collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice on Shipping Customs?  (Read 584 times)

Offline vira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Advice on Shipping Customs?
« on: December 08, 2017, 08:40:20 PM »
Hello!

I'm almost finished with a custom for one of my friends, so in preparation, I'm here with a question; Is there a specific way I should pack said custom when I ship it?

The custom is a G4 Pegasus, painted in acrylics and rehaired. It's going from Ohio, USA to Nova Scotia, Canada.

Is there any specific material I should wrap the custom in to protect it, like cloth or tissue paper? There are no added or glued on parts, just the standard pony body. Do I need to acquire a particularly sturdy box, (or double box it), or will a standard flat rate box work fine?

Thank you for any help you can give!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Shipping Customs?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 09:19:31 PM »
Canada Post isn't known for being too gentle on parcels, so do package well.  I usually go with a regular ol' cardboard box and lots of packing tape on the outside. Since ponies aren't adverse to being squished, you don't need to go to the extreme for something breakable like a mug or vase.  Double-boxing a basic custom is overkill.

As for packing, whatever you put in contact directly with the pony should NOT have any kind of ink, dye or printing on it.  Kitchen paper towel, plain white tissue paper, facial tissue, etc. all make a fine wrapping.  Then you can pop the pony into a sandwich bag to protect against getting wet, and toss that into the box with whatever you have on hand to pad out the extra space. 

Make sure your pony is 100% dry before mailing.  Expect it to be subject to temperature extremes during transit.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 11:49:23 AM »
That's some great advice from Baby Sugarberry :bigups:

I will double box ponies with sculpted parts.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 12:23:02 AM »
Oh yeah, absolutely - if you've got sculpting on a custom, you have to treat it like a breakable;  double boxing, packing peanuts / padding snugly, tons of tape, the works.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline vira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »
Thanks so much for the advice! I'm hoping to ship it out today; I feel much more confident doing so after all your help!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal