collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Which twinkle-eyed ponies do you own?

Mimic
52 (4.8%)
Locket
71 (6.6%)
Bright Eyes
59 (5.5%)
Quackers
67 (6.2%)
Tic-Tac-Toe
66 (6.1%)
Speedy
70 (6.5%)
Sweet Pop
68 (6.3%)
Sky Rocket
69 (6.4%)
Sweet Stuff
76 (7.1%)
Galaxy
87 (8.1%)
Masquerade
83 (7.7%)
Fizzy
88 (8.2%)
Whizzer
79 (7.3%)
Gingerbread
74 (6.9%)
Party Time
68 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: November 04, 2017, 11:10:11 AM

Author Topic: Poll: Is Mimic really as rare as we think she is? *Update: Poll Results*  (Read 6209 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Poll: Is Mimic really as rare as we think she is?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »
Poll has a major flaw as it doesn't account for one person having / having had multiples of a given pony.

I've had, approximately:

1 Mimic  Purchased.  Only TE I had to buy and the last one I got.
4+ Locket
3 Bright Eyes
2 Quackers
2 Tic-Tac-Toe
5+ Speedy
2 Sweet Pop
~2 Sky Rocket
~4 Sweet Stuff
5+ Galaxy
5+ Masquerade
5+ Fizzy
8+ Whizzer  By far the most common TE for me.
~3 Gingerbread
~4 Party Time

I can't even begin to work out that much detail. All I can say is that in my house at the moment there are three or four Gingerbreads ;)

I do know I have had three Mimics ever in total. One is mine. One came from a carboot sale randomly in the nineties here, one came in a lot from the US.

I don't think I've ever had a double of Quackers. Bright Eyes I have one and sister does, so that makes 2, but no others.

Right now I also have two loose Masquerades.

If we're also adding MOC ponies into this, I have three Tic Tac Toes, three Whizzers and two Masquerades in my collection :/

It grows more complex...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 03:54:42 PM »
The only TE's I have NEVER had in my possession are Mimic and Quackers.  All the others, I've had at one time or another or even had multiples of them.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2017, 06:52:06 PM »
Poll has a major flaw as it doesn't account for one person having / having had multiples of a given pony.

I've had, approximately:

1 Mimic  Purchased.  Only TE I had to buy and the last one I got.
4+ Locket
3 Bright Eyes
2 Quackers
2 Tic-Tac-Toe
5+ Speedy
2 Sweet Pop
~2 Sky Rocket
~4 Sweet Stuff
5+ Galaxy
5+ Masquerade
5+ Fizzy
8+ Whizzer  By far the most common TE for me.
~3 Gingerbread
~4 Party Time

I can't even begin to work out that much detail. All I can say is that in my house at the moment there are three or four Gingerbreads ;)

I do know I have had three Mimics ever in total. One is mine. One came from a carboot sale randomly in the nineties here, one came in a lot from the US.

I don't think I've ever had a double of Quackers. Bright Eyes I have one and sister does, so that makes 2, but no others.

Right now I also have two loose Masquerades.

If we're also adding MOC ponies into this, I have three Tic Tac Toes, three Whizzers and two Masquerades in my collection :/

It grows more complex...
XD Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to poll those collectors who might have an army or just more than one of a certain twinkle-eyed pony, but I couldn't find a way. Maybe those who do own multiples can just add in the comments section if they currently have more than one of a certain pony; I'll edit the first post to suggest that!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 06:58:45 PM »
I'm not sure she's so much rare as not as easily available. People who get her tend to keep her, so fewer are on the market than many other ponies. Personally, I see far fewer Bright Eyes for sale than Mimics....though her price tends to reflect that as well.

Bright  Eyes is nowhere near as expensive as Mimic and I see her pop up way more.

Idk if she's rare or not, but she's certainly expensive and has become a collector status symbol, like the Mountain Boys and Ladybird.

I had Sweet Pop, Sweet Stuff,  Fizzy and Whizzer as a kid. As an adult, I have Fizzy, Whizzer, Galaxy, Sweet Pop and Masquerade.

I still need Locket, Speedy, Tic-tac-toe and Gingerbread.

My kid has, Masquerade, Sweet Stuff, Bright Eyes, a custom Baby Mimic and Whizzer. She wants Party Time, Locket and Sky Rocket too.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:03:06 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 10:30:41 PM »
I have Sweet Pop, Masquerade, Locket, Sweet Stuff, Bright Eyes, Galaxy, Fizzy & Speedy. I hope to add Tic Tac Toe and Sky Rocket.

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 02:44:28 AM »
Two Sweetstuffs here. Also two Galaxys (one is Spanish; not sure if you are counting foreign variants). Oh, and two Masquerades.

And one each of Locket, Quackers, Tic-Tac-Toe, Fizzy, Speedy, Whizzer and Gingerbread.

I have never even seen Mimic in real life, and had been collecting ponies for quite a while before I heard of her, which I put down to living in England. She's not really a pony I want. She's nice and everything, but I can't justify the price, and, really, there are other Twinkle Eye ponies I like more (Sweetstuff is my favourite). The one that I paid the most for and had to hunt for a while to find was Quackers.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 03:10:24 AM »
I think I only saw one Mimic at Ponycon this year and she had a haircut. To put in context there were 2 Rapunzels there.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 07:44:35 AM »
I think it's mostly a case of "supply and demand" or whatever you'd call it. She's popular and it's ingrained into collectors' minds that Mimic is very rare and hard to get, so generally people hang onto her if they get her (instead of selling her on), and she tends to go for a lot of money when she does pop up. Etc, etc. Like Taffeta said, the damage has been done unfortunately :(

Why she's so popular in the first place, I dunno. I see a lot of people say it was because of the "Golden Horseshoes" ep, but is that really true? She's hardly the only pony that only showed up in one episode, after all - i.e. Scoops was only in "The Ice Cream Wars", but you don't see her going for mega prices (at least not as far as I'm aware..?). Hmm. I suppose Mimic would technically be rarer than the first set of TEs to begin with (as would the rest of her set-mates), in the sense that.. she was sold in less countries so perhaps there's less of her existing to begin with, if that makes sense? But I'm not sure how she became this desirable in the first place :/

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 08:02:08 AM »
My thoughts are she is neither rare nor uncommon she is just too expensive.  LOL  She is always on ebay if you got the cash. :lol:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:03:41 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 10:14:34 AM »
Mimic is uncommon, just like her set-mates that were North American exclusives and part of the last Twinkle-Eyed set released. She's not any rarer than Bright Eyes, Quackers, etc.  The UK got Tic Tac Toe, Locket, Speedy, Sky Rocket, Fizzy and Sweetie (Sweet Stuff to NA).  Her price stems from low supply + high popularity / perceived value.

Almost all second/third sets of a given type of pony are rarer than the first release, likely due to fewer stores ordering them if they still had remaining stock.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 12:12:50 PM »
I do not have Mimic yet, but would like to have her as a set completer for the TE ponies. However there are ponies from that set that I would prefer to get before her such as Bright Eyes, who I think it a much prettier pony. So for me I don't think that Mimic is rare as such, more like she had a darned good PR team.

Also, there are other more 'common' TE ponies that one sees all the time but who are however hard to get in good condition. Like Gingerbread for example. She comes up often in lots, but is usually flawed. I would say then that Bright Eyes and good condition Quackers, Gingerbread, Party Time and Sweet Stuff are actually more rare that Mimic in my own most humble opinion.

My list of ponies, as requested:

3 Whizzer (1 minty, 2 bait)
1 Sweet Pop (good condition)
1 Sweet Stuff (discoloured - regrind / highlighter marks)
1 Party Time (discoloured - regrind)
1 Gingerbread (very good condition)
1 Galaxy (fair condition)

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »
Of that list, Bright Eyes is the only one I'm missing. If I recall correctly, Mimic was one of the last ones I got. She's a pretty one, and I like the colours of her hair, but I don't think I would have bought her for the price she tends to go for. I've got her because she was part of a friend's childhood collection, which they kindly decided to give to me. :)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2017, 01:23:01 PM »
I have two Gingerbreads and two Sweetstuffs.

I don't know how rare Mimic really was, but as a kid, I lived close enough to walk to a store that stocked MLP and I went almost every day.  I had saved money to buy her, but even though other Twinkle-eyes showed up, I never saw her.  I probably just missed her because of that episode.   Every kid wanted her, even the ones who didn't normally put a pony on their wish list.

I still want her, but not at those prices.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2017, 02:12:54 PM »
This is an incredible poll, I've always wondered this but never been brainy enough to figure out a way of checking! Thank you Haruna :)

I have all the TEs. I have a bit of a TE army - they are by far my favourite set of ponies :lovey: But, I only have one Mimic, one Bright Eyes and one Quackers. However seeing as they weren't released in the UK that's not particularly suprising. Quackers and BE were far more difficult for me to get hold of than Mimic. Mimic is one of my fave ponies from the set so when I saw her come up for sale here for a very good price and near to my birthday, I spent out on her.

I don't know how true this is but I heard in the 90s a couple of people who really, really wanted a minty Mimic became embroiled in a bidding war on eBay, knocking her price way up, and from then this and her status as an uncommon (I really don't think she is rare) pony has hiked her price up. But it's supply and demand - if she was easier to get then she would be cheaper. I have never seen anyone in a bidding war over Peachy!

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2017, 03:03:47 PM »

I don't know how true this is but I heard in the 90s a couple of people who really, really wanted a minty Mimic became embroiled in a bidding war on eBay, knocking her price way up, and from then this and her status as an uncommon (I really don't think she is rare) pony has hiked her price up.

I don't personally go with this story. I remember that the first baby Applejack on ebay had a bidding war over her and her price went to $300 but she's not a $300 pony now, even though, like Mimic, she wasn't sold in all countries (in fact, there are probably fewer of her around, given the target markets). I don't know what caused it but I doubt one bidding war did.

I would not be surprised if the original interest in her did come from the show as many of the people collecting in the early days were young people coming out of growing up with MLP and had probably seen the episodes. But then when the international market opened up, I guess it got bigger. I think it was a gradual process over a long time and because basically she comes from the US market (ie the original market online), there's never been a time when the supply increased from what it already was. The demand has, because of all of us, but not the supply. And so here we are.

I also think there was a lot of damage done by the idiocy around the Church of the MOC Mimic and people trying to create this aura of something that they didn't believe existed. Of course, MOC Mimic does exist, and multiple examples of her, but by making her out to be some pinnacle pony in MOC form, it probably added to the hype. I don't think it caused it, but it did keep people's attention on Mimic. I can list a lot of ponies for whom there exist only one or no known MOC ponies - I don't know if most of those would meet the price of a MOC Mimic (perhaps the Mountain Boys would).

Going back to distribution, Baby Sugarberry is right about our 2nd year set (we had the same set in the first year as the US). We didn't get Sweet Pop and we didn't get Quackers, BE or Mimic, (or Party Time in the set as we had Tutti Frutti) so those ponies are automatically harder to get here. European second set for the most part (at least France and Germany I can confirm) were the same as in the UK (although they're on a different card and there is the pale Speedy instead of the darker one - we had the same as the US Speedy).

BUT Mimic and her fellows were apparently sold in Italy. There's significant advertising to suggest it. So she did get to Europe in some capacity. So was the rest of her set in full.

I would say that in terms of distribution that ought to make Sweet Pop or Party Time the most limited in terms of where they were sold. I don't think either of those got to Europe at all.

Just to make it more complex.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal