collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My name is Taffeta and I have a confession...  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
My name is Taffeta and I have a confession...
« on: December 04, 2017, 07:50:57 AM »
...Lately I have become more interested in the non-mane 6 generation 4 brushables.

I still don't like the show, and aside from the wonderful Fluttsi, I don't care for the mane six ponies in general, although I have one of each character, and actually now I think about it, I might have a few Raritys. But I have realised that I have a slowly growing collection of non mane-6 characters over the last few years and especially over the last few months. And I am starting to look for/buy those characters in stores. It began with the pearlies, and I think it's here to stay as that's the only set I've felt compelled to get ALL of the non mane 6 characters, as opposed to just the one or two I like best.

I'm a predominately G1 collector, so fortunately I don't feel compelled to buy every single version of every single pony in G4. Nor do I necessarily want every non mane 6 character. But I think I have to face the fact that this is sort of a collection in its own right now :/ And fortunately I don't like the new design of character (although I may make an exception for Spitfire, who I am a little obsessed with thanks to her colour scheme...)

I haven't counted them yet. I'm just glad they don't take up as much space. Also that the really expensive ones now I either already have by fluke picking them up or don't really want. I saw a Starswirl on ebay for $80 this week. What the heck happened there O.O. I know her distribution was crazy (Mine came from France, I never saw her in the UK), but $80?!

Anyone else found themselves collecting something that they didn't expect to collect in MLP (from any generation)?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: My name is Taffeta and I have a confession...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 08:02:45 AM »
Yeah, Star Swirl is super sought after. I'd like to have her someday, but we'll see...

Anyone else found themselves collecting something that they didn't expect to collect in MLP (from any generation)?

Not really? Or kinda? When I first got into MLP I was just collecting G4s since I got into it via FiM, but I went from "I want to collect G4s" to "I want to collect anything and everything MLP" pretty dang fast. When I thrift I just grab any pony thing I find unless I have it already, it's too damaged and there's nothing I can do about it (like when I found a Radz dispenser missing the hair piece), or if it's something that I really have no use for (ie children's size clothing, at least G4. I'd probably buy any past gen children's clothes if I were to come across some).

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 08:32:23 AM »
Darn it Taf. I was hoping your confession would be a little juicier then that! :silly:

Yeah, the G4s dragged me in kicking and screaming. But I have 15 now and plan on getting a few more.

As for the mane six, I've had 2 Rarity's who I ended up customizing, 2 Rainbowdash's, 1 of which will be customized and 3 Princess Twilight Sparkle's (who got given away) come through my hands. Namely because stupid Hasbroken feels some obnoxious need to package these characters with everything. I only really have RD, because I like pegasus, G3 RD, blue and rainbow ponies.

I weed out extras and have otherwise tried to keep my G4 section diverse. 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:37:22 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »
Darn it Taf. I was hoping your confession would be a little juicier then that! :silly:

On the main Corral forum? No thank you! I don't want to be on moderation >.> <.<

I feel the need to one day turn a Rarity into Moondancer, but I am waiting for a haircut Rarity to appear at a carboot sale. Otherwise I know I have one of each at least, but Rainbow Dash was for my graduation as I graduated uni the first time with G3 Rainbow Dash. Applejack and my original Rarity came from Finland as that was the first time I ever saw them and Pinkie Pie was kind of forced as she came in a 2 pack with Dewdrop Dazzle in Lille when I bought Starswirl and Rarity's carriage.

I guess this habit has older roots than I thought...I remember wanted Dewdrop back when she came out and I NEVER saw her here, so when I saw her in France, I had to take her home with me, even though it meant adopting a Pinkie...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:39:53 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »
Yeah, Star Swirl is super sought after. I'd like to have her someday, but we'll see...

Not really? Or kinda? When I first got into MLP I was just collecting G4s since I got into it via FiM, but I went from "I want to collect G4s" to "I want to collect anything and everything MLP" pretty dang fast. When I thrift I just grab any pony thing I find unless I have it already, it's too damaged and there's nothing I can do about it (like when I found a Radz dispenser missing the hair piece), or if it's something that I really have no use for (ie children's size clothing, at least G4. I'd probably buy any past gen children's clothes if I were to come across some).
That's pretty much how it started with me, as well.
Although I can say I was never planning on seeing any G2's. I don't particularly seek them out like I do with G1, but I did find some Europe-exclusive ones at my local consignment store by pure chance, so I scooped them up.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 02:42:45 PM »
It’s  happened to me too. I always said I was mainly a G1 collector with just a little G3 and even less G4 but lately the G4s have been multiplying. It started with the pink Celestia and small purple Luna pony. I would pick up G4s that I liked from time to time like wedding Lyra and Sunset Shimmer but the pearly ponies and movie sea ponies and new movie characters have made their home with me. 

I also like the Guardians of Harmony series.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lockette

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • twice as fancy as you
    • View Profile
    • toylockette.tumblr
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 04:55:20 PM »
I'm still not big on the G4 brushables, they're cute but I don't really care for the quality, especially of the hair, and I wish there were as many different brushable characters as there were in previous gens of the toy. that said, I want pretty much every single one of the pearly ones! I fell in love with Pretzel... I already had a basic Rarity and Dewdrop Dazzle, cause I like Rarity best and felt she needed a friend, but now I've got a small G4 collection haha
:rainbow: toylockette on tumblr & instagram!
& check out g1mlp & g3mlp on tumblr!

☆☆ wish list! ☆☆ ISO baby sparkle Firefly w/ dark gold tail factory error!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 07:57:28 AM »
I wanted Starswirl for a long time, but thought his/her price was too high even back then.   But $80??!  :shocked:

I collected the brushables until they no longer fit in the display box I bought for them.   I think they're rather cute, but I didn't want to be overwhelmed.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:45:23 AM »

The Build a Bear ponies of G4. I'd rather have them than the other G4 stuff.

I don't buy all the releases of the same character, I generally only buy either new characters or if it's something really unusual about a same release I'll buy it.

I like the G4 show but I don't particularly like all the episodes or how they develop some characters. Plus after so many seasons some episodes seem like a been there done that kinda feel. While the movie was okay I wasn't super excited about it after seeing it. I have no interest in really going out of my way to watch it again or own it. I liked the animation in it but the story just kind of fell a little flat to me, like we've done these things before. I was actually a little disappoined that the sea ponies are not actually sea ponies (LOL), and the time spent with the sea ponies seemed kind of short compared to how it was hyped that there are sea ponies, etc.

But back to the TV series, there are certain episodes that stand out, that could easily be watched and not have to watch the whole series/season. This season I liked the episode about Applejack's parents; it's probably the top as being my very favorite episode out of all of them.

I think I need to go through and pick out my favorite episodes and give you a watch list (haha).
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »
I haven't counted them yet. I'm just glad they don't take up as much space.

^ This, and yes I wasn't planning to collect any more Twice as Fancy ponies but Love Melody fell into my basket recently.  Her plastic has gone grey and her hair is white and she looks very pretty.

I'm getting a bit excited about these new G4.5 seapony figures.  I might start a thread asking people to post pics to see whether or not I really like them.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »

Yeah I did that with pretty much G3s and G4s I wanted to only collect G1s though it didnt work out that way. I went super pony craZY. I never thought I would collect the merch either. I have some G1 merch and some retro merch thats out there too its neat. :)  I also didnt think I would have custom ponies as a collection but I do also but not tons of them I have a small group from others. There are seriously too many directions to go in collecting.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal