collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MOC Alternate Birthflower March - Badly Discoloured, Should I De-card?  (Read 3150 times)

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
A long awaited eBay purchase arrived today!  A MOC Alternate Birthflower March Pony on the horizontal Danish card.  The Alternate Birthflower Ponies have been one of my ultimate grail sets from the start, and I now have 7/12 of them (a mix of loose and MOC).  Actually, I accidentally doubled up on the August (Poppy) pony, I still don't know how I managed that  :blush:

Sadly, this March pony is not in good condition.  Despite the fact that the plastic bubble is fully intact, she has had serious discolouration due to what I can only assume is sun damage.  As you can see in the pictures, the DS is very yellowed.  She has brown spots that I think is vinyl cancer.  Its not just the vinyl of her  body which is discoloured, but her mane and tail also.  I should have been more thorough when inspecting the eBay listing photos - had I seen the extent of the damage I would not have paid as much as I did for her.  I thought the yellowing was due to the bubble, but I was very wrong  :(

I loathe to de-card any mint pony.  But if she is removed from the card and is cleaned and restored to a better condition, I wonder if she would actually be better off?  I fear she is not worth a great deal severely discoloured as she is now, even MOC.  I'm very conflicted.  Can anyone here please advise me? 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:55:45 AM by starstrider »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Birthflower March MOC - Badly Discoloured, Should I De-card?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 05:54:34 PM »
She's not really mint though is she? Poor old girl. However that is entirely up to you.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:52:28 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline starstrider

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 06:50:18 PM »
She's not really mint though is she? Poor old girl. However that is entire up to you.

Well, strictly speaking the term "mint" means that it has never been touched.  So technically she is still mint... she's just not in good condition due to what I can only assume is poor storage. 

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 12:37:27 AM »
Oh no, that is so sad! I would be concerned that leaving her in her packaging would allow those marks to continue spreading, however I do not have experience with MIB/MIP ponies. That is just my personal opinion. Good luck with your dilemma.

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
Re: MOC Alternate Birthflower March - Badly Discoloured, Should I De-card?
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 08:46:30 AM »
I would either see if you can return for a refund (if that's an option) or sell her on as-is. There are so few known examples from this set still on the card that I'm sure someone would love to own her as she is. Decarding such as rare "mint" on card would be a real shame, in my humble opinion.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 10:30:11 AM »
Yes, I agree with kitkatvintage, try selling her as-is (maybe with a reserve price) and see if you can recoup some of what you spent?

It's such a shame that she has deteriorated - I would have been really upset upon discovering this too  :(

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 03:51:46 PM »
I don't think decarding and cleaning will fix the discolorations, sorry. I would agree that you should either try to return her or ask for a partial refund.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 07:51:21 AM »
Aww, that is to sad :( 
I would probably keep her as is anyway, as she is probably more rare on card, than loose, even if discoloured.
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 08:51:30 AM »
She's not really mint though is she? Poor old girl. However that is entire up to you.

Well, strictly speaking the term "mint" means that it has never been touched.  So technically she is still mint... she's just not in good condition due to what I can only assume is poor storage.

Mint, means being in the best condition. Mint in package means the toy itself is just as it was new. She's flawed in the package. Its a 30 year old toy after all, and light colored plastic is rife with problems anyway.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:53:47 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 09:11:49 AM »
I think she looks good for a toy that's about to be 35
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »
I would be very disappointed in receiving her like that. I wouldn't decard but I would return her

Offline Carebearnmbr46

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 10:48:19 PM »
Did the seller mention she had condition issues?  If not, I'd definitely demand a refund.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 06:52:54 AM »
Personally I would leave her MOC, her bubble looks well attached to warrant removing her.

I would have a look at the auction again and reread the listing and look at the pictures, sometimes in the excitement of finding a grail it is easy to miss little details -_- On looking at the first picture, I would have been tempted to think it was the bubble that was yellowed not the pony :huh: but on seeing the other pictures she has suffered damage over the years, despite being on her card.

If you are truly not happy you would be better to either return if (if that is acceptable, please contact your seller) or keep her and sell her as she is.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 07:34:30 AM »
If you got her on eBay you could return has as "Not in advertised condition", or whatever.  The seller will have to accept it back and refund you because that's eBay's rules.

IMO there's not much point in decarding her.  It won't fix the discoloration (which I agree looks like sun damage), and it will be even harder to display the pony without the discoloration being noticeable.  There's no guarantee that decarding her will stop the age spots either.  Some ponies are just really prone to them.  I had a Sunbeam who was kept in the same environment as all my other ponies who developed age spots . . . I tried disinfecting the pony, keeping her aired out, keeping her out of humidity, boiled the parts of her I could boil without screwing up her glitter symbol . . . it didn't matter, she just kept getting more and more age spots.  None of the ponies standing next to her ever did!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 07:05:04 AM »
That pony has been circulating on eBay for a while.  The seller did mention that she is more of a cream color, but I feel that she minimized the extent of the damage.  From what I understand, she is one of the harder to find alt. BF ponies, but I would try to return her and wait patiently for another to come along.  Of course, I am partial to loose ponies.  Sorry this happened to you and I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide  :hug:
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal