collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What MLP Generation do you resonate with?

G1s
G2s
G3s
G4s
All/Some
G3.5

Author Topic: Does anyone have just one gen that they stick to?  (Read 4426 times)

Offline Faeriefalls

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have just one gen that they stick to?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 08:18:02 PM »
Did your gen collection start from a specific pony you just clicked with?

I can answer that one. It was Medley. The rest is pony history.

Nice! Im pretty sure my first ever pony was G1 Applejack. My massive obsession was over Sparkle Ponies though  :happy:

In terms of collecting it is G3 for me. The only other generation that I have any actual brushables from is G1, and that's only two.

The very first pony I saw I had to have was Candy Cane, then Jazz Matazz, and then... The list kept on growing. There are still so many I wasn't able to get, but that's fine. College is much more important.

Theres some really nice christmas G3s I will admit. I like the colours a lot in that gen and wish G1 had some of those newer combos.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona Ref
Formerly Witch

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 01:50:05 AM »
I do have ponies from all generations (no MLP is left behind if found in the wild!), but G1 are my focus and I have way, way more of them than any other gen.

I always thought G3 was my second favourite, because they look like G1, but it turns out I have amassed quite a lot of G4, and Equestria Girls of course. I love Equestria Girls!

Story Time: My girlfriend (who got me into ponies by showing me her childhood collection - though I don't think she realised how obsessed I would become!) was at peak Pony Owning Age just as G2 were coming out in the UK. However, as her family weren't very well off, her ponies were all G1s from charity shops. They were generally very cheap, so she had quite a lot of them. Her best friend at school had a handful of the new G2s. My gf felt very sorry for her friend that she had so few ponies, and that the ponies she did have were not "real" ponies, but strange skinny impostors! :D She now appreciates G2 a lot more and we own a few, but she will always be a G1 girl at heart - and thanks to her childhood collection being my gateway drug into MLP, I think I will be too :)

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2017, 03:50:18 AM »
I collect G1, G2, and G3.
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 04:59:12 AM »
G1's here. I have a few G3's, but do not actively collect them.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 05:05:13 AM »
I am a G1 collector. I have ponies from all the generations but it's only G1 which I consider a proper collection. The others I have the ones I like, mostly. The G2 we collected a lot when they were in stores but they've been away in storage for a long time and I don't actually know mostly what we even have. I sold off half of my G3 to keep only one box full which are ones I like and that didn't bother me at all, so I clearly wasn't attached.
Many of my G4 have special memories attached - I often pick them up on holiday, so I have three from Finland, one from Czech Republic, two or three from France, one from Austria and one from Portugal. I also have Fluttsi who my sister bought for me as a good luck charm for my trip to Japan so she's really special to me and has had her photo taken all over Japan as well as in Lisbon. The others I buy if I like the look of them but I am not fussed about 'collecting' them.

I don't like the new moulds for the G4 and I don't really like the mane 6 (except my special Fluttershy that my sister bought me). I don't like the series, either. It's literally just "that's pretty, I like her, she's coming home with me" for most of them.

But I don't have anything like the same sense of excitement as I do when I find G1 ponies or get new G1 stuff or even remembering how it used to be in stores. Nostalgia is super powerful to me in my collecting, I think. So I will always be a G1 person, though I don't hate any.

I don't consider G3.5 really a whole separate generation but I don't have any of them and don't really intend to.

I don't really remember this, since I was 2-3 when I had my first G1 MLP but my mother tells me that while I had Windy first, it wasn't till I got Baby Blossom, with all her accessories, that I really played with the ponies. Then they became like mother and baby. I only had a few though up till the end of 1987 when my Dad got a new job, and there was a little bit more money around. Before I had just one here and there but from around 1988 I started getting more than one pony from a set (Mountain boys = 3, Party/TAF ponies = 3) so that was when I wasn't just getting bought them by parents or grandparents but was also saving my own money to buy them too. I know I bought at least one Mountain Boy and one Party Pony with my own money.

I think 1987-8 when I was 5-6 years old was when it really took off. Perhaps it was getting Sunburst when my sister was born...though I think the first pony I remember choosing was Tropical Breeze after my 5th birthday...so perhaps it was really her?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:09:13 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TornadoLovesMelody

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Album (not updated)
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 05:47:40 AM »
I was given Majesty and the Dream Castle at age 1. And from there on out I only wanted ponies for Christmas and Birthdays and every other occasion with gifts. <3

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »
I stick to two Gens: G1 & G3. I grew up with G1. When I got back into collecting as an adult, I first got into G3. I liked the variety, that their look was reminiscent of G1, and that they were more affordable. After a couple years, I also began collecting G1 again.

Offline Faeriefalls

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 04:34:52 PM »
I am a G1 collector. I have ponies from all the generations but it's only G1 which I consider a proper collection. The others I have the ones I like, mostly. The G2 we collected a lot when they were in stores but they've been away in storage for a long time and I don't actually know mostly what we even have. I sold off half of my G3 to keep only one box full which are ones I like and that didn't bother me at all, so I clearly wasn't attached.
Many of my G4 have special memories attached - I often pick them up on holiday, so I have three from Finland, one from Czech Republic, two or three from France, one from Austria and one from Portugal. I also have Fluttsi who my sister bought for me as a good luck charm for my trip to Japan so she's really special to me and has had her photo taken all over Japan as well as in Lisbon. The others I buy if I like the look of them but I am not fussed about 'collecting' them.

I don't like the new moulds for the G4 and I don't really like the mane 6 (except my special Fluttershy that my sister bought me). I don't like the series, either. It's literally just "that's pretty, I like her, she's coming home with me" for most of them.

But I don't have anything like the same sense of excitement as I do when I find G1 ponies or get new G1 stuff or even remembering how it used to be in stores. Nostalgia is super powerful to me in my collecting, I think. So I will always be a G1 person, though I don't hate any.

I don't consider G3.5 really a whole separate generation but I don't have any of them and don't really intend to.

I don't really remember this, since I was 2-3 when I had my first G1 MLP but my mother tells me that while I had Windy first, it wasn't till I got Baby Blossom, with all her accessories, that I really played with the ponies. Then they became like mother and baby. I only had a few though up till the end of 1987 when my Dad got a new job, and there was a little bit more money around. Before I had just one here and there but from around 1988 I started getting more than one pony from a set (Mountain boys = 3, Party/TAF ponies = 3) so that was when I wasn't just getting bought them by parents or grandparents but was also saving my own money to buy them too. I know I bought at least one Mountain Boy and one Party Pony with my own money.

I think 1987-8 when I was 5-6 years old was when it really took off. Perhaps it was getting Sunburst when my sister was born...though I think the first pony I remember choosing was Tropical Breeze after my 5th birthday...so perhaps it was really her?

Thats awesome, Taffeta! I agree with you on the G4 moulds. I dont mind the mane 6 characters but I prefer a lot of the other characters more. The only main characters I ever really like from franchises like mlp is the MH main ghouls. Although Fluttershy I probably resonate best with or perhaps a dash of Rarity (but only a minute dash). I like some of the unexpected heroes though!

Personally I dont consider G3.5 much of a thing at all. They didnt really ever take off for me.

I was given Majesty and the Dream Castle at age 1. And from there on out I only wanted ponies for Christmas and Birthdays and every other occasion with gifts. <3

Nice! Majesty is so beautiful. I think my mum just found Applejack in an Op shop to be honest and thats how it all started.

I stick to two Gens: G1 & G3. I grew up with G1. When I got back into collecting as an adult, I first got into G3. I liked the variety, that their look was reminiscent of G1, and that they were more affordable. After a couple years, I also began collecting G1 again.

I'm leaning towards that as well. I'm G1 but have found that I do grab any G3s I see in Op shops too. G1-2-3 are the ones that I find collectable.

Persona Ref
Formerly Witch

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 04:46:05 PM »
I only collect G1. There are usually other generations hanging out here but they eventually move on.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline Faeriefalls

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2017, 11:41:15 PM »
I only collect G1. There are usually other generations hanging out here but they eventually move on.

G1 seems to resonate with a lot of collectors here. Theres some major nostalgia in it for me I think.

Persona Ref
Formerly Witch

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2017, 08:40:06 AM »
My first G1 was Windy. I still need to get her back in my collection in fact. Rainbows and unicorns were everywhere in the 80s. She's so beautiful because she's both. She was a gift but I dunno who from? I was very young.

My first G3s were a 4-pack of earth ponies. Stardasher, Denim Blue, Rainbowdash and Sparkleworks. I gave away 2 and am customizing one. Still have Stardasher however. They were a christmas present from my grandma.

My first G4s were Diamond Mint and Lira Heartstrings. I gave them away, but got them back later. They are very pretty unicorns. I love the water cutie gimmick. In an entire toyline of lazy and blah, this set is so unique and beautiful! And totally unlike anything that came before it. Lira is just elegant in her colors and symbol. She reminds me of Bee-bop and the second one I bought, doesn't have a poisonous chemical smell. Wth is Hasbro doing over there?

I've decided that my first G2 will be Prince Firefly. He seems fairly easy to find, is very affordable and has dark and bold colors.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:45:46 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Faeriefalls

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »
My first G1 was Windy. I still need to get her back in my collection in fact. Rainbows and unicorns were everywhere in the 80s. She's so beautiful because she's both. She was a gift but I dunno who from? I was very young.

My first G3s were a 4-pack of earth ponies. Stardasher, Denim Blue, Rainbowdash and Sparkleworks. I gave away 2 and am customizing one. Still have Stardasher however. They were a christmas present from my grandma.

My first G4s were Diamond Mint and Lira Heartstrings. I gave them away, but got them back later. They are very pretty unicorns. I love the water cutie gimmick. In an entire toyline of lazy and blah, this set is so unique and beautiful! And totally unlike anything that came before it. Lira is just elegant in her colors and symbol. She reminds me of Bee-bop and the second one I bought, doesn't have a poisonous chemical smell. Wth is Hasbro doing over there?

I've decided that my first G2 will be Prince Firefly. He seems fairly easy to find, is very affordable and has dark and bold colors.

That’s awesome Leave a Whisper! It’s great to have ponies you enjoy that span over several generations! I really need to get my small G3 collection out of storage and see who I actually own. I don’t know names or anything unfortunately! Only really know G1 names and even then I can get confused between their actual names and the names I used as a kid because they were easier or I was just rebelling! :silly:

Persona Ref
Formerly Witch

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2017, 03:39:43 PM »
My first G1 was Windy.
Woot! Snap! :D Rainbow Ponies ftw!

It annoys me that right now there is a crop top nightwear set in Primark with Windy and Moonstone on and because I know I'd never wear it I can't buy it :( but it's so nice to see her getting love :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2017, 03:44:04 PM »
My first G1 was Windy.

It annoys me that right now there is a crop top nightwear set in Primark with Windy and Moonstone on and because I know I'd never wear it I can't buy it :( but it's so nice to see her getting love :D

Ooh! That sounds cute!
I love Rainbow ponies. They're such a beautiful, but simple set.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2017, 04:06:22 PM »
My first G1 was Windy.

Ooh! That sounds cute!
I love Rainbow ponies. They're such a beautiful, but simple set.

They are indeed. I love them too. I am still sad we only got the first set here (and a weird deluded Confetti who cosplayed as a bride at a fairy's wedding...O.o.)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal