collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Brittle G1 Hair?  (Read 642 times)

Offline Matcha

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • pony deviantart!!
Brittle G1 Hair?
« on: December 09, 2017, 12:56:26 AM »
I've bought a few G1 ponies in the past from this a lady, and some of the ponies from her had brittle hair; like when you pull pony's hair it usually stretches a bit before it snaps, but the hair of those ponies would simply snap! They shed a little when I brushed them too, so I've tried my best not to touch their hair too much.

I've always presumed that they were just stored somewhere in high heat or whatever, and that's the reason they had brittle hair. But today, I unbraided the hair of my Raincurl, who I've had for a really, really long time, and when I got her her hair was alright, just frizzy. I tried combing through her hair and some of her hair would just snap!

Does anyone know the reason for this? I live in a hot, humid country (Singapore), the lady's ponies had been in Singapore too since they were bought, could it be my country's weather that is causing this? My ponies are on a shelf away from the sun, but I can't really do much about humidity. My windows are usually closed and my curtains are mostly half-drawn. I'm really worried for my G1s now, my Milky Way's hair is getting brittle too ): Really scared that all my ponies will be ruined!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Brittle G1 Hair?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 01:16:17 AM »
I'm not sure whether climate alone could affect the fibres that way, but I live in the UK where we definitely don't have hot and humid weather (right now in fact outside is just snow O.o.). I have a lot of ponies who spent a long time in a hot country (eg Brazil, Peruvian ponies) and they don't show that issue but the fibres for them may be different and it may matter where they are now being stored.

What I do know though is that some hair products can do this to the fibres, especially if not properly washed out. I have a Butterscotch who has to live on my unit rather than in the cupboard with her friends because her hair is like that. When I got her, her hair was really gelled together, as were some of the others in the lot. Most of them I managed to get to in time but Butterscotch was particularly bad and when her hair dried, she had this problem. Touch wood she is the only one in my herd currently affected by that issue, but it might just as easily be to do with the products used on the hair as the climate. In particular since they are ponies from one specific seller, it may be to do with something the ponies were exposed to in the past and that wasn't fully washed from the hair - or something she's used to clean them and it's lingered and done the damage to the fibres.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Matcha

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • pony deviantart!!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:25:06 AM »
I'm not sure whether climate alone could affect the fibres that way, but I live in the UK where we definitely don't have hot and humid weather (right now in fact outside is just snow O.o.). I have a lot of ponies who spent a long time in a hot country (eg Brazil, Peruvian ponies) and they don't show that issue but the fibres for them may be different and it may matter where they are now being stored.

What I do know though is that some hair products can do this to the fibres, especially if not properly washed out. I have a Butterscotch who has to live on my unit rather than in the cupboard with her friends because her hair is like that. When I got her, her hair was really gelled together, as were some of the others in the lot. Most of them I managed to get to in time but Butterscotch was particularly bad and when her hair dried, she had this problem. Touch wood she is the only one in my herd currently affected by that issue, but it might just as easily be to do with the products used on the hair as the climate. In particular since they are ponies from one specific seller, it may be to do with something the ponies were exposed to in the past and that wasn't fully washed from the hair - or something she's used to clean them and it's lingered and done the damage to the fibres.

Would the hair products be something like conditioner? I'm actually about to give all my ponies a spa day right now since some of their hair is getting dry (and I'm hoping to reduce the brittleness) and I'll be making sure to wash every bit of it out ):

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 04:23:21 AM »
Usually conditioner is safe and used pretty often alongside dish soap or regular soap for the body. I think it might have been some chemicals to keep the hair in place, some gel or spray/foam, something like that.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 03:40:51 PM »
I think it's more likely to be gel or spray as well, but I only ever use diluted shampoo or mild soap on ponies, not even conditioner, so I don't know :/ I've never heard of people having hair break because of conditioner, but sometimes if they aren't rinsed through they feel weird and greasy to the touch with that.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 07:12:44 AM »
I only use baby shampooo on mine, and I did have some gen 3 that had rotting hair, and some gen one that were badly damaged by hairspray.

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 07:49:45 AM »
Rotting hair ? Can you explain please ? That looks awful, I don't want this to happen to my G3s. :lol:
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »
Rotting hair ? Can you explain please ? That looks awful, I don't want this to happen to my G3s. :lol:

I don't know if this was the case with invader's G3s, but some G3 ponies have hair that's just known to become brittle and fall apart. Avon ponies in particular (Jazz Matazz, Wave Catcher, etc) are notorious for this, as are some other budget ponies. I have Jazz Matazz and Wave Catcher, and Jazz Matazz's pink hair dry rotted, resulting in all of it falling out when I brushed her, as with Wave Catcher's orange hair. Now they both have large bald spots.

Apparently Sunrise is also known to have this issue, though I don't have her myself. Looking at photos of her online, she does seem to have the same orange shade as Wave Catcher.

My Sunny Daze III (Donkey Pose) also had this issue with her orange. I have no idea if she's known for this though, she's not an Avon or a budget pony, and her orange is a different shade of orange from Wave Catcher's.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 08:51:14 AM »
Oh, well, that looks terrible. =( Hope it won't happen to my ponies. I don't have those ponies you mentioned yet, so I can't check them. So far so good for my other ponies.
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 11:55:10 AM »
I've known this to happen to G1, G2 and G3 ponies :(

Sometimes excessive and aggressive treatment with conditioners and straightening with heat can degrade the hair so it becomes brittle.

When I first started collecting in 2003, I picked up and Thunder Cloud and his hair just broke off at a touch :(

I've had a could of G3's do this including Sparkle Works :( the hair just snapped off at the base.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 12:15:46 PM »
Sometimes really tight braids can stretch the hair, and if left in for a long time (especially in the sun) can snap the fibres when it's undone. If I buy a pony with braids, I usually put conditioner in before undoing the braid and work it in as I undo them, and then gently finger-comb the hair with the conditioner in, then use an actual comb, always using excessive conditioner, and going slowly, step-by-step. Any breakage and I stop.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal