collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Faded symbol examples please!  (Read 1401 times)

MysticIceDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
Faded symbol examples please!
« on: November 23, 2017, 09:15:57 PM »
Hey again. I haven't been collecting for long but I've been looking for a playset/TAF Fifi, and noticed that some Fifi's bows are light pink, like hardly there, while others have bright pink bows. No matter where I look, I can't seem to find examples of faded symbols in general, to compare to what I find, you know?

I have a Bride whose eyes aren't printed with black, but a dark gray (which I love), but I'm wondering if they're faded, because others I see of her have darker eyes. I'm on vacation right now otherwise I'd show what I mean. So I figured I would ask if anyone has more input or examples of this. I've been holding back on getting a Fifi because I'm not sure what her symbols are supposed to look like.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Faded symbol examples please!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 12:40:49 AM »
While I can't help you with pictures, I can say that the 'black' used for pony eyes varies by year and by factory.  It can be anything from really dark, true black to dark grey to dark brown to blue-black.  There's no real standard and a different shade doesn't necessarily indicate fading.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 07:44:08 AM »
I actually have a Fifi with blue bows. Or I think I still got her atleast... A lot of my ponies are put in storage and some are to be sold, I am not sure where I put her since I sorted them quite long ago.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 09:24:33 AM »
It's not your imagination, TAF Fifi's bows can definitely fade! :)  They go from a strong medium pink, to lighter pink, and finally to a purpley-blue.

The same thing can happen to NSS Heart Throb (on the hearts of her symbols only), Peachy, Baby Crumpet, and Scoops.  Basically any pony with that particular pink color in their symbol paint.  :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 11:09:03 AM »
Paint is FULL of variety!!! 

Even if there were template standards for the manufacturing (like Pantone nowadays), the paint varies from batch to batch and the conditions in which an individual pony was played with, and stored are going to be factors in how different one pony can look from each other. 

Pink/red/purple tends to fade out to blue simply because of the chemical nature of those colors.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 11:28:51 AM »
And something's appearance as it fades is also affected by the color of the plastic below
should be perma-moderated

MysticIceDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 02:11:02 PM »
There's no real standard and a different shade doesn't necessarily indicate fading.

Oh that's good. I had figured, but was unsure. I like the variety.

Pink/red/purple tends to fade out to blue simply because of the chemical nature of those colors.

Oh good. So I just need to find a Fifi that is otherwise looking alright! I've realized that goes for light pink manes/tails, because several of my G3's that have light pink hair were actually supposed to have a more noticeable pink before.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 02:46:12 PM »
Personally, I absolutely love the variation in paint colour. Maybe I don't want a loud pink Fifi...maybe I like her better with more subtle colouration :D I like some of the funky Peachy's I've seen kicking around on the internet. I like faded pink hair on some ponies. However, if you're looking for what the "actual" colour is supposed to be, I'd independently research what ponies look like mint in box or mint on card (not the ones with yellowed plastic domes) Those will show you what they were meant to look like. Honestly, you can't even go by the old ads from the 80's on TV or in print, because those were often completely different in style and colour than the items that were sold (I'm looking at YOU non-beddy-bye-eyed Baby Sundance)

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »
My TAF Fifi's bows are faded to light grey. She was one of the first ponies I got in the post when I started collecting and I just assumed they were meant to be grey, lol! It wasn't for a while that I realised everyone else's Fifis had pink bows  :lol:
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 06:06:33 PM »
There's no real standard and a different shade doesn't necessarily indicate fading.

Oh that's good. I had figured, but was unsure. I like the variety.

Oh good. So I just need to find a Fifi that is otherwise looking alright! I've realized that goes for light pink manes/tails, because several of my G3's that have light pink hair were actually supposed to have a more noticeable pink before.
Yep, that pink hair you're talking about is called fading pink. Lots of G3s and G1s have it, sadly. It can fade to complete white very fast.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 06:26:27 PM »
I think with G4 they finally managed to create a fade-resistant rendering of it. Fluttershy from the Shine Bright toy onward has hair that looks like Posey's Pink/Fading Pink, but mine hasn't faded yet.

There is a way to restore the pink, known (unsurprisingly) as re-pinking: Mix some kind of red Kool-Aid (or similar powdered beverage mix) with conditioner and condition the affected pony with it. Let the conditioner sit a while before rinsing it out. The dye will be absorbed by the nylon hair, bringing it back to more or less its proper pink.

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
I think with G4 they finally managed to create a fade-resistant rendering of it. Fluttershy from the Shine Bright toy onward has hair that looks like Posey's Pink/Fading Pink, but mine hasn't faded yet.

There is a way to restore the pink, known (unsurprisingly) as re-pinking: Mix some kind of red Kool-Aid (or similar powdered beverage mix) with conditioner and condition the affected pony with it. Let the conditioner sit a while before rinsing it out. The dye will be absorbed by the nylon hair, bringing it back to more or less its proper pink.
Yeah, G4 hair doesn't fade. Snuzzle and Sundance's hair doesnt fade though, so there is a shade of pink in G1 that doesn't fade. For re-pinking, I don't think Kool-Aid would be the best! The dye in it is food dye, not regular dye. It might not last wouldn't last and it certainly isn't meant for dyeing, so the other things in it could mess up the hair. Plus it could possibly stain the vinyl. Though, no one has ever tried it before (unless you have) so who knows, it might be perfectly fine. There are powdered (and liquid) dyes like Rit that have been proven to work though and are pretty safe on nylon, and are specifically meant for dyeing.

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 07:15:27 PM »
I've used it on both Rosedust and Honeysuckle in the past, although it's since re-faded because of sun exposure to the shelf they're displayed on. And I didn't invent the method, I was taught it by someone either here or on the My Little Pony Trading Post boards.
There is some risk of staining the vinyl, but it can be minimized through care. Care and preventative measures like masking around the roots.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 07:27:03 PM by ZeldaTheSwordsman »

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 07:27:49 PM »
Interesting. I've never heard anyone use KoolAid for re pinking, should have worded that differently, lol :)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 08:34:45 PM »
RIT dye is the generally accepted best product for re-pinking.
Food dyes fade too quickly.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal