collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: IF Internet Neutrality Fails: Getting Rid of the Arena  (Read 5987 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: IF Internet Neutrality Fails: Getting Rid of the Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 05:46:19 AM »
People aren't burying congress because they aren't feeling the pain right now.  If they repeal Net Neutrality, and the ISP's do this, then the anger will come out.  And Congress is not safe from physical mail and phone calls.  Also, next year being an already volatile election year, it would become a massive campaign issue that primary and general election opposition will use against the old/ignorant people currently in congress.

I know ISP's are going to try anything and everything to make a dishonest buck.  However, in the United States, the more likely strategy is hurting each other.  Again, Youtube will become almost unusable unless you're using Google Chrome or an Android device.  Comcast will make it difficult to view ESPN's website so you have to use NBC's sports site.  Netflix will become almost impossible because many service providers have interest in Hulu.  It's still nothing good.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »
Are they seriously trying ot do this again?

Im not amused.  You cant own the internet, and its not just the US that uses it.

If by some miracle this passes, I don't see it lasting long.  I see much exploding and burning.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 09:43:06 AM »
This is terrifying, but it has been a sitting duck for ages.  Someone gave it away for free for the good of mankind.  Like water and air.  Corporations are trying to own clean water and air too.  When it comes to natural resources, I think they will push ethical boundaries to see whether or not people will accept subjugation.  In my view, once some humans have control of natural resources like this the rest of us will essentially be their slaves. Thank you for the links.  I'm in the UK.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »
i've signed and shared links wherei could
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 12:14:25 AM »
To Al-1701
I wanted to write that...you are right. The big co's will fight each other and pick at each other if this bad plan goes through. They've actually already fought before, and this list demos what happened when they did. (It's simplified, but each incident can be looked up easily by it's date to get details) I didn't write it up, but it's a useful enough illustration for your point:

2005 - Madison River Communications (an ISP) was blocking VOIP services. The FCC put a stop to it.

2005 - Comcast was denying access to p2p services without notifying customers. (That's like napster/Utorrent, etc)

2007-2009 - AT&T was having Skype and other VOIPs blocked on pc because they didn't like there was competition for their cellphones.

2011 - MetroPCS tried to block all streaming except youtube. (edit: they actually sued the FCC over this)

2011-2013, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon were blocking access to Google Wallet because it competed with their bullS$%^. edit: this one happened literally months after the trio were busted collaborating with Google to block apps from the android marketplace

2012, Verizon was demanding google block tethering apps on android because it let owners avoid their $20 tethering fee. This was despite guaranteeing they wouldn't do that as part of a winning bid on an airwaves auction. (edit: they were fined $1.25million over this)

2012, AT&T - tried to block access to FaceTime unless customers paid more money.

2013, Verizon literally stated that the only thing stopping them from favoring some content providers over other providers were the net neutrality rules in place.

So even with the rules, they're up to some dodgy stuff.
It's gonna go to FREAK OUT levels if Pai gets his way. It'll start with "Well, every page not in your plan takes 5 minutes to load because we're such nice guys we wouldn't block you don't worry", and then it'll go to "well, nobody but facebook, youtube, Target, Walmart, amazon, and instagram* can pay us so everything else is blocked because now you don't have a voice any more nobody can tell us we're wrong". That includes libraries who have no money already, and Wikipedia that's a nonprofit to begin with. They can cope with the "5 min page load & literal 56k modem dial up speeds" for a while but...what then?

*Can instagram actually pay?
I have no idea if it's profitable or not. Twitter isn't, despite it being in the news 24/7.
And what's Google going to do? They got billions thanks to their ads on searches, but if the internet's whittled down to like 12 websites there's no point in searching for anything? It's confusing.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 05:39:55 PM »
Not for nothing but what good would signng petitions do anyway? If certain people really wanted this implemented, why would they bother listening to a bunch of signatures? I'm not just not convinced this'd have a snowballs chance of passing. I mean, when has anything that was a major threat to the internet ever passed?

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »
This is always a scary issue.  I  have a feeling that if it goes through, changes would happen very slowly at first because they know that a public outcry would ruin it for them.  They’ll pass it, then congress will point out that nothing happened and it was all unnecessary panic during the election.  As time goes on, we’ll start to see very minor changes lead into bigger changes over a few years.  By then, most of the public will see it as something they can’t do anything about. 

It makes me upset as innovation will suffer, small websites like this one will suffer, small businesses will suffer and just being able to put up your own website for the fun of it for a few dollars a month will disappear.

There isn’t enough competition among the mega businesses to encourage real debate.  It’s about money but censorship will be the result.  Most people will end up having the same opinions because it’s the mass media’s opinion.  And that, is truly horrifying.

The fact that it’s a ‘partison’ issue just makes it worse.  It’s not a partison issue.  Neither conservatives or liberals want this. We shouldn’t be divided on it.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 10:25:54 AM »
The internet is supposed to be free. It’s an interconnecting Network! You shouldn’t be able to own that. If they go through with this, I fully support riots in the streets over this. Nobody should have their internet chosen for them. You should be allowed to go where you please on it. If you ask me, trumps looking out for all his big business friends as usual, not caring about the public.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 10:17:41 AM »
And what's Google going to do? They got billions thanks to their ads on searches, but if the internet's whittled down to like 12 websites there's no point in searching for anything? It's confusing.
Can they save the day?
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 12:03:10 PM »
To StarSwirl05
You are right about the petition during this administration. The whole Petition thing (gets over 500k sigs, white house or somebody official MUST respond) is unlikely to do anything. This administration loves ignoring things, petitions of all sorts included. Sure you can sign, but you're right it's unlikely to do much good. However...

The thing that CAN do the good is sending an actual email (in your own words--yes it's seen by BOTS but all they do is check for duplicate phrases/content and if they don't see dupes they do count it) to these people

Michael O’Reilly – Mike.O’[email protected]
 Brendan Carr – [email protected] 

And making the phone calls to senators with the button on the www.battleforthenet.com page.
It's the calls to the reps that are important mostly because they can't be fakes & anyone who is getting like....500 calls a day is going to start worrying about their prospect for re-election if they just ignore a volume like that.

It's similar to the Slime = Glue fad that's still on a bit.
You NEVER saw "Half Gallon Elmer's" glues before the fad. Now, OfficeMax/Depot and even Home Depot will have a little side-table set up saying "Make Fun Slime!" with all sorts of glue and materials. The stores started acquiring half gallon glues & making wacky slime tables because everyone was calling clamoring for slime for the kids since it was a fad. Calling works on stores cause they want money & it works on politicians who are up for re-election because they don't want to lose the job.

Brightberry:
You are also right. Probably. They WANT to be as insidious as possible over this. (Though I think Comcast was already publicly planning something evil) Whittle away the number of websites you can see slowly so everyone just gives up and says "Well Facebook is the internet now...so glad I can pay an extra 40 a month to see it, as well as my own email."

The scariest thing:
People aren't acting because they feel THEY won't make a difference
People aren't acting because they don't know how big the danger is
They're not acting because "nothing bad has happened yet"

That's why Artemesia Floc has a point also, that if Google combined forces with everyone else who already acted & who is acting today we could have something. Because you can't expect someone like Amazon to step up/step in since every other web based store shutting down would be their dream come true. But Google can't do it by themselves, because 'the voice of the people' has to be in there too...however since there's just so many mountains of people who don't know, people who don't care (old folks), and people who don't think they matter (they do!) every single person who

1 knows about it
2. Can spend like 10 minutes doing free things

has to do it at maximum level to make up for the other folks. If everyone just got 2 relatives to call the button and say a phrase, we'd be on more confident ground.
I don't want to say goodbye to this place.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 12:34:11 PM »
I've already seen news media pumping out garbage about this. 

Mostly it's announcements regarding, "'anyone who is using bots, petitions, or any kind of scripted assistance or copy/paste', your opinion has been disqualified.  We don't seem to see very many people actually concerned about this issue - there seem to just be dozens of troublesome bots distributing info, which means nothing."

So they are hearing our protests, defining them as Fake Protests, AND telling us that they are seeing our protests as Fake and letting us know they plan to ignore them.  All my whats, I cannot even fathom how to argue with such idiocy.

Ah!  The Almighty Dollar!  Greed!  The only way things get accomplished...  *shakes my  head*
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 10:52:51 AM »
I have donated to the fight, called representatives, and spread the word.
I've heard that Pai wants to "test this proposition in an open and public process", but everyone including me takes that with a boulder of salt.
I do hope at the very least, if it passes, that the backlash will be too intense for them to take. I certainly hope they don't take the 'just wait it out' approach and expect us to eventually get used to it.   :pout:
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 11:05:23 AM »
I do hope at the very least, if it passes, that the backlash will be too intense for them to take. I certainly hope they don't take the 'just wait it out' approach and expect us to eventually get used to it.   :pout:
That's probably very likely to happen if it passes given how many people use the internet. I'm not expecting it to stay in effect very long if that's true either.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 05:27:07 PM »
I tell you what! I don't know if this world can get any worst! The prices of things are getting higher every week! We are not getting a pay raise at work anymore! People are getting more mentally unstably and there is so much more killing. Its so sad and now the government wants to control us even more! :(

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 09:20:14 PM »
Right. If this thing actually gets passed, grab your pitchforks ladies and gentlemen! We are fighting a war with warponies!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal