collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Disappointed in American Girl Doll  (Read 1217 times)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Disappointed in American Girl Doll
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:17:20 AM »
I got American Girl doll Z Yang for a gift.  I was looking so forward to her but the quality of her wig is terrible.  Her hair is in pigtails.  The problem is if you take her hair down there is not enough hair in the wig to cover the back of her head.  This is just unacceptable for a company like this.  I have had other AG dolls with braids that had a thick full wig so they could wear their hair down.  I am really upset that AG has gone so low as to cost the same but put out poor quality dolls.  Then the sewed on underwear is just awful.  I thought they decided not to do that. I am just really not happy.  I will not be buying any more of their dolls.  This has just ended my love with AG forever.  Once you see a quality issue like this, it will be spread across the whole line in one way or another.  The customer will be paying so much for items that are worth a whole lot less.  What a shame. -_-
The other issue is the doll does not have eyes that match in size.  I was told by my husband that none of the Z dolls in the store had the same size eyes.  He should not have bought her like that.  The left eye is normal and the right eye is smaller and it is quite noticeable.  This is the first time ever I have been disappointed with an AG purchase.  It is sad that this is a doll line that now may not be worth what people are spending.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:22:25 AM by tulagirl »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointed in American Girl Doll
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 07:30:22 AM »
You can send in Z to  have her permapanties switched out...  contact the Doll Hospital.

And yeah the wigs have been terrible hit or miss quality in recent years.  I would say over the past three years the luxury and quality have gone RIGHT downhill.  Most fans know this, but they are emotionally invested in the aesthetic/brand so it's hard to get people to boycott and demand better products. :(

And yeahhhhhhh the Jess mold and its eye placement issues... sigh they need to MAKE a new one but they keep using and modifying the older one.  :(  BF Addy has this problem a bit too!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:56:53 AM »
I'm sorry your Z has so much wrong with her Tula ):

I was really looking forward to buying her around release day but the permapanty fiasco scared me away. I don't want to deal with the disappointment of getting them or the hassle of the Doll Hospital so I kicked her off my wishlist.

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 03:51:20 PM »
Was she bought in a store or online? If you can get to one of the stores, take her back and exchange her. If you're still not happy with the second one, try again.

These all all issues that fans have been complaining about for years. The Jess mold has always been a bit wonky. The permapanties  is a "rolling change", meaning they have to sell the already produced stock first before going back to the old design. Now the thin wig, that's the big deal and should never be acceptable on any AG doll.

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 07:02:36 AM »
What I have decided to do is write a letter to the company.  I feel that all of the dolls have these issues and exchanging her is not going to make a difference. Plus I have the heart of the person that got her for me to consider.  That is far more important than the doll itself.  I will also say that I have been a collector of AG for years like the early 90's.  I don't discuss them online so, I don't know everything going on with them.  My collecting has just been a personal fun thing for me.  I have no idea that people have been complaining about these things for years.   They were wrong about the permapanties being easy to cover up. I have found that some of the things I have in my AG clothing groups are not covering those permapanties.  I feel that doing that was wrong at many levels but I won't go into the way I feel it sets girls apart and gives the wrong message.  It's something I just feel inside and don't want to turn it into a debate.  I am not spending shipping money to return this doll to a hospital to remove her panties.  I have two dolls that need new heads and that is far more important and costly.

If this has been going on for years and AG has done nothing about it then that just tells me my decision to not collect this brand is right for me.  A company that doesn't listen and make changes is a company that will fail.  It is obvious they are cutting corners with cheap wigs and trying to get by with this to save them money and charge the consumer more.  They get the profit and we get the cheap product.  I have a real problem with this and I am going to let them know that in as nice a way as I can muster up on paper.

I will repair my other dolls and then I guess I will be done until I see things being done differently.  Maybe what I say will not matter to them, but at least I will know that I addressed it with them.  AG was supposed to be different, high quality, gorgeous clothing and accessories; a better doll to buy for the money.  The minute they decide to change their values about that quality they become just like every other doll out there.  I miss the way AG use to be and what they use to sell and what is missing from their stores. I don't understand all their changes and feel that many of those changes are unnecessary in spite of the fact that they think girls have changed so much.  The doll line use to be so magical, now it just feels like it has lost its magic. :cry:  I miss the huge catalogs I use to get in the 1990's with historical costumes for children right down to the shoes.  Everything they sold was so highly desired and the dolls were so awesome.

I know my post is quite negative.  It is just for me to see this for myself when I am not in a loop of complainers to know what is going on-I am shocked and sad by it.

There was still one other doll I wanted, but I am concerned I will be disappointed when I never ever was.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:14:52 AM by tulagirl »

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 07:08:17 AM »

If this has been going on for years and AG has done nothing about it then that just tells me my decision to not collect this brand is right for me.  A company that doesn't listen and make changes is a company that will fail.  It is obvious they are cutting corners with cheap wigs and trying to get by with this to save them money and charge the consumer more.  They get the profit and we get the cheap product.  I have a real problem with this and I am going to let them know that in as nice a way as I can muster up on paper.

*hugs*  I had to write a letter to the company for nearly the very same reasons.  And now I DON'T buy from AG, in fact I haven't bought anything since last year!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 07:18:44 AM »
I am just glad I can come here and talk about how I feel about it ya know. Sigh that is super bad Lovesbabysquirmy.

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 09:05:30 AM »
Ag is dissapoiting to me too because the quality of the horses are awful the paint chips when you change the saddle
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 01:08:49 PM »
Ag is dissapoiting to me too because the quality of the horses are awful the paint chips when you change the saddle

I thought their bodies were covered in fabric? Where does the paint chip?

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 07:05:56 AM »

Can I see a picture of this?

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 08:51:52 AM »
Seriously contact the company:) not the store, the actual company. If they have a website they have either a contact email or a place to write a comment. Do this.

I used to just accept it, but the past few years I have sent comments/ emails to companies and I get response. I have bought expensive needles, they broke made a polite but stern email and got them replaced for free with gift. I had yarn cut in 4 places in one ball and now I have 2 balls of yarn coming to me. Not to get free things, but if no one makes a statement these companies just keep doing this.

My needles used to break alot, they improved the product now it happens less. So it's good to let them know. There gas times I have just gotten we are sorry you are upset, but we won't do anything, but being quit has no affect:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal