collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ebay-Why Aren't Buyers Leaving Feedback?!  (Read 3601 times)

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay-Why Aren't Buyers Leaving Feedback?!
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 05:02:37 PM »
I'm a buyer and I make a point of leaving feedback, especially when someone has put a lot of effort into packaging something well/nicely, and/or been a pleasure to communicate with (the latter is quite rare so I really like to give them a high star rating!).

My experience as a buyer is that *sellers* often don't leave feedback, even though I always pay immediately and am very communicative. I think it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, with neither buyers nor sellers in particular not leaving feedback.

I think it depends on the type of person you are. You only have to log in to Ebay and look at the summary to see which items you still need to leave feedback for, so even for the most disorganised person, Ebay takes the hard work out of it. 
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 05:13:40 PM »
I appreciate everyone's comments and again, I'm glad to see it isn't just me.

For those of you who've commented that leaving feedback is not that important to you, I give you some food for thought.  The trend of advice around these forums is to beware of sellers (buyers too) with little feedback or no feedback, so if everybody thought like this, we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot.  Also, I'm sure you'd be quick (and right) to leave negative feedback for someone if your experience is bad.  Why should someone who worked hard to give you a good experience suffer because there's no personal gain for you to recognize that?

Just saying!

So yes, feedback is important. But no, it's not the be all and end all.

Well I seem to remember a bit of that trouble-

Here's the thing though- feedback may not be important - but on ebay, it IS important because
1) if you have a certain number of positive feedbacks, they give you a break on the final value fee. 
2) your feedback profile (with the stars for communication etc.) don't even show up until you hit a certain amount of feedbacks per year-

So THAT is why I at least am disappointed when people won't leave feedack.  I know it's useless practically speaking, but I want my fee break from ebay. And I don't want my feedback profile to disappear- because it makes me look like a sketchy new seller.  It's as simple as that for me.

That only works on quantity of auctions, because as you indicated, the % flatlines if you take a break in selling.

When Ebay took away the idea that having positive feedback overall forever was less important than doing a lot of positive transactions in a 12 month period, I lost interest in feedback as a valid system of reputation building. Ebay fee rewards come for people who sell a lot, thus pay a lot of fees, thus feed into Ebay's system. It has nothing to do with actual customer service and prejudices private sellers who sell small amounts intermittently, even if they are honest, friendly and helpful.

I am not interested in a feedback system with multiple tiers and benefits for individuals based on quantity of sales. Someone has to pay for the deficit when people receive a fee break. Given the current cost of listing and selling on ebay for me if I and when I sell (given that I'm mostly at uni and can't), I suspect it's people like me.

The bottom line is that feedback is not about giving higher quantity sellers a fee break. It's about reporting on a transaction. And since ebay devalued their feedback by removing the % from being all feedback ever and stopped sellers being able to leave honest feedback on bad buyers, the whole concept became a waste of time.

I also feel the wiping slate after 12 months prejudices against sellers like me. And maybe it affects my sales and maybe it doesn't. But I don't think buyers leaving feedback or otherwise is the issue. It's the fact ebay's feedback system is broken.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 07:08:59 PM »
I wish ebay would stop trying to be a crappier version of amazon.  The changes to the feedback system over the last several years are all due to this "we're an online store without any of responsibilities or overhead" garbage.  They're not an online store, they're an online garage sale.  You go to ebay to buy the things you can't get on amazon(or anywhere else).  If it's available on amazon, you get it on amazon and take advantage of the less hassle/better return and refund policies.  Ebay really needs to get back to what they are good at and stop trying to be what they're not.  Ebay used to be a community, and every time a small seller leaves due to all the policy changes that punish them for not being a massive powerseller, ebay gets just that much worse.  All the changes have watered down feedback on both sides, but especially for buyer's feedback.  There are bad buyers, and they really should have some consequences when they behave badly. 

I do try to remember to leave feedback for sellers, and when I do, it's not copy and pasted.  I do have some go-to phrases that I use a lot, but I do try to make it applicable to each individual transaction.  For the best sellers, I really try to give particularly excellent feedback.  I know how ebay punishes sellers with the entire feedback system, so I do make an effort for any seller that's made an effort for me. 

I miss the old feedback system.  It was actually useful.  Now it's empty.  Being called a "good buyer" used to actually mean something.  Still, if leaving a few "good seller! A++" feedbacks makes life easier for some of the smaller sellers, I'll play that game.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2017, 03:12:23 AM »
Lately Ebay asked me to 'review' two items I bought. Bear in mind these were second hand items, and this wasn't a request for feedback, as I am up to date with that. THis was a 'review' request. You're absolutely on the nail when you talk about it trying to ape amazon, goddessofpeep. Ebay isn't what it used to be, and I think for me I've started to treat it the way it seems to want to be treated.

In any case, instead of complaining at people for not leaving feedback, complaints should be made to ebay for not making their feedback system worth anything. Interestingly that never happens.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal