collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Opinions on customizing not so baity  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Saphy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Opinions on customizing not so baity
« on: December 11, 2017, 05:38:37 PM »
Is it wrong? I'm nervous now I've already removed a box mark from baby celebrations I bought him to customize by I got 2 people saying he's not baity one said please don't customize g1 on good condition and now I don't know what to do...what do you all think? I bought him to be my bilgewater (and similarly a bbe gusty to be a zombie and a so soft buttons to be my blissy, but every time I ask for help and tips on these someone somewhere responds saying not bait don't customize and well...I just don't know what to do I bought them for that purpose but now it feels wrong.

Offline CrystalSnowflake

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on customizing not so baity
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 06:09:22 PM »
When it comes down to it IT'S YOUR PONY.
You can do with it what ever you like.

I am sure you can probably sympathies with those of us that cringe when we see good condition(or better) ponies being used as baits.
I think it's just the general concern that at some point good condition ponies will be come harder and harder to find. Maybe even that ponies
will become extremely expensive and rare. I think the "Don't bait that" comes from that fear that one day all the ponies will be claimed or gone.

I really wish that blanks of each pose were available for customization. I really feel that is an untapped market.

Ponies should bring you joy. I think we can all agree that is probably why all of us like them. Do what makes you happy.
If you choose to customize it take your time and make the best possible custom you can. Make something you will love in
your collection for years to come.

~*Ponies for Sale*~
Sales Link - http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397254.0.htmll
G4 - Mint Ponies with Accessories and Backcards, Production Sample, Funko Chase, Blind bag, and Buildings

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »
It sounds as though the ponies you have there aren't bait: http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Bait

Personally I would sell them again on Ebay or on here and wait for some to come up in the right condition for a complete makeover.  Once they are gone they are gone. You might not get the appreciation your work deserves if you are baiting the kind of pony that most collectors would be happy to have in their collection and see in other's collections as well. However ultimately they are your ponies and therefore it's your choice.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 06:20:24 PM »
It sounds as though the ponies you have there aren't bait: http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Bait

Personally I would sell them again on Ebay or on here and wait for some to come up in the right condition for a complete makeover.  Once they are gone they are gone. You might not get the appreciation your work deserves if you are baiting the kind of pony that most collectors would be happy to have in their collection and see in other's collections as well. However ultimately they are your ponies and therefore it's your choice.

This, basically. Like they are your ponies so nobody can really stop you, but customizing a pony that's in a pretty good condition results in there being less of that pony existing, and if people continue doing so, it's going to become more and more difficult to find ponies (particularly G1s) in the future. That's why it's best to buy ponies that are obvious bait and can't be easily restored to use to customize, instead of ones that are perfectly fine for display.

Even with common G1s, if enough people take the mindset of "it's a common, so it's okay", that would still lead to there being a lot less in the future, and I think that's incredibly important to consider. We don't want to get to a point where the majority of G1s have been customized because a lot of people decide to customize G1s that are perfectly fine, as opposed to majorly flawed ones who can't be fixed.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:22:15 PM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 06:26:34 PM »
I would call the ponies I'm looking to customize ok condition not good but not bad. The celebration is marked up a little has a smudged eye, some brown by the neck, and partly rubbed off cutiemarks (now one box totally rubbed off cause I did that in starting to customize him)
The bbe gusty has dirt some might be cancer spots
So soft buttons is dirty which I don't think has any hope of removing without deflocking and her horn tip and ear tips are deflocked
I'm not looking to sell them once customized I'm looking to customize them for my own collection

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 07:29:13 PM »
It is your pony, you can do what you want for it. Though, NO ONE SHOULD MAKE YOU FEEL BAD FOR DOING WHAT YOU WANT TO YOUR PROPERTY. That pony is yours. Others have no right to make you feel like you did something wrong for doing what you want to your item and no one has any right to say what you can't and can do to an item you own and they don't. No one would like it if some random person said "I don't like how you decorated your Christmas tree!" If people are making you feel bad, I am truly sorry.

As for the topic of whether you should or not, I don't think it is quite good to customize perfectly good G1s. How people define "perfectly good" is varied, but mostly, it means a small haircut, minor marks (bigger allowed on NDS), some paint rubs, some stains, or better condition. If your pony has a big flaw but only one, people are uneasy if you customize that pony. For example, a pony with a major haircut but no other flaws could be rehaired - then she would be in great condition. I find it fine if your pony has major flaws you can't fix, like huge stains or marker that just won't sunfade away. But when someone customizes a pony with flaws that could be fixed, that is looked down upon. For example, marker that could be sunfaded, pindot that could be removed,and other things. If you fixed these things, you would have a non baity pony which people would gladly buy and put into their collection. Other's opinions vary, these are just mine. But again, this is YOUR pony we are talking about. Hope this helps :)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 07:36:43 PM »
This topic comes up every year or so it seems, and it almost always sparks a argument. xD

I also say its yours, you paid for it, do what you want.
you could resell them and hope you find a baity version of the one you want, but who knows if you will.
Similar to what Safflower said.. No one can tell you what to do with your own property.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 07:49:29 PM »
It's yours.  You want a custom of your OC.  That's the pose/base you wanted it to be.  Go for it.

As for the fear that one day all the ponies will be "gone" does that mean that we shouldn't customize G4 Pinkie Pie because one day she might be rare?  In ten or twenty years I'm sure we'll hear about it from the next generation of collectors.  There's no telling what the future will bring.  For all we know Hasbro will get taken over by someone nostalgic and re-release all the G1 poses with new names and call it G5.  The bottom line is that the person who owns the pony gets to decide what happens to it.  Whether or not anyone else agrees doesn't matter.

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 08:02:48 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help and opinions. Baby celebrations will become bilgewater. If anyone has an issue with this specific transformation please keep it to yourself however he is the only g1 who is not completely bait I will customize in ways that cant be easily undone. Bbe gusty will stay herself she's a zombie in my mind already anyhow i dont really need to add rage veins to imagine shes one she is in my heart. So soft buttons i will add markings in the form of material in a safely removable way that wont damage her to make her my blissy (as i already did turning baby cotton candy into my candycloud by adding removable wings..dang those two are alike lol) as for future custom only super baits and maybe g3 and 4 commons (i am now in hunt of super baits if anyone has but this isnt a sale thread so i wont say more about that lol)

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 08:17:13 PM »
There's somebody on eBay that sells a lot of 10 bait ponies for $10 if you want somewhere to get some baits! I haven't bought any of their baits but plan to in the future when I get more into customizing (I have a bait Skywishes I found locally that I still need to work on, so I'm waiting until she's done).

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 08:20:39 PM »
think you could pm me a link or do ebay links not work. if so just a title might help

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 08:25:33 PM »
think you could pm me a link or do ebay links not work. if so just a title might help

Sent!

Offline Alightir

• Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
    • Winter Soul Studios
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 09:49:01 PM »
Yep, I agree with the comments here! These were created to bring joy to people, and if this would bring you joy, I don’t think anyone would stop you. If you’re not feeling quite right about customizing a non-bait, that’s a great idea to sell that one and keep your eyes out for the same pose, but in bait condition. It might take longer, but being a G1, there’s got to be one out there like that. It might help settle the debate in your own mind, plus you’d be reviving a pony. :)

I really wish that blanks of each pose were available for customization. I really feel that is an untapped market.

Yes! That would fantastic! Hasbro, being a larger company, are going to go after what reaches the biggest audience, so maybe they see customization as too small an audience? If they did the marketing right though, I could see this as a way to unite the audiences over multiple generations. Releasing some of the most popular poses from G1 as a “customize your own”… that would be a huge hat tip to the people who have supported them for a long while now while letting the really little kids in on fun art projects! An “every pose” thing would be even more amazing, although unfortunately I’m not sure a big company would want to pour effort into setting up something like that. Still, it’s a worthwhile wish to put out there!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 10:51:49 PM »

Yes! That would fantastic! Hasbro, being a larger company, are going to go after what reaches the biggest audience, so maybe they see customization as too small an audience? If they did the marketing right though, I could see this as a way to unite the audiences over multiple generations. Releasing some of the most popular poses from G1 as a “customize your own”… that would be a huge hat tip to the people who have supported them for a long while now while letting the really little kids in on fun art projects! An “every pose” thing would be even more amazing, although unfortunately I’m not sure a big company would want to pour effort into setting up something like that. Still, it’s a worthwhile wish to put out there!

Well, they did have a G3 Blank that they sold but it was only available through the Hasbro Toy Shop as far as I know.  I bought a bunch at one point just to have them on hand.  But the downside was that it was only the one pose.

You can still buy them:
https://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/en/htsusa/brands/brands-M-Z/my-little-pony-htsus-brands-mylittlepony/-987920220

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 04:24:02 AM »
To add another perspective to this, I think I know how Saphy feels. I mention this story everyone once in a while about my custom Marius. He's a boy and I wanted him made from a real boy and not another pony turned in to a boy. I don't customize ponies myself but I found someone who assured me that the boys she using for customs were bait and beyond restoration. This way several years ago. Part of the deal was that my customizer could post pictures of my boy on her DeviantArt page and one day I checked out the comments. I was sad when I read a comment that the pony was now ruined and shouldn't have been customized. My customizer tried to explain that the boy she used was bait but this person continued on about how boys should never be used as customs. It took a little of my excitement over having my boy that I'd waited so long to be completed. I still love him and would never trade or sell him but just wanted to add that story to the discussion.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal