collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

When is it acceptable for the first snowfall of the season? [Southern hemisphere in brackets]

October 31 [April 30]
20 (10.8%)
December 1 [June 1]
64 (34.4%)
December 21 [June 21]
24 (12.9%)
January 1 [July 1]
8 (4.3%)
Anytime
28 (15.1%)
Never
31 (16.7%)
Other
11 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 177

Author Topic: Oh, the weather outside is frightful  (Read 5121 times)

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
Oh, the weather outside is frightful
« on: November 07, 2017, 07:59:59 AM »
:snow: :snowing: :snowball: :sled: :ski: :cold:

It was raining lightly here on Halloween, and overnight it snowed. It's been here ever since. We even got 39 cm (15.35 in) of snow last week.

I have a love/hate relationship with snow. Mostly hate because I am not a big winter fan. It never snowed in my hometown in Arizona. I always wanted to find out what it was like in my childhood. (Oh, the irony).

That said, I can sometimes enjoy the beauty of snow. Especially if there is also hoarfrost on all the branches and things outside. It can be quite breathtaking. Also, it can be very bright outside when there is a clear blue sky and sunbeams reflecting that snow. One of my favorite things about winter is when we get those shaped snowflakes.

To answer my own poll, I have a temptation to say "never" is a good time to snow, but I imagine even I would miss it after awhile. (Miss it a little bit). So perhaps there can be snow for just one month, the month that winter starts. Then it can go away until next year. :P I'll say December 1st.

How do you feel about snow? :) Do you get snow where you live?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Oh, the weather outside is frightful
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 08:18:48 AM »
I don't have too much of an opinion on when it snows, but it snowed here a couple days ago. Not a whole lot, but it stuck a little bit and I took some pictures of some ponies in it (album here if you want to see).

It's really pretty when it snows and when the snow is fresh. But then when it snows a lot and it becomes all slushy and dirty on the sides of the roads, it becomes really ugly...

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Littlesparklepony

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »
We still have 8 degrees here in the South of Sweden. Today was sunny but some Days are really grey and rainy.

Last time we had snow over Christmas was 2009. Many years we don´t hardly get any snow at all and if we do it melts away really fast.

So I would Love some snow and below freezing in December, especially over Christmas!  :snowball:

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 08:45:17 AM »
Ugh, I hate snow and ice. Where's the comes Dec. 23rd at midnight and leaves at 1 a.m. on Boxing Day option? :lol: I suppose that's not so realistic, so I picked December 21st. :)

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 08:49:24 AM »
We usually have first snowfall by mid/end of november in my area :) If it does not come by then, it might comes later, in january. I can tell because my daughter and my husband have their birthdays in november (25th and 26th) and sometime we had snow and sometimes it was too warm and snow came after New Years Eve.
I hope we can expect some soon, its been going down to 2-4°C during the day! (I love snow, did you guess it already? lol).

Lol, funny thing to tell... my in-laws live next village (6km from here) and sometimes they have snow and we dont XD Its because their village is higher above mean sea level compared to us. Not much but sometimes its enough.

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 08:50:02 AM »
Ugh, I hate snow and ice. Where's the comes Dec. 23rd at midnight and leaves at 1 a.m. on Boxing Day option? :lol: I suppose that's not so realistic, so I picked December 21st. :)

I'm totally with you on that! We're supposed to get a teensy above 0°C in the coming days. Just long enough to make ice a thing everywhere, I'm sure, but not enough to make much of a dent in the snow. I'm gonna hide under the bed. :hide: LOL
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 09:22:36 AM »
Snowing habits are a bit weird in my area. Some years it goes off on one and we get loads of snow, others it's just a bit here and there. I'm an equal opportunities person though; doesn't matter how much or how little it snows, I hate it anyway! XD

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 09:46:58 AM »
Nope. Nope!  Soo much nope.

I guess its nice for the last 2 weeks in December.  Then it can go away.

Not like that's what happens but that would be ideal for me.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline BethMcBeth

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.BethMcBeth.com
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 09:58:15 AM »
For me in the Northen Hemisphere I would say the start of December. But for me we got snow in very early November. I am not the biggest fan of it but it is pretty the first few days. :P

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »
Northern dweller here. I’d say November first. So long as it’s after Halloween, I don’t really care when.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 10:08:49 AM »
Well ... in the UK you are LUCKY to even get snow  :cry: (well unless you are in Scotland, they get it more than down here)

I love snow so absolutely any time is perfectly fine with me. Obviously I would love it for Christmas at least once but.... if it snows before Christmas here it is usually yucky slush by my brothers birthday (23rd Dec).

The problem with the UK and snow is everyone in the UK panics! (well down here anyway). My boyfriend just doesn't understand it and finds it hilarious (he is Swedish). He was stuck on the run way at Heathrow for like 6-8 hours before because of Snow.... this was him in the UK.. just landed... but Heathrow couldn't coupe with the snow... obviously he was annoyed, but BA gave everyone on the plane free alcohol whilst they waited... so he was pretty tipsy by the time I met him at the gate  :lol:
Because of this though we NEVER fly to and from Heathrow anymore Gatwick is 1000% better as they have a heated run way. (plus its 10mins away from my Nana so handy  :lol:)

This year I am heading to Sweden (near Stockholm) for just over a week just before Christmas so really hoping it snows in Sweden, especially when we go to the Christmas Market  :biggrin: (hoping it snows in the UK when we get back too... but not the day we are flying  :lol:)

Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 10:13:43 AM »
It never snows here in SW Florida. I miss it!

The year I left my hometown in Wisconsin was one of the worst on record at that time. It snowed 48" in three days! We had massive 3 foot long killer icicles on the side of our garage. I have old photos somewhere...

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 10:42:48 AM »
I wanted to choose "Anytime", but went with Dec 1 in the end. My favourite season is winter, and it is exactly because of snow. I love snow (and I really hate the "simply very cold, dry cold with no snow" we recently get here), and I'd be happy to get it anytime* now. I can't remember the last time we had snow over Christmas. We had it for a few days in December last year, but already after Christmas. I'd already be very happy if this became a recurring thing, because I can't remember when we last had snow in December before that. It used to be the usual thing when I was a child... :(

*anytime only refers to the winter months, which should be Dec-Feb here. What we are prone to have here in the last few years is no snow up until late Feb/March, when it miraculously appears out of nowhere, bringing wintery cold. Sometimes also in April. It never stays, but the accompanying freeze is enough to kill all the buds on the plants who thought it's spring already (and it should be spring already in Mar/Apr here)...

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 11:01:01 AM »
Dang... I'm pretty sure that amount of snow you got there last week is more than the amount of snow we've gotten in the last six years combined.  :|

Early 2011 was a record breaking snowfall year where we got well over 20 inches in one year, and one area probably around where I'm living right now got 30 inches in one storm.

But it's like that was it... Now we get dustings, if we're lucky.

Anyway, considering how where I live summer weather can now happen anytime of the year I think it's only fair that winter weather can do the same, so I say "Anytime". But of course it doesn't work that way. We just get warmer winters and everything else gets warmer as well.  :sad:

If I lived somewhere normal I'd probably want the first snow sometime in November.

|My Collection|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 11:02:04 AM »
Just like Lollipop says, the UK has a strange relationship with snow.

We love the romantic idea of fluffy snowflakes, snow-covered landscapes and having is snow on Christmas Day (they even place bets on this).

In reality, maybe a couple of centimetres fall, stays for an hour then melts away. Normally in Feb/March - it seems to snow closer to Easter time than Christmas time!

If it is cold enough to settle and stay, all chaos ensues - trains are cancelled, road traffic goes crazy. It drives me nuts that a lot of drivers do not know how to drive in snow (of course, they are not used to it, but anyway...) driving too close and too fast and then astonished that they skid into the back of another car when the car in front needs to brake.   >_<

So yes, just for the Christmassy feel, it would be nice if it snowed in December then allowed the spring to come along afterwards and cheer everyone up with its warmth in the new year  :cool:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal