collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help pricing a G3 Lot  (Read 573 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Help pricing a G3 Lot
« on: December 10, 2017, 03:24:41 PM »
(I hope I have this in the right place)

I think I'm going to sell off my G3s.  They're just sitting in the closet and taking up quite a bit of space.  They range in quality from poor to very good (I won't label any of them mint as most were purchased from thrift stores).  Some have frizzy hair or have marker (mostly on bottoms of hooves but some have been drawn on by someone-I'm assuming a child).  Some have other damage (such as teeth marks) but overall they're in decent shape. They are all in definite need of a spa day as they have terrible box hair and I don't have time to make them look pretty for a photo shoot.  I just did a count and I have 395 (not including the yellow Breezies that will be going with them).  There are a lot of duplicates but a good range of characters as well.  I haven't decided if I'm going to add in any accessories as I haven't sorted through those recently.

I have been going back and forth with putting them on the arena and selling them piece by piece, or putting them in a lot on my local classifieds.  I know that selling on the arena can take a lot of time, but then people here know what they're looking for and that might make some of them sell faster.  But that's also a lot of trips to the post office and a lot of packing things up and since it's right before Christmas, that's a lot of extra work. Unless anyone wants to pay shipping for such a large package as a single lot, then I think the mail is out. I would also hesitate to do international shipping because it's so outrageously expensive.  I kind of want to clear out some space, but if I wait until after the holidays things won't be so crazy so that might be better for selling.  On the other hand, if I put them in my local classifieds as a lot, buyer pays cash and they can come pick them up rather than dealing with postage and the chance that it would get lost in the mail. And maybe some lucky kid (or collector) will get a big chunk of ponies for Christmas.  And if they don't sell at all then after the holidays I can try again or maybe put them on here when I have more time to sell them in smaller bits.

So I guess I'm wondering if $600 is too much to ask for them as a lot.  That's still less than $2 a pony but where they're not all perfect, I don't know if that's aiming a bit high. Currently on the local classifieds there's a "huge" lot of vintage ponies that has 65 G1s for $500 so I guess my lot would have to be labelled "ginormous"?  I haven't really done a lot of pony sales so what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 03:33:18 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Help pricing a G3 Lot
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 04:51:37 PM »
I've never sold anything before, but I feel like it would be more ideal to sell the ponies individually (or in smaller lots of say, 5 ponies) over all of them in a listing at once. That way people who are only looking for certain ponies can easily buy the ones they need. I think that would probably sell a lot easier rather than a huge lot for hundreds of dollars, personally. I don't know how many people out there actually buy lots that large.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 05:10:08 PM »
I like to buy big lots but only of G1 ponies. I would try to sell them single first.  Some of them will bring you more then $2 and some of them might only bring you that or less depending on there conditions. G3 ponies are hard to sell right now, not sure why though. :(

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 05:11:37 PM »
I would say put them up on Craigslist and see if you get any bites.  I do feel like you're unlikely to get any offers at $600 for all of them.  I think most parents don't really want to buy their kids 400-ish toys at once.  That's just kind of an overwhelming amount.

But then again Craigslist is free so you don't lose anything by trying.  And if they don't sell that way then you can try selling them in smaller lots.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 05:13:29 PM »
I'd suggest selling them in smaller lots. Your more likely to get people interested that way.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lockette

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • twice as fancy as you
    • View Profile
    • toylockette.tumblr
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 07:14:23 PM »
maybe poke through and see which ones are pretty popular? holiday ponies, Minty, stuff like that. and sell those individually. then sort the rest into lots of 10 or so. very few people will buy an enormous lot, but like you said, that's a TON of work to photograph/list/sell/mail almost 400 ponies. so breaking it into smaller lots might be a compromise. you probably won't break even but at least they'll go to someone who enjoys them and you'll get some of that investment back!
:rainbow: toylockette on tumblr & instagram!
& check out g1mlp & g3mlp on tumblr!

☆☆ wish list! ☆☆ ISO baby sparkle Firefly w/ dark gold tail factory error!

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 07:09:16 AM »
Maybe after Christmas when you have more time, you could post pictures of them here, possibly in the sale forum, and let people make offers on individuals, or at least identify the ones worth selling individually.
If I saw that ad on craigslist, i would be interested, but i would probably not buy them because of all the doubles i would end up with. If i saw an ad for 20 ponies for $50, it might be easier to sell, I would be more interested.

But craigslist is free, and you never know!

Are you near anywhere that has pony meets? Or in summer you can put out the box at a garage sale, $2 each.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 10:51:37 AM »
I can't do a garage sale because I live in the middle of nowhere.  It's 20 minutes to town and my neighbors keep cows in their backyard.  But maybe after Christmas I will have time to go through them and try to sell them in smaller batches. 

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 11:21:04 AM »
I can't do a garage sale because I live in the middle of nowhere.  It's 20 minutes to town and my neighbors keep cows in their backyard.  But maybe after Christmas I will have time to go through them and try to sell them in smaller batches. 

Hey, me too! Fortunately i have friends in town thathave garage sales, so we go in together!

Whatever you do, good luck!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal