collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice on restoring Gingerbread?  (Read 5416 times)

MysticIceDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
Advice on restoring Gingerbread?
« on: November 16, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »
I really hope this is in the right place, since I've read the rules several times but I haven't really posted much here recently. Forgive me if I'm in the wrong place!

Anyways, I've been hunting for advice on restoring Gingerbread! I can't find a whole lot of advice on what to do about heavy discoloration. I received a Gingerbread today in the mail that is MUCH darker than the seller's picture looked. The description was limited, but did mention she needed cleaning, so I guess I can only be mad to a certain degree.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As you can see, the coating is still great on her eyes and her cutie mark is still in good shape. Her body is a little oily and is very firm. I've read I can't give her a sunbath because she will burn, but I haven't found the specific affects of the hydrogen peroxide bath on cutie marks or twinkle eyes, and I'm not sure if anyone has done it. I haven't popped her open yet either, but if she is this discolored I'm not sure how much cleaning her out will help. Does anyone have any advice to give me?

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on restoring Gingerbread?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 04:50:38 PM »
I know how you feel! I also got one in the mail today and she is SUPER HARD! I hope someone will answer your question cause I would love to know also!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 04:59:47 PM »
I don't have any advice on what you can do, but I do know that you shouldn't use acne cream.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 05:06:23 PM »
What does that do to them?

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »
Doing a general clean first might help you to assess what further treatments to use. Putting her in very hot or boiled water and scrubbing with dish soap and a soft toothbrush is what I do. Shampooing and conditioning the hair helps too. When the pony is softened from being in the hot water you can try to twist her head off, a lot of twinkle eyes seem to end up with hardened bodies and need warmth before the plastic will loosen up. She may have dirt or rust on the inside of the body that's showing through as dark staining. Once she's had a good all over clean you will be able to see what are permanent stains and what will lift off.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »

Initially it'll make them look all nice and clean, but then years down the line causes issues.

There's been a couple threads about it in the past:

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,377336.0.html
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,370556.0.html

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

MysticIceDragon

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 05:15:17 PM »
I know how you feel! I also got one in the mail today and she is SUPER HARD! I hope someone will answer your question cause I would love to know also!

I'm not even upset she's all firm and stuff, I just want to be able to get her back to being white

Post Merge: November 16, 2017, 05:17:57 PM

Once she's had a good all over clean you will be able to see what are permanent stains and what will lift off.

That's a very good point. I just didn't know if y'all might have pointers

Initially it'll make them look all nice and clean, but then years down the line causes issues.

There's been a couple threads about it in the past:

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,377336.0.html
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,370556.0.html

Oh thank goodness you chimed in, I was led to believe I should be using it!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:17:57 PM by MysticIceDragon »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »
As far as I've seen, peroxide baths seem to not have too much of an effect on the cutie mark or even the paint, but that may be unexplored territory. I would try an oxiclean bath first, as that seems to be less harsh than the peroxide.

Sig by Starscout <3

MysticIceDragon

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 07:37:58 PM »
As far as I've seen, peroxide baths seem to not have too much of an effect on the cutie mark or even the paint, but that may be unexplored territory. I would try an oxiclean bath first, as that seems to be less harsh than the peroxide.

What kind of Oxiclean do you guys use? I've heard "color-safe" but is that available in the powder? Or does everyone have a huge jug of Oxiclean detergent for their pony cleaning? Lol

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 07:44:51 PM »

What kind of Oxiclean do you guys use? I've heard "color-safe" but is that available in the powder? Or does everyone have a huge jug of Oxiclean detergent for their pony cleaning? Lol
From what I've done and heard, just the plain liquid kind should work.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline vira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 07:59:53 PM »
iirc peroxide and/or oxiclean will remove the iridescence on TE Ponies eye gems! hopefully somebody else can confirm or debunk this conclusively

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 09:24:34 PM »

DO NOT PUT A TWINKLE-EYE PONY IN OXYCLEAN OR PEROXIDE.

You will ruin their eyes.  Oxy also makes a number of hair colours bleed and/or bleach, it's really NOT safe for cleaning ponies that aren't going to be bait / custom projects.  Ditto for acne cream; it bleaches coloured ponies and yellows pale ones, and the effects can take months or years to show up and are irreversible. 

Unfortunately your Gingerbread already looks toasted - too much UV exposure would be my guess as to her current colouration, and there isn't a decent known solution to that yet.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 10:10:57 PM »
iirc peroxide and/or oxiclean will remove the iridescence on TE Ponies eye gems! hopefully somebody else can confirm or debunk this conclusively

It's true, but none of my TE's ever had the paint left on them, so using the peroxide didn't matter. 

Oxi Clean and hydrogen peroxide are the same thing, it's just that for a peroxide soak to work you have to leave the pony out in the sun, and that's what can cause fading.  Both are hard on their hair.  Gingerbread doesn't have the hair colors that bleed.  She's notorious for being difficult to fix her discoloration though.  I've been experimenting with applying a thin layer of paint over ponies like this and then rubbing it off the symbols.  So far so good.  All my ponies are in the attic in the moment so no photos.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

MysticIceDragon

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 10:24:24 PM »
Unfortunately your Gingerbread already looks toasted - too much UV exposure would be my guess as to her current colouration, and there isn't a decent known solution to that yet.

No nooo... Ugh, the listing REALLY didn't look this bad I swear. And if I open her up and scrub her out and everything, I can't exactly ask if I can send her back. She did come with a Party Time, who looks alright.

I adore Gingerbread's design and name and that she has twinkle eyes... Argh of course she has to be problematic. Now I don't know what to do.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 12:32:21 AM »
Oh no - what a dilemma! Gingerbread is really hard to find in good condition and her price often reflects this. It is such a difficult call as you would have to return both ponies and Party Time is also tricky to find in good condition. As everyone else has mentioned there isn't anything that you can do with Gingerbread chemically that will improve her, it would actually make her condition worse. Please let us know what you do decide to do and send photo's if you clean her up: photo's are awesome  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal