collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What G4 toys do you think will be HTF in the future?  (Read 3086 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: What G4 toys do you think will be HTF in the future?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 07:00:25 AM »
I would say ponies with distribution issues. Holly Dash. Starswirl. Ponies that didn't get everywhere or maybe weren't even meant to and ones that were on shelves briefly, like Honeybuzz and Feather May and ponies like that. Maybe the third set of pearlies. But it depends whether G4 goes on to be a collectable in the same way as G1 is. It's a different kind of line right now - I guess we'll find out as time goes on.

I also think that actually some versions of the mane 6 might prove more hard to find than their non mane six set mates. Reason being that people already have a version of x pony and so don't buy the new version necessarily? So in some cases mane 6 will be dominant and common and yet there will probably be specific versions of those mane 6 which prove to be more difficult to find in the end.

For example with Monster High there are a lot of Cleo dolls, but I <3 Fashion Cleo is sought after, in demand and expensive where many of the others are not. I think that could happen for some of the Mane 6 ponies as well. And I think Rainbow Rocks Rarity may be one of those because she's both mane 6 and had distribution issues (she was in the set with Holly Dash).

I also remember there's an Easter Fluttershy that I saw in stores ages ago but she isn't mentioned much. Right now I think she's just another Fluttershy but it's that kind of Mane 6 pony that might be more sought after for serious collectors later.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 07:39:32 AM »
I would say ponies with distribution issues. Holly Dash. Starswirl. Ponies that didn't get everywhere or maybe weren't even meant to and ones that were on shelves briefly, like Honeybuzz and Feather May and ponies like that. Maybe the third set of pearlies. But it depends whether G4 goes on to be a collectable in the same way as G1 is. It's a different kind of line right now - I guess we'll find out as time goes on.

I also think that actually some versions of the mane 6 might prove more hard to find than their non mane six set mates. Reason being that people already have a version of x pony and so don't buy the new version necessarily? So in some cases mane 6 will be dominant and common and yet there will probably be specific versions of those mane 6 which prove to be more difficult to find in the end.

For example with Monster High there are a lot of Cleo dolls, but I <3 Fashion Cleo is sought after, in demand and expensive where many of the others are not. I think that could happen for some of the Mane 6 ponies as well. And I think Rainbow Rocks Rarity may be one of those because she's both mane 6 and had distribution issues (she was in the set with Holly Dash).

I also remember there's an Easter Fluttershy that I saw in stores ages ago but she isn't mentioned much. Right now I think she's just another Fluttershy but it's that kind of Mane 6 pony that might be more sought after for serious collectors later.

I agree with this but I'll add another wrinkle.  Certain releases of the mane 6 might be hard to find but they might not be "expensive" in the same way as hard to find g1.  Seems to me most people are happy with 1 or two versions of each character.  Which means there might be less competition over the harder to find releases of characters that have been released more than 1 or 2 times.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 10:18:57 AM »
I also think Wave 3 of pearly ponies, the last G4s before the reboot styles came out, will be hard to find. They only showed up in a few stores like Big Lots and Family Dollar.

Ponyfan

Agreed. Of all the sets to distribute poorly...
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 11:06:31 AM »
I was watching a YouTube video where someone opened a Rainbow Dash I'd never seen before, she was a pull and go toy who "flew" via wheels on her stomach. From a few years ago I think. I wonder if mane 6 toys like that, which were less widespread or popular, will be rarer.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 06:24:28 PM »
A good topic!
Plot future buys and who to hang onto, based on the good opinions and ideas already being posted here. I see lots of good possibilities so far, but would like to add more.
I limit this list to stuff that's not like "oh it was eu only" or something, because that's unfair out of the gate & others already mentioned it. (So, like no FS Daisy Jo, etc)

Rainbow Power alicorn Twi & Cadence-
These have the rainbow confetti all over them and soft, big, piercework wings that are 100% easy to ruin. You'll never see these again in good condition unless they're in the MIB.

All About Soarin' - This one just came out and already nobody can find him.
He looks like a messed up Shining Armor but a peg instead of a uni.

ALL water cuties- I agree with the alicorns, but I imagine all them will be uncommon especially Amethyst Star. Water toys don't seem to last well in rough n tumble toybox conditions.

The Soarin from the Wonderbolts 6 pack - It was the final one they released with the oldstyle heads, plus, it's Soarin who is barely in the show. The set was also costly when new, so probably not everybody got it anyway also because it shoveled out ANOTHER pinkie and fluttershy for no reason.

The light up toys. Cadence didn't release right, I don't think. Even that light up glamour rarity because her hair has such a bad quality that if she gets played with at all, the toy will ruin...and you can't get the head off without destroying her cause the horn light is on a cord thru her neck to body. Plus they are more costly when new so it prevents parents from buying them limiting their sales. That, and it's a re-re-re-re-re-release anyway, there was no new light up char.

Honey Rays with the charmwings. Lose all charms, lose wings.
Painting Time joints AJ action figure. Release was poorly. The joints brushables didn't seem too well received?
Probably anything glimmer wing because it looks like those will break.
Through the Mirror Sunset Shimmer & Twi - The flame leg Sunset is also rare already. Plaid stuff Twi probably will end up HTF too, it was walmart exclusive and there were already a ton of Sunsets at the time so nobody felt like caring about another. (But they do now)

It remains to be seen, as mentioned, how the toys will age. Will 'headbody different' attack certain Twilights making them undisplayable and bad? That kind of thing can generate rarity like how it's really hard to find a GOOD Starshine or Trickle. As a yard sale comber...broken stuff seems to be my domain so I'm faster to point it out or look at it in the store and go "well that is not going to last a week". Like the Nightmare Night #@%^* where she has the bags on her feet...well that bag on her head it's just balanced there! If you take her out of the package that bit will be gone for good in under 10 minutes with a child in the house. *To a degree with the actual show accurate Luna! Her crown comes off.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 07:49:43 PM »
Who's Amethyst Star?

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 07:55:22 PM »
Who's Amethyst Star?

Amethyst Star is a FiM background pony who does have some blindbags, but she does not have a normal brushable toy. I assume Wings meant Diamond Mint?

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 08:07:02 PM »
Who's Amethyst Star?

Amethyst Star is a FiM background pony who does have some blindbags, but she does not have a normal brushable toy. I assume Wings meant Diamond Mint?

Oh, Diamond Mint was all over the place here. Even Flower Wishes still shelf warms at TrU. Its the Princesses and the second wave Water Cuties that were never found. Certainly not paying scalper prices for them.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 08:59:16 PM »
Oh, Diamond Mint was all over the place here. Even Flower Wishes still shelf warms at TrU. Its the Princesses and the second wave Water Cuties that were never found. Certainly not paying scalper prices for them.

The Water Cuties were out in most main stores before I started collecting again, so I don't have Diamond Mint yet. But I still see Water Cuties Flower Wishes hanging around at Rite-Aid. I wanna get her at some point, but Rite-Aid doubles pony prices to $10. :/

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline babypowder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • Thanks to Ponyland Press for my adoptable
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 04:54:20 AM »
Perhaps most 'collection' only ponies like Minty, Roseluck, Helia, Lily Valley and of course Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. Also maybe the forelock ponies? Single releases like Flitterheart and Feathermay too.
Cutie Marks for Cutie Marks!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 06:04:14 AM »
All About Soarin' - This one just came out and already nobody can find him.
He looks like a messed up Shining Armor but a peg instead of a uni.
My workplace isn't a toy store (it's a grocery store) and we've still got one sitting around. We got all of wave 2 right after we got wave 1 because we had a display for the release of the movie. I've already got one for display, but now you're making me think I should scoop him up and rehome him or keep him MoC.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 06:36:48 AM »
The wave with Soarin may just be taking a little while to show up every where.  Some waves do that. We wait and wait and start disparring and then low and behold they show up en made.  But it's hard to tell if that's what is going on or if the wave is really just going to be hard to find.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 07:03:16 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about Soarin just yet. He's only just been released, give him a chance to show up ;)

Starswirl's always been hard to find so I doubt that'll change.. probably the other early only-released-in-certain-places releases would be the same.. I agree w/ Taffeta that likely certain releases of the main 6 will be hard to find, too. Holly Dash strikes me as one of those that'll be easy to find in some places and hard to find in others, if that makes sense.

Plus, I wonder how hard it'll be in the future to find the main 6 without chopped-up hair, given how many of them have had their hair altered to be more ~*show accurate*~. I doubt it'll be that hard to find ones without cut hair, but it is something I wonder about, lol.

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 07:37:52 AM »
Old stock idling on the pegs and shelves can hold up orders and/or shelving of new stock
should be perma-moderated

Offline Cadence

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 01:23:01 AM »
I think we should add non mane 6 ponies that, for the most part, only came in sets or were more expensive than the normal $5 ponies. (Maud Pie, Photo Finish, Songbird Serenade, etc.)
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal