collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What do you do with your tail washers?

Keep them
5 (20%)
Discard
15 (60%)
Other
5 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Tail washers  (Read 2640 times)

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Tail washers
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 11:23:21 AM »
I do the same as many other people who have replied: rusty washers are thrown and replaced with cable ties. OK washers are kept on the tail where they should be. And if a pony's neck seam is still intact and she shows no sign of rust I do not open her up just to have a look.

As an interesting side note I have one pony who's neck seam was sealed when I received her but who rattled, so I opened her up thinking that her washer was rusty. But it wasn't. They had just thrown it into the pony instead of attaching it to her tail as they should have. So I have left it like that as a memory. Crazy Hasbro people.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
This sounds great Safflower!

I wish I'd done that.  I've kept the rusty tail washers but not kept a note of which belongs to which pony.  I've always been interested in this thing with the washers. I rarely take heads off unless the tail rust is obvious so I haven't had many non-rusty ones to put back.

The only times I've ever removed washers was with ponies with tail rust, and I would prefer to not keep anything rusty around, so I discard them as I'm cleaning the rust, since there's really nothing you can do to fix a washer after it's rusted.

Clean washers remain inside the pony.

I've heard that you can sand it down and coat it in a clear, matte acrylic varnish.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 11:40:04 AM »
I do the same as many other people who have replied: rusty washers are thrown and replaced with cable ties. OK washers are kept on the tail where they should be. And if a pony's neck seam is still intact and she shows no sign of rust I do not open her up just to have a look.

As an interesting side note I have one pony who's neck seam was sealed when I received her but who rattled, so I opened her up thinking that her washer was rusty. But it wasn't. They had just thrown it into the pony instead of attaching it to her tail as they should have. So I have left it like that as a memory. Crazy Hasbro people.

I've seen this where the pony's tail was forcefully pulled out through the tail hole. So many ponies were carried by their tails by children, and if the tail becomes uneven, it can pull through the washer. I've had many a tail-less pony with an intact neck seal.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »
I only toss em if they're rusty.

Same here! They will only get worse :(

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 02:45:37 PM »
I toss them if they are coated in rust, otherwise they stay, as long as they are rust free.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »
I played with my childhood Cotton Candy so much her tail would come out when I brushed it or pulled on it too hard. I was always able to put it back in though. If I remember correctly there is a metal clamp around her tail.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »

I've seen this where the pony's tail was forcefully pulled out through the tail hole. So many ponies were carried by their tails by children, and if the tail becomes uneven, it can pull through the washer. I've had many a tail-less pony with an intact neck seal.

Ahhhhh, ok! That would definitely explain it then  :)

Offline Princess Fizzy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
I keep mine, but I also don't remove them unless they are rusty or have fallen out. I de-rust them & put them in ziplock bags.

Your Forget-Me-Not's washer has probably just oxidized. Some metals like steel change colors depending on how hot they are heated.

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »
I keep mine, but I also don't remove them unless they are rusty or have fallen out. I de-rust them & put them in ziplock bags.

Your Forget-Me-Not's washer has probably just oxidized. Some metals like steel change colors depending on how hot they are heated.
Thanks! That's interesting.

Also, thanks for the replies and votes everyone! It is very interesting to see the results of the poll and hear what you all do! :biggrin:

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal