilities. I see no problem with Twilight taking on that role, although the idea of changing the mane 6 actually might backfire if one generation gives her both horn and wings and then takes away both the next minute (making her look more like her G3 equivalent again). It would be better to start afresh with a new earth pony character. I have never liked the US focus on only unicorns being magical. I mean, the Glory tape talks about Glory bemoaning the fact she's a magical creature in a non-magical world, and she means ponyland when she says that. On the flip, I can list a lot of G1 ponies in the UK who are earth or pegasus with magic tricks, and a fair few unicorns without. I don't think most of the unicorns in the comic can wink in and out, but Lightning can, and he's a boy pony, so even they can have magic. I see absolutely no reason why we couldn't have a male character or an earth pony character who is the core of the magic in a new show.

Second point:

I love this idea! I really think it's important to have a diverse cast, especially with a toyline's flagship brand. Of course we're still in the early stages, but I wonder who they are looking to add to the cast in this regard. We know Meghan would like an African American voice actress for Applejack, and I think I read that they're considering a British accent for Rarity? That doesn't necessarily mean hiring a British actress, though, since a lot of people can do a British accent.

I totally support the diversity of cast for the show. What I would hate to see though would be that that association would then typecast a pony into a race or national role. I'm not going to comment on the Applejack aspect because as a white girl I don't think I have the right to do so, but you mention the idea of Rarity being English, and I have to go - really? I mean, if we were going to make Rarity as she is now, a fashionista, designer, obsessed with high society type stuff? We could only get more stereotyped if she was also a sociopathic evil villain bent on taking over the world.

I remember when Jem happened, Christy Marx wasn't allowed to make Jetta black but she was allowed to make her British (because nobody cared about that). She has my eternal respect because she not only insisted on an actual British voice artist for Jetta, she also tried really hard to pay attention to how Jetta might talk in the scripts. True, Jetta was originally meant to be Northern, and she's absolutely a Londoner in terms of culture and voice, BUT you can see the British element in her, and she's believable. Every single other English voice in Jem is not only done by an American, badly, but uses very un-English (or very outdated English) vocabulary. I would HATE to see Rarity - or any other pony - need to be 'English' to promote diversity. It's not going to give little girls in England who like running around with a football much to connect to if the 'English' character is a fashion queen. But really, do they even need a character to identify with in this way anyway? I mean, ponies are  already different colours and different species. So yeah, it's great to diversify the voice cast, but tying the voice cast to a particular character style creates its own problems and potential avenues for offense or stereotyping. 

Gender is still a bit of a minefield. I think right now the best that can be put into the show is probably a more equal role to male and female characters. I have no issue with more diversity than that gender-wise, but for some reason people think that shouldn't be in kids' shows. It would be nice to have a pony family with two dads or two mums, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

And none of this addresses disability diversity, which is a huge elephant in the room and probably the most underrepresented diversity element in all of the ones under discussion.

For me I think it's more important to represent that people are not always what they appear and don't always fit the stereotypes or the expectations. Good example of this - Ghoulia in the old Monster High. She's not able to communicate in the same way as the others, but they still understand her. And she's a zombie, which stereotypically implies she should be stupid, but actually she's a genius. Breaking stereotypes and expectations is a huge deal in terms of lessons to teach kids. Being who you are and true to yourself is more important than being forced to identify with a particular character because of a gender or ethnic related characteristic, not because that character resonates with who you are as a person.

We're in danger in current society of forgetting that diversity doesn't mean dividing people into groups, it means the opposite. I don't want a British Rarity just to be 'politically correct' to British people. I'd rather have a pony voiced by an American who actually has character values I identify with. And I genuinely don't care what ethnicity, sexuality or disability category the voice artist of that pony I like best comes from, because the important thing is that they have talent and they embody that character on the screen, not that the screen embodies their diversity group to the exclusion of all other interpretations.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 10, 2018, 03:36:12 PM »
I don't see why a male main character would need a 'gimmick' (for lack of a better word). It'd just be nice to have a main male character, is all.

(not that there's anything wrong with girly dudes, I love 'em, but you get what I mean)

(edit: not that girly dudes are "gimmicky", I meant I didn't see why a potential male character "needed" to have a hook like that. If that makes sense, blah. Words. I fail at wording stuff.)

Because at least to me it's a step backwards to make MLP boy characters you can get in any other show for boys. TV and movies are already male dominated, little boys are not short of brash, heroic, smart, geeky, hardworking or even evil role models. They don't need to watch MLP to see those.
But introducing a different kind of boy could add something new.
FiM is still a show for girls just like Transformers is for boys. And TF right now has one token female character who was deliberately designed to look less like a robotic bikini girl and that's interesting to me.

I was also merely going by what was stated in the e-mails. And they said they were thinking about turning one of the M6 male and it might be Applejack because she sells the least. My point was that if anyone should get turned male it should be Flutters because that would enrich the TV landscape a bit.
They probably won't touch anyone of them and just add new male characters. My money is still on the surf or skateboard :lol:

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 10, 2018, 04:07:17 PM »
I hope that they at least resemble horses, like g2 and Dream Beauties did. You can barely even tell that g4 ponies are ponies. The more pony-like faces and muzzles is a good start.
formerly nightmare muffin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal