collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro and Mattel rumored to be in merger talks  (Read 3501 times)

Offline Jennifer2004

• Hooked on Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Looking for Bowtie variants, nirvanas, & merch!
    • View Profile
    • Jennifer Bischoff
Re: Hasbro and Mattel rumored to be in merger talks
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 08:13:15 AM »
I agree that competition is good for business. Not sure what to expect from a merger like this. I feel like the quality of Mattel dolls (though it has declined a lot in recent years) is still leaps and bounds better than the quality (and sameness) of Hasbro dolls. Though Hasbro funding + Mattel ideas could be a good thing, I hate to think what the outcome would be if Hasbro decides to throw out Mattel ideas and impose their own.

~Jennifer
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

eCrater Store - Commissions Info - Facebook Page

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 08:53:56 AM »
I was just reading something on MSN this morning about this. There was a story about five brands that are hurting and Mattel was one of them.  There was something in there that the Frozen brand was give to Hasbro and that is one thing that is really hurting Mattel. :(

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 12:31:42 AM »
Maybe it'll cause MGA, Spin Master and Moose to step up their respective games? Good products always come out of a nice competitive atmosphere  ^.^

Out of all those companies only MGA is a US company. Spin Master is Canadian and Moose is Australian.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 11:37:15 AM »
I was just reading something on MSN this morning about this. There was a story about five brands that are hurting and Mattel was one of them.  There was something in there that the Frozen brand was give to Hasbro and that is one thing that is really hurting Mattel. :(
Yeah, the Disney brand seems very crucial. Hasbro scooped it up from Mattel and, well, just look at how Frozen still has a presence in the Disney toy aisle!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 02:58:25 PM »
Frozen is so important as it's own independent brand, Disney has refused to join it with the greater Disney Princess line.  Though, the movie did end with them being a Queen and a Grand Duchess, so they wouldn't fit there anyway.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »
I would be surprised if they were allowed to join, considering how much of the toys and games market share they both have-  but who knows- maybe the current administration will lift some of those rules...

I think it would be bad.  If there is only ONE major doll maker, than quality could and likely would fall, as there would be very few alternatives to buy...

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2017, 08:11:10 PM »
Frozen is so important as it's own independent brand, Disney has refused to join it with the greater Disney Princess line.  Though, the movie did end with them being a Queen and a Grand Duchess, so they wouldn't fit there anyway.

Mulan isn't even royalty and that didn't stop them from including her. Anyways I think they are just keeping Frozen separate because there's a sequel in the works.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2017, 11:17:28 PM »
Sounds like the end of competition to me.... if they merge, it'll mean that prices could shoot up, and quality go down the toilet..... They'd be this horrible super-monster that just owned the entire toy industry.....
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 12:21:55 AM »
Sounds like the end of competition to me.... if they merge, it'll mean that prices could shoot up, and quality go down the toilet..... They'd be this horrible super-monster that just owned the entire toy industry.....

Mattel has been hurting for a while and are no longer the biggest player in the industry. Lego is pretty strong and if you think about it most of the current big crazes have come from other companies besides Mattel or Hasbro like LOL Surprise from MGA, Hatchimals from Spin Master, Fingerlings from Wowwee, and Shopkins from Moose.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2017, 06:28:39 AM »
MLP-themed Hot Wheels would be cool...  ^.^

Would buy those in a heartbeat.

Who knows. Might see them "cross the streams" with Barbie and GI Joe. :P

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2017, 09:32:20 AM »

Mattel has been hurting for a while and are no longer the biggest player in the industry. Lego is pretty strong and if you think about it most of the current big crazes have come from other companies besides Mattel or Hasbro like LOL Surprise from MGA, Hatchimals from Spin Master, Fingerlings from Wowwee, and Shopkins from Moose.

But I think Hasbro and Mattel are the only big ones that do dolls-

I know there is MGA but they are waaaay smaller-  and if Hasbro and Mattel merge into one, they would probably try and make things very difficult for any remaining doll makers (Mattel is already guilty of buying up all the Seran so that other doll makers are forced to get alternatives that don't look so great)

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2017, 11:13:42 AM »

But I think Hasbro and Mattel are the only big ones that do dolls-

I know there is MGA but they are waaaay smaller-  and if Hasbro and Mattel merge into one, they would probably try and make things very difficult for any remaining doll makers (Mattel is already guilty of buying up all the Seran so that other doll makers are forced to get alternatives that don't look so great)

The problem is Mattel's sales have been falling and this might be the only thing that they can do to save their company. If Mattel goes out of business then we will end up in the same position only with all the brands Mattel used to have gone.

Saran isn't as great as people think. A high quality nylon feels better and holds curls better. With Saran you need to use a pre-curled Saran to get nice curls.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 04:42:29 PM »
I think they were just doing it to raise their stock price.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 04:49:18 PM »
Good point, Al-1701.  Maybe they never intended it seriously and just wanted a little stock bump!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal