collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MOC bluebelle/ cotton candy first run  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
MOC bluebelle/ cotton candy first run
« on: December 06, 2017, 02:33:31 PM »
Aparently a MOC bluebelle with cotton candy symbols was sold by a former hasbro employee in the Indiana pony meet. (not sure what year this happened) This means she was probably a very limited promotional first run. How exciting. I am hoping to see pictures if anyone here was the lucky buyer!

Also excited that there are more out there for us to find!!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 05:08:20 PM by Ember1 »
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: MOC bluebelle/ cotton candy first run
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »
Sounds more like a packaging test / prototype, to show off what the final retail item might be like - similar to the ones that turned up with white paint on the hooves.  Interesting though!  I hope there'll be pictures too.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 04:42:22 PM »
Ooo, that's exciting! Wasn't there a loose one on Ebay a few years ago? So there are at least two out there. Anyone know who owns them?
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 04:25:13 AM »
Ooo, that's exciting! Wasn't there a loose one on Ebay a few years ago? So there are at least two out there. Anyone know who owns them?

Yes ^.^

Here is a link to a thread on the first one found.

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,371767.0.html

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 05:38:26 AM »
I have the wonder woman and the star riders pegasus promotional prototypes in my prototype collection. They were sold by a former mattel employee who was the designer of the horses.  They were made by Mattel in 1991 and the line was never produced. However a very limited run of them (for the pegasi two of each since their metallic finish was expensive for the factory to make) were made and were taken to toy fairs and promotional meetings to promote and gain financial support for the line. Catalogue photos were also made with the prototypes and Mattels 1992 catalogue feature 6 pages promoting the line including photos of the pegasi. The line didnt get the support it needed sadly and they canceled it. The official review was that investors did not think girls wanted to play with dolls that fight. What a pity- There was even a tv series suppose to be made.

Anyways. Thats what i think the cotton candy symbol flat foots were. An initial run of Promotional prototype releases that were given to employees to take to toy fairs and promotional meetings to promote the launch of the line.   Note they also appear in catalogue photos and the MOC one was sold by a former employee.

If anyones curious here are the pegasi protos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/137323406@N04/25026195438/#
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:13:47 PM by Ember1 »
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »
I do indeed recall seeing pictures of MOC ponies in the retailers/store/promotional catalogs that I have seen over the years :)

Those Star Riders are lovely, the iridescent coating is so pretty :glitter:

Love pkw xxx

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 04:33:30 PM »
Aparently a MOC bluebelle with cotton candy symbols was sold by a former hasbro employee in the indiana pony fair this summer. This means she was probably a very limited promotional first run. How exciting. I am hoping to see pictures if anyone here was the lucky buyer!

Also excited that there are more out there for us to find!!

Where did this info come from? There was no Pony Fair in Indiana this year (the last Fair in Indiana was 2013). I’ve been on the Fair staff for the last few years, and I’m certain that no mint on card Bluebelle with Cotton Candy’s symbols has ever been brought to any of the Fairs by any of the former Hasbro employees that we’ve had as guests.

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 04:52:18 PM »
I was given the info by Clipper :) Just combed through the messages again. I assumed it was this year but he didn't say when.
My mistake.

He said it happened in Indiana at the Pony Fair and an attendee bought one from a former employee.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 05:11:50 PM by Ember1 »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 12:05:25 AM »
I don't know anything about the pony meets, but I do know that ponies getting symbols that were "things" (butterflies, stars, etc) was not the original plan.  There are some catalog pictures and even the Year 1 commercial that show prototypes who are in the proper "original six" colors--but they ALL have Cotton Candy's symbol.

I believe the front of the Year 1 backcard art also shows all the ponies with Cotton Candy's symbol.  (It is corrected on the Year 2 backcard.)

My guess is that Hasbro got the idea of unique symbols from Care Bears, which had been released the previous year to great success.  But it must have been a very last minute change.  This also explains why a lot of the Original Six names are more related to their color than their symbols.  (Blue Belle = stars . . . but she's blue.  Minty = clover . . . but she's green.)

I hope we find more of the prototypes, very exciting to know they are out there.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 03:47:37 PM »
You can see they all have spots for symbols in this early commercial :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J9J2vF3Q3o8

And this art work too :heart:

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Collectors.jpg

Annnnd you are correct LadyMoondancer on the front of this card

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Moc-cottoncandy.jpg

It's a pretty generic artwork and is used for some nirvana ponies, such as the Brekar Piggy ponies :)

If I recall correctly the first ponies where in "real" colours rather than pastel shades. I've definitely seen pictures from a meet or fair showing a piebald pony!

Love pkw xxx

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 05:14:57 PM »
Now that you mention it, I think I've seen pictures of a brown and white (?) piebald prototype pony too, and an all black one.  I saw a Youtube interview with Bonnie Zacherle (who had the idea for MLP) where she said they were originally intended as gender neutral preschool toys in real horse colors.

My guess is that Cotton Candy's symbol was originally supposed to resemble appaloosa spots, and Hasbro thought it looked close enough to bits of 'cotton candy' that it didn't get changed when the other 5 Collector ponies got their hearts, butterflies, and so forth.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »
Now that you mention it, I think I've seen pictures of a brown and white (?) piebald prototype pony too, and an all black one.  I saw a Youtube interview with Bonnie Zacherle (who had the idea for MLP) where she said they were originally intended as gender neutral preschool toys in real horse colors.

Yes! I saved the picture on my PC and there is a cream/brown skewbald pony and a black pony ^.^ There is information cards behind them, but it's too small for me to read.

Appaloosa spots are like Cotton Candy's symbols :glitter: Didn't Megan's pony TJ have spots?

Love pkw xxx

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 01:59:48 PM »

Yes! I saved the picture on my PC and there is a cream/brown skewbald pony and a black pony ^.^ There is information cards behind them, but it's too small for me to read.

Appaloosa spots are like Cotton Candy's symbols :glitter: Didn't Megan's pony TJ have spots?

Love pkw xxx

I was going to ask about TJ as well. You have to wonder, don't you? I mean, there's also the mystery Rainbow, as if designs were still floating around even at that point but not necessarily confirmed.

I genuinely wish that I had a UK confirmed card for a flat foot first six pony because I want to know whether they corrected the symbols or not...I never knew that happened as Flat Foot is one of the cards I still don't have in my card collection, but it's a cool detail. I know that the year 2 set with Bubbles etc in the UK has a UK reworking of the US artwork, so now I'm all curious.

I remember the thread about the loose one.

If a picture of a MOC one ever emerges, that would be cool to see. I'll wait till then before I comment on the other stuff.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal