collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Disney fans, Frozen fans, Coco- Question  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Disney fans, Frozen fans, Coco- Question
« on: December 04, 2017, 04:54:08 PM »
I saw the Pixar film Coco.  Loved it.  There is a 20 minute animated short that plays beforehand, Olaf's Holiday.  Although I'm not as Frozen crazy as some folk (I think Rapunzel was much better), this short was still cute and funny and I enjoyed it.

Well, I read an article today that people are mad about the short.  Angry with 1. The 20 min length and 2. Saying it's nothing but an extended trailer for 2018's Frozen sequel.  Disney is going to stop showing the short before Coco starting 12/8. 
I enjoyed it.  I knew going into it that it was 20 min.  Didn't bother me, but I understand some people may be angry waiting so long for their actual movie to start, but Pixar films always start with a short (granted none this long).

If you saw it, what are your thoughts.  Also discuss Coco if you'd like here.  I really enjoyed the twist, though I did guess what it was.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: Disney fans, Frozen fans, Coco- Question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 05:31:34 PM »
Disney and Pixar explained the they had no short to place before Coco because Pixar released two movies this year.  They went to Disney, and they said they had a Frozen special they were going to show on ABC.  They also said Olaf's Frozen Adventure was going to only be in theaters for a couple weeks from the start.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Gator

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 06:13:06 PM »
Yes, but I don't understand why they are saying so many people dislike it.

"Logged an abysmal 38% audience score" on rotten tomatoes.
 "Unpopular Frozen short"
 "Social media backlash"
 "Getting rid of the much griped about short"
 "Response to backlash from fans"

I thought it was funny.

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 06:56:44 PM »
I think it's because although people expected to see a Frozen short before the movie...they didn't expect the "short" to be 20 minutes long. I feel bad for the people who had no idea that there was a Frozen short before the movie. So with previews, people ended up waiting around 40 to 45+ minutes altogether before Coco itself started. It doesn't help that people are *still* generally sick of Frozen. It was a foolish idea for them to put the Frozen "short" in from the start. The short barely lasted a week in Mexico before it got removed from theatres.

I'll be honest...part of the reason why I haven't seen Coco yet is because I don't want to watch a 20 minute Frozen episode, so I am happy that they are removing it from theaters. I like watching movie previews and trailers, so I woulnd't want to leave for 20 minutes after that and then come back to watch the movie.

And I say all of this as a person that doesn't even hate Frozen (although I can't stand Olaf).
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 04:49:29 AM »
I also think it's the length of the short. I heard that by the time you watch the previews, Olaf's Frozen Adventure and Coco it takes about 3 hours. That's a long time to expect little kids to sit still, be quiet and watch a movie. Some adults are probably finding it hard to sit through the whole thing also without needing to get up to get more snacks or leave briefly for other reasons.   

Frozen Fever was only around 10 minutes long and most of that was a good song so it went by faster. I had wondered why on the soundtrack album there were several short songs in Olaf's Frozen Adventure vs the one long song in Frozen Fever. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 10:12:55 AM »
It's not an animated short if it's a 20-minute length episode of children's TV.  :(  As  Al-1701 said, basically Disney dumped the Christmas Special on people.

Pixar is known for its quirky and sweet anthropomorphic 5 minute shorts, we all go "awwwww" and we are happy to see those characters in a future movie.  NOT a twenty minute episode of kids' TV from a franchise that everyone in my family dislikes.

IF if if if!!! we were to try and get my wiggly and hyperactive DD into a theatre, she wouldn't make it 5 minutes if we told her she had to sit through Elsa and Anna in order to see the Real Movie (CoCo) ...  there is no way I could wrangle her for yeah, almost THREE hours and not have everyone angry with me for ruining their day...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »
This would irritate the badoofies out of me.  1 it is way too long especially if you are expecting to see and movie.  2. It has to do with Frozen which I can't stand.  It is my deepest wish that we all could just let Frozen go! Forever...poof and gone.  Why must they force Frozen products and films down the throats of those of us who just don't like Frozen.  Everywhere you go Frozen.  Now you can't even go see a movie that you don't have to sit through a long Frozen so called short.  I have no positive feelings to say lol.  Sorry.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 01:18:42 PM »
I really like Frozen, but I don't think I'd like to sit through 3 hours of cartoons especially not with a bunch of kids.  But I would watch the Frozen short on its own.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Gator

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 05:49:10 PM »
Brightberry, if you're in the US, it's airing on tv next Thursday! 

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 09:57:15 AM »
I think id watch the short..and the movie both separately.  Together back to back is a bit much.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »
Oh - I bought this on DVD yesterday for £5 at Tesco (UK supermarket) and watched it this morning with my kid!

Yes, it's only 20 minutes but she found it magical - and loved looking at the new outfits that the sisters wore.

I think I preferred Frozen Fever though as the song was catchier, imo!  :lol:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 07:32:01 PM »
I'm a big Frozen fan and enjoyed Olaf's Frozen Adventure when I watched on TV tonight. I think Frozen Fever was a little better even though it was shorter.  My favorites songs from the short are "Ring in the Season and "When We're Together."

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 10:32:40 AM »
I liked the “short”, and thought it was adorable.  However, I despise the fact that it plays before Coco.  Coco is an absolutely amazing movie on its own merit, and I get the feeling that Disney put Frozen in front of it because it’s catering to a different demographic than the usual Pixar movies do.  I really think they think that a lot of people won’t go see a primarily Hispanic-driven film, so if they plaster Frozen in front of it, then more people will go see Coco.  They really misjudged that one though.  More people are deliberately coming in late to avoid Frozen, LOL.  What irritates me about this whole thing is, not only is Frozen obnoxiously long for a “short”, there’s FAR more Frozen merchandise than there is for Coco.  Coco is far superior, and it’s getting barely anything in the way of merchandise; toys, shirts, etc.  I can never find anything but those three Funko Pops whenever I look for Coco merchandise.  I don’t hate the “short”.  In fact, I like it.  It’s a cute little thing to watch.  But I’d rather them put it on tv and have a regular, 9-minute short ahead of such an amazing movie as Coco. 

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 08:33:26 AM »
While I normally love Pixar shorts before the movies, I've grown tired of Frozen (which happens to be my niece's current obsession) and didn't see Coco until the short was removed from the showings. I can understand why others might enjoy the "short" but I'm not sure I would've enjoyed 20 more minutes of a movie I'm tired of.

Besides that, I really enjoyed Coco. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Pixar movie so much! The music, the characters, and the story were all so beautiful and moving. Most Pixar movies have been pretty good in my opinion  (although I didn't care for The Good Dinosaur) but Coco immediately became my favorite.

Offline Gator

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 05:06:09 PM »
Coco was the first movie to make me a little teary eyed in the theater since I saw Toy Story 3.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal