collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you paint a so soft?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Saphy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
How do you paint a so soft?
« on: November 18, 2017, 12:40:11 PM »
I Want to turn a baity so soft buttons into my oc blissy but I'm not sure what is safe to paint or draw on her with.
Also the best way to clean one.

I don't want to deflock her.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How do you paint a so soft?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 12:47:17 PM »
You can't paint so-softs, other than their eyes.  You'll end up with a hard spiky ugly mess.  Dyeing one might be possible, though I've never tried.  As for cleaning them, water and hand/dish soap, gentle agitation. Some hold onto their flocking tenaciously, others are fragile, so test in an inconspicuous spot first.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 12:58:31 PM »
How about fabric marker?

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 01:08:38 PM »
There is no way you can paint a so soft. You could try dying her with something like Rit dye which might dye the flocking and will definitely dye the vinyl. If you don't plan on touching her, you could use soft pastel and lightly brush the dust over her body. It would probably come off every time you pick her up though and she might shed, so I don't really recommend it unless it's a last resort. I know you said you don't want to deflocked but you could deflock and the reflock with the right color.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline vampyrefay

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Is it halloween yet?
    • View Profile
    • Canadian My Little Pony Collectors
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 02:41:17 PM »
you should deflock her do your custom paint job then reflock her, flocking powder is relatively cheap
My icon is my ponysona Persephone pomegranate

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »
Deflocking would be the only way, otherwise you'd ruin her. Why do you want to paint an SS if you don't want to deflock it? Why not just paint a normal baity pony?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:49:38 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 04:46:48 PM »
She really perfectly matches my oc...only my oc has markings and she doesn't
Plus I want blissy to be fluffy

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 05:48:31 PM »
Your best bet would be to get a normal bait pony, paint and flock her. Crowning Glory flocked a messed up Peachy and she came out lovely.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 06:02:51 PM »
I'm sure your right but this buttons has already become blissy to me so im gonna do it somehow

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »
You aren't going to like the end result, or it isn't going to last.

Markers are not a good choice for making customs; they're unstable, they fade, bleed and don't stay where you put them.  Marker leeches into vinyl, staining it, and poses a danger to any other pony / surface it comes into contact with down the line.  It may look fine at first, but months or years later it'll start looking worse and worse.

There's a good reason you don't see customizers use so-soft bases without deflocking first.   There's just no way to get markings under flocking without taking it off. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 08:12:11 PM »
Looks like you've gotten some good advice about possible issues, but if you are very set on it, experimenting is an important part of skill building in customization, so long as it's an ethical bait. If you do and up with issues, you will still learn something if you take some time to look at whatever you end up with. Dying might be your best bet, if you want to try. Very thin paint might be less troublesome and perhaps a fabric marker could do something. All of it could be messy and ruin the texture, but if she really is baity, I don't think it's wholy useless to try as it will result in experience regaurdless.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 08:45:23 PM »
Sadly I am very set on it she's so close to perfect all I gotta do is add blue stockings ( if you dont know pony markings I'm referring to blue up the legs...not clothing lol) a blue heart on one ear blue tip on the other a blue heart in the flank and cutiemark I'm not even gonna mess with her eyes blues close enough to purple
She's filthy and her horn tip is deflocked ear tips too and cutiemark worn off not sure how baity that counts as 

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 01:00:42 AM »
Sadly I am very set on it she's so close to perfect all I gotta do is add blue stockings ( if you dont know pony markings I'm referring to blue up the legs...not clothing lol) a blue heart on one ear blue tip on the other a blue heart in the flank and cutiemark I'm not even gonna mess with her eyes blues close enough to purple
She's filthy and her horn tip is deflocked ear tips too and cutiemark worn off not sure how baity that counts as 

She actually sounds like she is in quite good condition! But even if she is in poor condition, deflocks are sometimes worth more money than So softs that have poor flocking. It's a shame to customise a pony that someone would actually value in their collection, G1's will never be made again so we need to try and restore/preserve them wherever possible!

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 05:35:14 AM »
If all you want to do is add stockings, then why not make her some? Out of stretchy chenille fabric or something similar. Then you are doing nothing permanent to your pony that might not turn out the way you had hoped as it sounds as if she is already special to you.

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 06:17:06 AM »

She actually sounds like she is in quite good condition! But even if she is in poor condition, deflocks are sometimes worth more money than So softs that have poor flocking. It's a shame to customise a pony that someone would actually value in their collection, G1's will never be made again so we need to try and restore/preserve them wherever possible!

Aside from all the dirt I don't know how to clean she is. I guess the dirt and the fact i got her for a under 2 dollars locally made me think bait. Got a sunlight missing her tail cutiemark rubbed most of the way off and super dirty too was also thinking of turning her into another oc but now I'm questioning it a bit.
Thing is I understand that but I value her in my collection as blissy and so soft buttons isn't rare or anything like that. But maybe I can cut fabric and put it on in a removable way for the markings...cutiemark though I don't know how else to do.

Post Merge: November 19, 2017, 06:20:04 AM

If all you want to do is add stockings, then why not make her some? Out of stretchy chenille fabric or something similar. Then you are doing nothing permanent to your pony that might not turn out the way you had hoped as it sounds as if she is already special to you.
Cause the stockings are a horse marking not the clothing, and I still have to put a heart on one ear tip the other, a heart on the upper flank and the cutiemark on both side after that otherwise good idea
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 06:20:04 AM by Saphy »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal