collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To deflock or not to deflock  (Read 2760 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: To deflock or not to deflock
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 09:28:47 AM »
I've deflocked Cupcake, Magic Star, and Truly before.  But I wouldn't deflock a Wind Whistler or Shady because the normal versions already exist and aren't really expensive.

I wouldn't deflock a great condition SS (or an okay condition of the rarer 2nd set of So-Softs), but because I never liked the flocking (even as a kid) I am mostly pro-deflock. If you think about it, So-Softs have avoided so many of the scourges that commonly afflict MLPs (pen marks, highlighter lipstick, pindot mold) due to that protective layer of flocking and glue.  When you strip off the nasty flocking you reveal a stunning pony who is often near mint.  I see deflocking as almost a Magical Girl transformation.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »
I really like the flocking, personally, so I'm not inclined to get rid of it. And like I said, if I ever had no choice but to deflock I wouldn't leave the pony deflocked.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:49:05 PM by ZeldaTheSwordsman »
should be perma-moderated

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 03:38:35 PM »
If the flocking is in decent condition (no missing patches) keep it. Otherwise off it comes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 03:41:40 PM »
I'd leave it how it is in almost every case, I'd only consider de flocking if there was a huge area where it's already rubbed off. It can be cleaned gently, and if there was a stain I'd try to sun fade it out or live with it if the flocking is still nice. So there would probably have to be more de flocked area than flocked to make me de flock one  :)

I'm pretty conservative as well.  I only de-flock when they are pretty far gone.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »
i've accidently deflocked my best wishes on accident cause I flubbed and forgot don't use hot water and my faucet has HOT water lol but unless its so horrible i like to leave the flock as is
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Radha

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
  • It goes ding when there's stuff!
    • View Profile
    • Tactile Memories
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 09:17:14 PM »
I have a little group I'll deflocking now (as time permits) due to their symbols being painted on...
Apparently some little one got frustrated not seeing the symbols clearly, and so decided to literally paint them on over the flock!  I tried soaking and water/soap but the paint seems very well set.  The ponies are lovely, though!
I too feel the pull of preserving the flocked versions, but I do hate how the glue yellows :/. I'll deflock  if it ruins my enjoyment of the pony.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 07:21:23 AM »
I once bought a lot of ponies from someone who had tried to shave all her So-Softs a kid because she didn't like the flocking.  :P

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »
I'd reflock any that come to me deflocked or are in poor condition, I love flocking on toys.
Heck, I'm considering flocking random ponies that I think would look good with it, but I'm not gonna touch any G1s unless I have a double, even though the flocking should be mostly undo-able.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 09:08:43 AM »
I have a little group I'll deflocking now (as time permits) due to their symbols being painted on...
Apparently some little one got frustrated not seeing the symbols clearly, and so decided to literally paint them on over the flock!  I tried soaking and water/soap but the paint seems very well set.  The ponies are lovely, though!
I too feel the pull of preserving the flocked versions, but I do hate how the glue yellows :/. I'll deflock  if it ruins my enjoyment of the pony.

Oooh. Poor ponies. :(
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 10:53:29 AM »
Since I was a kid, preferred deflocks. I shaved my Magic Star. Didn't like the faded yellow ... the flocking came off the corners of her hooves and I saw the vibrant color underneath.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 07:57:39 PM »
Since I was a kid, preferred deflocks. I shaved my Magic Star. Didn't like the faded yellow ... the flocking came off the corners of her hooves and I saw the vibrant color underneath.

I just imagined one of your parents picking up the electric razor and trying to figure out where the strange yellow fuzz came from.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 09:46:58 PM »
What is the preferred way to deflock Surprise,Ribbons/ponies with that color of hair?  I loved them when I was a kid because they reminded me of fuzzy stickers. Ahhh 80s stickers.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 09:56:25 PM »
Surprise is another one I wouldn't bother deflocking since she already has a NSS version.  :P  But anyway, when I deflocked I usually used acetone.  You don't dip the pony in it, you put some on a cotton ball or whatever and gradually scrub away the flocking.  IIRC I used a bucket of hot water, too.  Acetone the pony for a bit, dunk it in the hot water to get rid of loose flocking.

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 12:13:34 AM »
Surprise is another one I wouldn't bother deflocking since she already has a NSS version.  :P  But anyway, when I deflocked I usually used acetone.  You don't dip the pony in it, you put some on a cotton ball or whatever and gradually scrub away the flocking.  IIRC I used a bucket of hot water, too.  Acetone the pony for a bit, dunk it in the hot water to get rid of loose flocking.

I am not someone who de-flocks but isn't acetone dangerous for eyes and symbols?
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 05:44:10 AM »
I have only done it two times. I did a Twilight cause she was so gross that even washing her did not help. Otherwise I will not touch then even if they are thin in places.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal