collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rusty  (Read 9636 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Rusty
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 03:07:32 AM »
Hrm. All very fascinating. THanks, Ember. I hadn't realised there were fakes with green eyes out there. That does make it more complicated. Unfortunately most of the images I can';t load, it's blocking me out with the pay for photobucket logo (which is silly, I'm just viewing them, sigh).

On the subject of black and brown eyeliner - this has come up a lot with the movie star ponies and especially Truly and Cupcake. Mostly it's believed that they always have brown eyeliner and any with black are fake, but I have a Truly with black and one with brown. I took the black one to Ponycon this year and PKW and LadyG both looked at it and both believe she's genuine and not a deflock. I know that there were lots of theories about where black and brown eyeliner ponies were sold with the movie star ponies but most of those don't end up proving a consistent pattern. There's always a MOC one to throw a spanner in the works.

It makes me wonder a bit more about these...whether there ever were any with black eyeliner...or not.

Because of the frauds that happened so publically so many years ago, I have always been really sceptical of Reverse Gusty except for the couple that have proper recorded pedigree (including yours). Now I wonder whether we've dismissed more as fakes than actually are because of these tiny details. I know that some had glue tested and stuff and some from one particular seller were fake. But what if they weren't a design prototype so much as a factory run of maybe 100 or 200 that were discarded because the hair colour was the wrong way around...? What if there *are* more than we thought, and the fakes and scam have just made us overly suspicious? I mean, if there are 3 and they have variations between those three...??

I don't really know right now how to think about this. It's become really interesting, but I have no real answers. I've never wanted a RG and I still feel that way...but the whole thing seems more complicated than we at first thought...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 04:08:32 AM »
I believe babydolls has brown eyeliner too.

I believe the symbols are a dead give away. They are
Different than the color of US UK and different in shape
Than US UK and Scandi gusty.

Also the tail washer and clamp in my fake gusty were large and the real reverse gusty had a small clamp and tail washer like US gusty.

I uploaded on another site. Try this link. Feel free to grab these photos and post them to the gallery.

Real Reverse gusty comparison pictures
https://imgur.com/gallery/QQHb7

Fake reverse gusty photos
https://imgur.com/gallery/oTrhD

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:21:23 AM by Ember1 »
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2018, 08:09:41 AM »
Thank you SO much Ember1 for those images :cheer:

Rusty will have her own album now like Painting Time, so all the information can be together in one place :bigups: I don't think anywhere has a comprehensive set of images like that.

I was going to suggest Imgur or Flickr as new hosting sites for your images. The clickable links still worked from Photobucket though :bigups: Personally I tried DropBox, but it wasn't straight forward to create a URL so you could insert an image. I then discovered that my cloud service allows me to third party host for free, so I use that :)

The images on your Photobucket aren't lost, you can still download them back onto your PC/Mac/Phone/whatever you use :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »
Hair length was also a noticable difference between the fake and real reverse
Gusty. Check out this photo. Feel free to use this also.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:41:01 AM by Ember1 »
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2018, 11:58:49 AM »
Photobucket won't let me see the image :(

I do remember the hair being longer on the fake though and you can just about see it on one of the side by side pictures, the real Gusty has shorter neater hair. The texture of the hair looks different as well. Real Gusty has much smoother hair, were as the fake has rougher looking hair and it is not just dry, the individual fibers look thicker and more rough.

You can very clearly see all the differences with the two Gustys (real and fake) next to each other. It is quite blatant!

Love pkw xxx

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2018, 12:37:36 PM »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 01:07:51 PM »
It's not working for me :( I don't understand why as the other photobucket links earlier in this thread worked.

I'll try on my phone, just in case it works there.

Love pkw xxx

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2018, 01:10:44 PM »
Apparently this Chrome plug-in fixes the Photobucket-images-not-showing-up issue:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embedded-imag/ogipgokcopooepeipngiikdkpmcpkaon

Haven't gotten round to trying it out myself but figured I might as well drop a link to it here, hopefully it'll help y'all :) I really hate how Photobucket screwed up their site...

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 03:08:44 PM »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2018, 05:11:58 AM »
Yes, that one works :heart:

Love pkw xxx

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2018, 11:05:31 AM »
It is very blatant when compared like that. The hair doesn't look at all like Hasbro rooted it. It's too long and not the right texture for Gusty. I also see the issue with the symbol. Interesting. I can't load the others though :(

Looking at that symbol, I actually wonder if it's been reglittered over. It would make more sense for someone to take a common UK Gusty and remove the paint but glitter the leaves on based on how they looked before than it would to customise a Scandi. (Unless we know this one was made as a custom and not as a fake to pass off as real, in which case that's another matter).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:08:18 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2018, 11:49:01 AM »
I've added all the pictures to the nirvana gallery ^.^

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=473098

There are some Gusty comparisons here :)

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=471367

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=471369

Rusty and Scandinavian Gusty have a slightly short mane compared to US and Euro Gusty :)

Love pkw xxx

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2018, 03:23:49 PM »
The pictures are all in the gallery now taffetta. Take a look. ;)
And yes the fake i had was sold as real on ebay around 12 years ago

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2018, 03:32:42 AM »
The pictures are all in the gallery now taffetta. Take a look. ;)
And yes the fake i had was sold as real on ebay around 12 years ago

I managed to take a quick look last night. I can definitely see what you mean about the symbols. And it's good you have the provenance of the fake as an intentional fraud. Kind of sad though that it happened 12 years ago. The original scam was longer ago than that - I wonder if the one you have was one from that era that just stayed around or whether people were still faking them as late as 2006. If the latter it's going to make it increasingly difficult to establish how many of these there really were.

We don't have a catalogue for Rusty at the moment but if she's like Susie and co appear to be,  it might be that a handful were made for toy fair promotion purposes for whatever reason.

One other thing occurred to me. So as you know, the UK didn't get the set with Powder etc, so didn't get Gusty until the movie star set. It's the only pony from the year 3 unicorn and peg set we got in any form, but there are still questions about what was meant to happen here given the amount of promotion. Maybe Rusty fits in in this gap zone. Maybe she was part of the project for the UK release in that year but because it didn't happen, we only have a few samples surviving. I am still convinced Gusty was not originally going to be part of the movie star set but that Ribbon was instead, because it's Ribbon on Megan and Sundance's card story and Ribbon illustrated with the set in the club stuff for 1987. I feel like Hasbro realised really late that they hadn't sold Gusty here and so hurriedly switched them over. It's also possible that Rusty happened in that time frame.

I obviously can't 100% prove Ribbon rather than Gusty was intended as the hasbro catalogue shows Gusty, not Ribbon. But I think there's more of a case for her than there is Lofty, even if there's less of one for her than Paradise.

I don't know with any of this for sure, but her relationship to Scandi Gusty probably puts her in the 1986 bracket...and the green eyes continued into 1987 for the movie stars.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2018, 06:47:51 AM »
It's 1986 again!!!!

I was just looking through my Club membership stuff from 1986 and 1987. Lofty is shown on the 1987 calendar. There is Megan and Sundance on most of the stuff as well as the ponies from the 1986 My Little Pony set. I could only find Baby Ribbon on the certificate, I don't have everything though :)

Looking at Reverse Gusty she is a mix of features that would indicate what you suggest Taffeta.... 1986 again!

Love pkw xxx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal