collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Which twinkle-eyed ponies do you own?

Mimic
52 (4.8%)
Locket
71 (6.6%)
Bright Eyes
59 (5.5%)
Quackers
67 (6.2%)
Tic-Tac-Toe
66 (6.1%)
Speedy
70 (6.5%)
Sweet Pop
68 (6.3%)
Sky Rocket
69 (6.4%)
Sweet Stuff
76 (7.1%)
Galaxy
87 (8.1%)
Masquerade
83 (7.7%)
Fizzy
88 (8.2%)
Whizzer
79 (7.3%)
Gingerbread
74 (6.9%)
Party Time
68 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: November 04, 2017, 11:10:11 AM

Author Topic: Poll: Is Mimic really as rare as we think she is? *Update: Poll Results*  (Read 6240 times)

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Is Mimic really as rare as we think she is?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2017, 03:39:16 PM »
I have 7/15 but only have ever found multiple Fizzies or Galaxies (which is just fine because I adore both!)

If you want my opinion, I can’t say whether Mimic is actually that rare but it seems like the reason she goes for so much these days is because she’s made a name for herself as a ‘collector favorite’ of sorts. She’s certainly sought after, but I think people pay more for her name rather than for her rarity if that makes sense. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2017, 03:49:20 PM »
I have 7/15 but only have ever found multiple Fizzies or Galaxies (which is just fine because I adore both!)

If you want my opinion, I can’t say whether Mimic is actually that rare but it seems like the reason she goes for so much these days is because she’s made a name for herself as a ‘collector favorite’ of sorts. She’s certainly sought after, but I think people pay more for her name rather than for her rarity if that makes sense. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Right now, interestingly, she has got the lowest poll tally by 3 points.

I think you're right, though. She's become a status symbol. Unfortunately I think Munchy, Crumpet and Red Roses have gone in the same direction. As has Ice Crystal, who is NOT rarer than the other Mountain Boys, but IS more expensive as a rule. I have actually had fewer Quarterbacks than Ice Crystals over the years. In FACT...I am pretty sure my Q came from the US. So that would mean I've NEVER found him here, although when ponies were at carboot sales, I found six or seven Ice Crystals at least.

(Next poll, rarest adult boy pony? ;))
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »
I agree that Mimic is a status symbol also. I'm actually not a big Mimic fan   (gets ready to doge fakies)  :throw: as I think there are other ponies out there who are much prettier but when I got back in to ponies I quickly learned that if you had a Mimic she was considered one of the ultimate ponies in people's collection. A long time ago there was a poll or something saying what you would do if you found a Mimic at a garage sale.
thrift store etc.. and someone said they would rather trade Mimic for other ponies they liked more. There were a lot of comments about how could anyone not love Mimic/want to own Mimic because of her how highly "prized" she was. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2017, 04:12:59 PM »
Personally I think if someone doesn't like a pony it makes sense to trade it as someone else will want it and two people will end up happy. I don't understand wanting ponies or getting ponies because they are a status symbol or rare or whatever. I have always just gone for any and all ponies from G1 equally, really.

I have a special bond with my Mimic. She symbolises something for me that's quite special. My trade partner (who has since passed away, sadly, she was in her nineties when she died) sent me Mimic in trust in November 1997. I had never traded online with anyone. I was 15. She had absolutely no reason to trust me, BUT SHE DID. She sent Mimic on trust that I would return the favour in April when she came to visit family in England. Mimic lived with me for six months before I was able to keep that promise. Obviously, I did, but how many people would show that trust now, and with a pony like Mimic? She sent me other ponies too before that April meeting. Best Wishes came along with Mimic (for my sister, as it was around her birthday then) and then later Truly and Powder came as well. Then she sent me Baby Shady for my sweet 16th in February and two bushwoolies for Christmas (one for me, one for sister) all before we met in April.

I've never forgotten that trust. Or the day we were able to repay it and Mimic was then finally properly officially mine. But Mimic means that to me...so when people talk about her as sought after for status or value and such cold hard things it makes me sad.

If you don't like Mimic, then there's no reason to keep her in my view. But if you do want to keep her, then IMO it's really important that you have a reason that's more than just the fact people want her. Because honestly, having a pony other people want doesn't really make any difference to how important a collector you are or how great your collection is. The collection is only as good as how much you love it and are invested in it for your own pleasure...so yeah. It makes me sad she's a 'status symbol'. For me that's entirely the wrong way to look at any pony :/

I am really glad I didn't know much about Mimic's rarity when I got her. It means I've never had a $ value on her head and I never will.

Mimic celebrates 20 years with me next month ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2017, 04:41:17 PM »
I have all of them and have had extras of all except Mimic...only my childhood one.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2017, 06:02:51 PM »
I have them all in my collection and here are the duplicates I currently have in my sales bin:

Fizzy x 2
Sweet Stuff x 2
Masquerade
Speedy x 2
Sweet Pop
Quackers
Tic Tac Toe
Bright Eyes

It's possible that I missed one or two but I think that's it.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Shatyr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »
According to my inventory, I have:
2 - Fizzy
2 - Sweet Stuff
1 - Whizzer
1 - Masquerade
3 - Gingerbread
2 - Galazy
1 - Sweet Pop
2 - Speedy
2 - Sky Rocket
1 - Party Time
1 - Quackers
1 - Locket
1 - Mimic
1 - Tic-Tac-Toe
1 - Bright Eyes

Party Time's the only one where I know I'm the original owner. Everyone else came to me later in the collecting years. I always loved the Twinkle Eye ponies. I wish they'd made Twinkle Eye babies.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2017, 07:10:42 PM »
That's a wonderful story Taffeta. :) 

I have a special connection to my Ice Crystal. I won him in a contest a the Trading Post. I didn't think I would get picked to win so I was so surprised when other people started telling me I won. I had just started learning about Mountain Boys at the time. Ice Crystal will always have a special place among my ponies, not because of his status but how he came to live with me.

My Party Time has a terrible case of regrind. She has large hot pink patches all over her. Has anyone found a Party Time without regrind?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2017, 08:26:47 PM »
I like this poll; I've always wondered about Mimic's rarity myself.

Regardless of whether she's rare, I've always preferred her set-mates over her. Bright Eyes and Locket are two of my favorite ponies.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2017, 10:06:51 PM »
I wish Mimic wasn't worth as much as she is. Cause I do genuinely love her colors, it's a shame I'm most likely gonna have to save up money to get her. But I do really love her colors, she's such a pretty pony. There's something about brightly colored ponies I really like.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2017, 12:38:11 AM »
Has anyone found a Party Time without regrind?

More mythical than a MOC Mimic, alas.  :huh:

Even the ones that don't look like they have it to the naked eye usually show spots under blacklight.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline gullideth

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2017, 04:42:18 AM »
My grandma found my Mimic at a yard sale in a whole box of ponies for 2.00!   Even though I adore her, I prefer Bright Eyes and Galaxy and think they are the prettiest Twinkle eyes.

Offline Princess Fizzy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2017, 08:29:31 AM »
I'm only missing Bright Eyes, Locket &
As a kid I had Fizzy, Seedy & Tic-Tac-Toe. I wasn't able to find Mimic in the store, but I'm guessing she was popular since she was on the show.

As far as multiples I have...

4 Fizzy (1 loose common version, 1 loose Spanish lavender stripe, 2 MOC        on US cards, 1 of which is a reverse symbol)
1 Galaxy
1 Gingerbread
1 Masquerade
2 Sky Rocket
2 Seedy
1 Sweet Pop
1 Sweet Stuff
1 Whizzer (MOC)
2 Party Time (both have regrind)
1 Mimic
2 Tic-Tac-Toe

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
The only one I'm missing is Mimic and that is because of her price. I'd like to complete my set at some point but I don't want her bad enough to pay the high prices. I have other expensive ponies on my priority list.

I didn't have any Twinkle Eyes my childhood collection. They all came from Ebay or thrift stores.

I have 3 Party Times, 2 Whizzers, 2 Speedys and 2 Fizzys.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2017, 01:45:23 PM »
That's a lovely story, Taffeta!  :heart:

I do not own Mimic but, as a lover of green shades, have been intrigued by her colourings - so unusual! I am only aware of her due to this forum, as I never saw her for sale in the UK. I am not too fussed to own her, but of course, if one were to appear at a charity store, I would be STRAIGHT there!  :biggrin:

I must admit, though, that I find Galaxy and Fizzy as the prettiest TEPs; I have a couple of doubles of them as a result. My friend in the US recently sent over an adult Quackers (via a work trip) to me - the first time I have ever owned one! Quackers is not in the best condition and does have a few body marks but is still very pretty with decent hair/tail and has been paired with Baby Quackers  :heart: having my friend personally getting her to me makes her that little bit extra-special  :cool: 

I have been looking to own NightGlider, not because she is a status TAF pony but purely because she is such a pretty celestial themed pony, also Merriweather as her rainbows against purple colouring is just so cute! Grrr such a shame that these too are a bit harder to get  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal