collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fun card games for a non-gamer group?  (Read 732 times)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
Fun card games for a non-gamer group?
« on: November 14, 2017, 02:31:50 AM »
Can anyone help me?!

I'm hoping to have a get together to cheer up my newly single SIL, with a few drinks and some fun games to keep focus off of sensitive topics for all of us. I have CAH, and we'll probably play that for a while, but are there any other card or other fun games that people recommend to keep the fun vibe going? We're easy-going people, and pretty hard to offend, but personalized insults are probably not something we could handle right now, and I know a few games are that way inclined. There will only be a handful of people, of which I'm the only nerd/gamer type, so I need stuff that's not too niche, and can handle low-ish numbers, lets say 3-4 at the lowest if people start piking out and going to bed early.

No recommendation is too cheesy or lame... we love a good dad joke, and can dish out the crudest humour, all I care is that it's fun! Bring on your party staples, I want to fill our home with laughter!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Fun card games for a non-gamer group?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 10:21:16 AM »
There's a game called Curses that you could try.  Basically, you'll end up with cards that say things like "Bark whenever someone says Cat" or "Don't use your hands for the next five rounds" and you have to do what they say until the game tells you to quit.  If you fail to fulfill the curse three times, you're out. 

My family likes to play Phase 10 and Five Crowns.  They're just regular card games and they're similar.  The main difference is in Phase 10 if you don't complete the "phase" you stay on that phase until you do.  Whoever beats the 10th Phase and gets rid of their cards first wins but points are kept in case more than one person completes the phase before someone goes out.  In Five Crowns everyone moves at the same pace whether or not they met the requirements of the round and points decide the winner.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 03:37:37 PM »
I highly recommend getting Love Letter :) it’s a card game where you have to find who has the Princess card.

I’ve played it with groups of adult friends and kids alike. It’s easy to learn and fun to play.

You can get the original game or if you choose there are loads of themed versions from Adventure Time to Star Wars!

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 03:28:16 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I'll look into all of these! Excited for this get together to happen!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 04:19:47 PM »
Apples to apples is good, so is cards against humanity or exploding kittens. 

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 10:00:10 PM »
Apples to apples is good, so is cards against humanity or exploding kittens. 

I second Apples to Apples or Exploding Kittens!  Apples to Apples is fun for parties because it is so simple that there is really no learning curve, and it can be downright hilarious, even with a mix of ages/genders/interests.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 04:45:40 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm tempted by exploding kittens, it sounds really fun, and I can get it super cheap online. Apples to apples is the predecessor to CAH, right? From what I understand it's the same concept and gameplay, but with different cards. I could always get it for a different type of gathering, like when parents and younger family members are playing! (imagines the trope from all those shows where the 'secret' table flips over, and there are different cards, haha!) I love being the supplier of things, I'm the family member who always has whatever you need in a lot of arenas, and because my own family is scattered and scarce, it makes me feel like I belong with my in-laws, which is nice!

Has anyone played Joking hazard? It's like CAH, but you pick the next panel in the comic strip, rather than filling in the blanks. I'm wondering if it's as fun as CAH.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:04:25 AM by Stormness_1 »

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 05:47:23 PM »
CAH, Joking Hazard (SO MUCH INSANE FUN lol like CAH/apples to apples but with pictures), exploding kittens, Sushi go, fluxx (there are soooooo many versions and its so much fun but Firefly fluxx is my favorite by far lol), boss monster, munchkin (those 2 are kind of longer/rule learning), bears vs babies ....... and i know i'm missing so many because i can't think lol
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 08:18:09 PM »
Joking Hazard is pretty funny, you get some interesting plots. Apples to Apples is fun too. It has a few different ways to play too like using the opposite of the judge card rather than the most like that card. We just bought Sleep in a Bucket and crap Happens for a gifts for my brothers and sisters-in-law. Hopefully we get to play them too. You can look up Trump (nothing to do with the president). A friend taught us but don’t think I could explain it. It just takes a regular deck. Uno has always been a favorite of mine as well.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 08:37:01 PM »
I was gifted exploding kittens for secret Santa this year, so good.

My favorite card game would have be werewolf.
Its basically werewolfs vrs villagers.   
Your randomly dealt a card and your now on that team. 
Villagers win if they kill a werewolf and werewolf's win if they don't die.
You have a night cycle, every one closes their eyes and you listen to an app that walks you through which role goes first.
For example if you got the Seer you can look at any one players card or up to two cards in the middle. 
After everyone completes their roles you wake up (open your eyes) and talk for 5 mins trying to figure out who the werewolf is.
At the end of 5 mins you have to vote.  The person with the most votes dies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal