collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice on restoring Gingerbread?  (Read 5413 times)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on restoring Gingerbread?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 12:44:40 PM »
Just because we don't know how to fix burn right now, doesn't mean someone won't figure it out in the future - every technique is the fruit of research, trial and error, or happy accident.   
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

MysticIceDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »
Just because we don't know how to fix burn right now, doesn't mean someone won't figure it out in the future - every technique is the fruit of research, trial and error, or happy accident.

That is very true, especially in this line of work lol

Post Merge: November 18, 2017, 01:48:10 PM

Oh, I also forgot to mention that her pink hair is completely fine? I thought pink pony hair fades pretty quickly in sunlight... It isn't a blinding pink but it's a very VERY nice shade. If she got toasted from the sun why is her pink stripe still pink?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:48:10 PM by MysticIceDragon »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »
Maybe the tanning is due to chemical reactions rather than the sun?  The sun could make it worse, yet not be the cause. :)

I had a Quackers who tanned over the years despite not being put in sunlight.  Very frustrating.   She was a creamy white, like Gingerbread . . . Don't know if there's any connection.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

MysticIceDragon

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2017, 08:16:05 AM »
Maybe the tanning is due to chemical reactions rather than the sun?  The sun could make it worse, yet not be the cause. :)

I had a Quackers who tanned over the years despite not being put in sunlight.  Very frustrating.   She was a creamy white, like Gingerbread . . . Don't know if there's any connection.

I imagine you weren't Cracker's first owner?
Does anyone know what smoke damage might do? Say this little girl's parents or someone smoked in the house and years later it started affecting the plastic? Because chemicals that came in contact with Gingie would have eaten at her eye iridescence.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »

Does anyone know what smoke damage might do? Say this little girl's parents or someone smoked in the house and years later it started affecting the plastic? Because chemicals that came in contact with Gingie would have eaten at her eye iridescence.

My daughter's Chief came to us reeking of cigarette smoke. He has this big, ugly brown patch on his body, that my boyfriend said was from nicotine staining. Otherwise he would have been minty white. It has faded some and we got rid of the smoke smell, thankfully before Christmas.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2017, 10:26:19 AM »

I got her secondhand, yep.  She didn't smell of smoke, but who knows what her history was.

I think with some of these white ponies, though, it's just something about the plastic.  Like once I won an eBay auction for a Starshine who IMO had most likely been opened from being MOC by a collector.  She came with her card + bubble (still attached, except the side that was eased up to let her out and her hair just had that "unbrushed" look, if you know what I'm talking about.  Not a speck of dirt or a mark anywhere on that pony . . . but, sadly, she had parts that were changing from cream to tan.  (Especially around her symbols.)

I mean, I can't guarantee she was a previous MOC, but I REALLY strongly feel that she was.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

MysticIceDragon

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »
Quote from: LadyMoondancer
I think with some of these white ponies, though, it's just something about the plastic.  Like once I won an eBay auction for a Starshine who IMO had most likely been opened from being MOC by a collector.  She came with her card + bubble (still attached, except the side that was eased up to let her out and her hair just had that "unbrushed" look, if you know what I'm talking about.  Not a speck of dirt or a mark anywhere on that pony . . . but, sadly, she had parts that were changing from cream to tan.  (Especially around her symbols.)

I mean, I can't guarantee she was a previous MOC, but I REALLY strongly feel that she was.

I'm sure you're right and the plastic just kinda degrades. Now that I've been searching, I only have seen a few white Gingerbreads.

Quote from: Leave a Whisper
My daughter's Chief came to us reeking of cigarette smoke. He has this big, ugly brown patch on his body, that my boyfriend said was from nicotine staining. Otherwise he would have been minty white. It has faded some and we got rid of the smoke smell, thankfully before Christmas.

See my pony didn't smell when I got her so I imagine she doesn't have the same issue. How did you get him to fade?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2017, 03:48:01 PM »
Quote from: LadyMoondancer

I'm sure you're right and the plastic just kinda degrades. Now that I've been searching, I only have seen a few white Gingerbreads.

Quote from: Leave a Whisper

See my pony didn't smell when I got her so I imagine she doesn't have the same issue. How did you get him to fade?

The funny thing is, we didn't get him to fade. It faded a little on its own. Unless my boyfriend did something and forgot to mention it? It was his gift to her.

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2017, 02:51:27 AM »
Gingerbread is one of those ponies who are really hard to find in good condition.

I think it's UV that causes them to go all toastie brown; cleaning will help with surface dirt but won't clear up the toasting. Yours has gorgeous eyes! Despite her fake tan I think she is really pretty :) The oiliness will come back I expect as more plasticizer leaches out but a quick whip over with a babywipe or just-damp cloth will clean it off. I have several Gingerbreads, only one I would say is perfect and she is starting to get age spots :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2017, 10:03:31 AM »
I'm thinking Gingerbread isn't worth getting after all. What a shame, I really love her.

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »
I'm thinking Gingerbread isn't worth getting after all. What a shame, I really love her.
I think if you really want a character they're worth getting despite toy flaws, but then I own Transformers G2 Slingshot.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2017, 10:35:41 AM »
I think if you really want a character they're worth getting despite toy flaws, but then I own Transformers G2 Slingshot.

What issues does G2 Slingshot have?

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »

What issues does G2 Slingshot have?
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Gold_Plastic_Syndrome
This.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2017, 10:41:40 AM »
That reeks! :( I've never heard of that before.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:43:38 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2017, 03:22:27 PM »

I had three Gingerbreads in my trade box recently and all of them had one flaw or another. I never saw Gingerbread in stores so I think I have never actually seen a true white one. I can't remember how bad my sister's one is. I have one I rescued but she's definitely not 'perfect'. I think that maybe she really just does want to be a gingerbread pony. And I guess we all have our dreams...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal