collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have had $300 stolen just before Christmas!  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Faeriefalls

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Have had $300 stolen just before Christmas!
« on: December 12, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »
Sorry I havent been on mlparena in a few days! The most horrible thing happened to me. I got woken in the middle of the night to my phone notifying me of some ebay emails. They were order confirmations and shipping notifications on two transactions I never made. I hadnt been on ebay in months before this. I thought it was a scam email but my gut told me to check anyway and sure enough, on my pending bank transactions, were two suspiciously named transactions for $300!  :shocked: I have never had this happen so it freaked me out. Im still freaked out! I went onto ebay and there were two transactions made at some odd hour of the night for mountain climbing clips of all things! Not even anything remotely interesting.
Well my card has been cancelled and my banks fraud office flagged the transactions as unauthorised and fraudulent and hopefully I get my refund within 14 days. Even called ebay and the man said "yes it is very unusual for what you normally buy. Also the purchase was made by a third party outside your country"
 -_-
Well that is a hint and a half!
I know I didnt lose thousands of dollars or anything but $300 is $300 and I have bills to pay, presents to buy and Im hosting our family christmas this year! Just really super upset me and I wanted to tell someone! Thanks mlparena! Anyone else had any scary close ones?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona Ref
Formerly Witch

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Have had $300 stolen just before Christmas!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 03:04:42 PM »
I am so sorry this happen to you! I don't understand how this even happens. I had something like this happen to me a few years back.

I woke up to the bank trying to get a hold of me over some charges that had just came threw! They thought they were kind of weird. Yes they were cause I did not use that card for a whole year and did not even carry it on me. Some how someone was able to get all my information and charged $400 to join different adult sites! Um ya I don't do that stuff at all!!! Gross!

They closed my account and gave me a new one. I did not have to pay the charges. But I still worry to this day how some one across the US was able to get all my information.

My mom on the other had has had her CC info stolen three times while she was on vacation. All she can think that someone wrote down the info on the card when she was paying at a restaurant. It makes me sick that people are ok with doing this!

And even better! At work they hired a new person and for the last week people have been having things taken out of purses. Well yesterday he was caught in the act! Ran off with a girls wallet! Stupid him the work had all his information and many of my co workers knew were he was living at. The cops went there and arrested him! He took a total of $125 from one girl! $45 and a Debit card from another girl. Friday night he took another $15 from another purse and yesterday took a whole wallet! There are way to many messed up people anymore! :(

Make me sick and angry!!!!!!

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 03:07:26 PM »
this really sucks i hope you get your refund really soon! : (
this thing happened to my poor brother, who's already juggling two jobs, a kid, and now school. can't believe someone would steal from a person who so desperately needs every dime! its really messed up.

wishlist

Offline Faeriefalls

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 03:19:33 PM »
this really sucks i hope you get your refund really soon! : (
this thing happened to my poor brother, who's already juggling two jobs, a kid, and now school. can't believe someone would steal from a person who so desperately needs every dime! its really messed up.
I am so sorry this happen to you! I don't understand how this even happens. I had something like this happen to me a few years back.

I woke up to the bank trying to get a hold of me over some charges that had just came threw! They thought they were kind of weird. Yes they were cause I did not use that card for a whole year and did not even carry it on me. Some how someone was able to get all my information and charged $400 to join different adult sites! Um ya I don't do that stuff at all!!! Gross!

They closed my account and gave me a new one. I did not have to pay the charges. But I still worry to this day how some one across the US was able to get all my information.

My mom on the other had has had her CC info stolen three times while she was on vacation. All she can think that someone wrote down the info on the card when she was paying at a restaurant. It makes me sick that people are ok with doing this!

And even better! At work they hired a new person and for the last week people have been having things taken out of purses. Well yesterday he was caught in the act! Ran off with a girls wallet! Stupid him the work had all his information and many of my co workers knew were he was living at. The cops went there and arrested him! He took a total of $125 from one girl! $45 and a Debit card from another girl. Friday night he took another $15 from another purse and yesterday took a whole wallet! There are way to many messed up people anymore! :(

Make me sick and angry!!!!!!

Thanks for the support guys! I made sure I linked as many accounts to my phone so I need a CODE via sms now if I try to login. Slightly longer to login but a lot safer! I'm sorry your brother was targeted thats awful! By no means am I well off but I still have $250 in my bank that I can fall onto. And I work but still, thats an awful lot of money to me!

Persona Ref
Formerly Witch

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 03:24:07 PM »
Any amount of money stolen is a lot for anymore! :(

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 03:32:53 PM »
Thanks for the support guys! I made sure I linked as many accounts to my phone so I need a CODE via sms now if I try to login. Slightly longer to login but a lot safer! I'm sorry your brother was targeted thats awful! By no means am I well off but I still have $250 in my bank that I can fall onto. And I work but still, thats an awful lot of money to me!

any ammount is too much. 300$ is nothing to sniff at : (

wishlist

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 03:48:19 PM »

any amount is too much. 300$ is nothing to sniff at : (

no kidding!   augh how frustrating!  I am glad the bank can work with you... sometimes they are not so understanding!  *pony hugs*
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »
I am sorry this has happened to you.  I hope you have changed your email and password associated with ebay as well as, security questions.

Just a note for anyone facing ebay theft issues:

Make sure ebay doesn't have your paypal password for quick auction payments without logging into paypal.  You always need to log into paypal manually.  This new feature ebay has added is causing major problems with account theft. This is how people are able to bid and pay because your account is wide open for theft when you don't have to manually log into paypal to pay.  Sure it is easier to not have to log into paypal each time you buy something on ebay, but allowing ebay access to paypal without you putting in a password sets you up for theft.  My motto is if something says its quicker and easier then most likely it is quicker and easier for thieves to get my stuff.

Change passwords often and don't use your smart phone or tablet for ebay/paypal transactions it just is not safe enough or secure.

Hackers are a huge problem, so I am changing passwords about every other month.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 04:28:51 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Faeriefalls

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 09:33:43 PM »

any amount is too much. 300$ is nothing to sniff at : (

no kidding!   augh how frustrating!  I am glad the bank can work with you... sometimes they are not so understanding!  *pony hugs*

Yeah, luckily the guy said on the phone that I made the right choice to keep ringing. I was trying on the phone for an hour because it was outside their business hours but I FINALLY got transferred to the fraud line and he said I should expect a full refund within 14 days. I am honestly shook.

I am sorry this has happened to you.  I hope you have changed your email and password associated with ebay as well as, security questions.

Just a note for anyone facing ebay theft issues:

Make sure ebay doesn't have your paypal password for quick auction payments without logging into paypal.  You always need to log into paypal manually.  This new feature ebay has added is causing major problems with account theft. This is how people are able to bid and pay because your account is wide open for theft when you don't have to manually log into paypal to pay.  Sure it is easier to not have to log into paypal each time you buy something on ebay, but allowing ebay access to paypal without you putting in a password sets you up for theft.  My motto is if something says its quicker and easier then most likely it is quicker and easier for thieves to get my stuff.

Change passwords often and don't use your smart phone or tablet for ebay/paypal transactions it just is not safe enough or secure.

Hackers are a huge problem, so I am changing passwords about every other month.

Yep and I've attached a authentication process that means everytime I login or make a purchase online using my online banking or ebay, I have to enter a code texted to my personal phone. This has made my paypal for example about the only thing I know is secure!

Persona Ref
Formerly Witch

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 10:19:23 PM »
The amount is not the issue it is the principal of it all. Stealing from others is something i cannot stand in the slightest.

Sadly i work in the financial sector and we have crime workshops to highlight this stuff. It scares even me how easy it is for people to get in to others accounts etc.

Offline Faeriefalls

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 12:57:23 AM »
The amount is not the issue it is the principal of it all. Stealing from others is something i cannot stand in the slightest.

Sadly i work in the financial sector and we have crime workshops to highlight this stuff. It scares even me how easy it is for people to get in to others accounts etc.

As someone with not a huge income, I was surprised I'm even a target. My account had less than a thousand dollars in it. But it goes to show you have vulnerable we are without realising.

Persona Ref
Formerly Witch

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 09:05:27 AM »
Geeze :(  Loosing any amount is too much.  Hopefully things work out for you <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Faeriefalls

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 01:13:57 PM »
Geeze :(  Loosing any amount is too much.  Hopefully things work out for you <3

Thanks Melodys_angel! Me too. I’m lucky I’ve bought the majority of Christmas presents but I’m also hosting so I was going to start collecting food for Christmas soon! Looks like everyone will also have to bring a salad or bake on top of that to help me cope! Luckily my family has my back!

Persona Ref
Formerly Witch

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 06:04:33 PM »
*pony hugs* I hope you can get all of this sorted out.

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 09:33:26 PM »
Echoing the any amount is still a big amount....I had my bank card cloned three years ago and when I went to buy several things while on vacation was declined.

Figured it was odd because I knew I had the money and after walking out of the store noticed I had an alert text on my phone from my bank. Someone had spent $400 at a Walmart in Fort Worth, never been there and was three states from there when it happened. They closed the card but I didn't get my money back till after my vacation. Thankfully my BFF helped pay for things or I'd have been really screwed.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal