collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Nightmare Nights Dallas 2017  (Read 314 times)

Offline lordalexander74

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
Nightmare Nights Dallas 2017
« on: October 31, 2017, 12:30:44 AM »
Just looking to share my experiences going to a smaller con. A different experience than Bronycon, the smaller venue allowed for more interactions with the same attendees, shorter lines at panels and  more opportunities for random events like con-goers gathering a group to work on a real life version of Buckball.

Kinda sad that this was the last Nightmare Nights, was a bittersweet experience, but that didn't stop everyone from enjoying their weekend. I tend to get worked up and melancholy during the days after conventions, especially if this year is the conventions last.

The following spoiler tag contains several moments that stuck with me as I attended my first and last Nightmare Night.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Got some pictures to share as well

Here's that guy playing Taps while con staff bows their heads

Me and M.A. Larson

The RIP Nightmare Nights shrine

I bought a Pear Butter plush from Kazzy's Plush Emporium. Too cute to resist
Wanted: mlparena.com/index.php?topic=364415

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Be kind and sparkly!
Re: Nightmare Nights Dallas 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 07:39:13 AM »
Looks like you all had a blast!  :frolic:
How wonderful that all that money was raised for charity - I am not surprised that you feel sad about it being the last one.
I am sure a new, different meet will be devised by someone to fill the gap left from this one  :) so try not to be sad!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lordalexander74

• Brush N Grow Pony
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 10:09:55 PM »
Oh there's still plenty of active MLP conventions around. I'm sure I'm not the only one suffering from post-con depression. Unfortunate that some cons are ending, but I've got plenty of happy memories to balance out the bittersweet ones.
The friend I stayed with to help with hotel costs, I only met him a couple times at various meetups. Now? I consider us best buddies.

Bronycon's an annual trip with my local group, and I'm still considering what other conventions to go to. They get pricey real fast when travelling alone. There's a cruise next year w/ Nicole Oliver as a special guest, goes from Vancouver to somewhere in Alaska. Bad news, a standard ticket costs a little over $1000 for one person. Good news, that covers room and board. A little pricey, and I'm not one for social interaction. I'll make a little small talk with guests at conventions, usually not more than that.

I'm also considering Everfree Northwest in Seattle or BABScon in San Fransisco. Haven't been to either city before, and I'm roughly budgeting $2500ish for one of those trips. There was talk of some others from my local brony group going to Everfree NW, but that kinda died down cause everyone's trying to recover financially after our Bronycon trip this year (We estimated spending over $10,000 in the vendor hall between everyone).

Offline zombienixon

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 11:31:11 PM »
I recognize your face from the pictures, I'm pretty sure I talked to you at some point on Sunday, when Larson and the others were at the bar.  I had no idea there'd be other people from the Arena there!

From what I can gather, the secret panel came about when Larson got trashed at the hotel bar and decided to have a panel with Lauren, Gillian, Andrea, Andrea's friend Nicole (not Nicole Oliver, sadly), and I think Jim Miller.  I got in when I heard applause from one of the panel rooms that was supposed to be empty.  It reminded me of the Hall of Chaos panels at Bronycon.  The panelists were drunk, I was drunk, and I wasn't the only one drinking straight out of a liquor bottle.

Some of the highlights (which can actually be told here)
- Andrea Libman does not like to do elephant noises, they apparently are difficult
-G.M. Berrow can move her eyes independently of one another
-Lauren Faust is double jointed
-Larson called Amy Keating Rogers to have her play a mildly lewd song on the ukelele. This apparently wasn't the first time.
-Ponies are three heads high ("THREE HEADS HIGH!" turned into a chant among people who were at the panel)

My personal experience, I wouldn't even know where to begin. In all, I'm glad I went. There were some pretty unforgettable experiences there.

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Oppa Lyra style
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 10:17:41 PM »
I recognize your face from the pictures, I'm pretty sure I talked to you at some point on Sunday, when Larson and the others were at the bar.  I had no idea there'd be other people from the Arena there!

From what I can gather, the secret panel came about when Larson got trashed at the hotel bar and decided to have a panel with Lauren, Gillian, Andrea, Andrea's friend Nicole (not Nicole Oliver, sadly), and I think Jim Miller.  I got in when I heard applause from one of the panel rooms that was supposed to be empty.  It reminded me of the Hall of Chaos panels at Bronycon.  The panelists were drunk, I was drunk, and I wasn't the only one drinking straight out of a liquor bottle.

Some of the highlights (which can actually be told here)
- Andrea Libman does not like to do elephant noises, they apparently are difficult
-G.M. Berrow can move her eyes independently of one another
-Lauren Faust is double jointed
-Larson called Amy Keating Rogers to have her play a mildly lewd song on the ukelele. This apparently wasn't the first time.
-Ponies are three heads high ("THREE HEADS HIGH!" turned into a chant among people who were at the panel)

My personal experience, I wouldn't even know where to begin. In all, I'm glad I went. There were some pretty unforgettable experiences there.

Sounds like the "A drink with Mitch and Foalpapers" panel. I went to the one in 2014 and yeah... It was a 21+ panel because they served alcohol for free to the audience, and for content (especially Amy's song) XD. It was hilarious though. Glad to hear you had a great time.

CanterlotKC will be back next year, and there may be a new Midwest Brony Fest too (while at CKC I found out what really did MWBF in.
Turns out it was the weather that Thursday night, and the airline cancelling the flight several of the VA's were on because of it, and then making the con cover rebooking the flights which cost 60 GRAND). They sold the MWBF name to someone in Detroit and the person is planning on starting a new one.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline lordalexander74

• Brush N Grow Pony
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 09:51:50 PM »
I'm planning on Everfree NW next year, I'm liking their hotel tier badges, very convenient.

Also Purple Tinker just sent me this pic she took of me and Lauren Faust

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 12:08:24 AM »
Why is this the last Nightmare Nights?  Curious...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Avatar:Vanilla Virus, Sig: Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder <3