collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toys-r-us in CHAPTER 11 ??  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Toys-r-us in CHAPTER 11 ??
« on: October 27, 2017, 02:17:33 PM »
Toysrus just filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy to clear its enormous debts. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/18/toys-r-us-files-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy.html

I guess the Big Box toy industry isn't what it used to be?[

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
Re: Toys-r-us in CHAPTER 11 ??
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 03:32:57 PM »
This happened back in September and wasn't even remotely surprising, the toys there are incredibly overpriced.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:31:22 PM »
It pretty sad, times sure have changed the last 10 years or so! :(

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 06:06:46 PM »
At least they aren't closing down! The bankruptcy was blamed on children looking towards buying electronics like iPads or video game consoles for their entertainment. Think about the hip toys of the past years: Hatchimals, Hoverboards, ZhuZhu Pets...they're all toys with tech stuff. Toys R Us still has a lot of the basic toys, and their electronic department is pretty small. I think they're going to try to tap into the mobile market somehow.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 09:09:26 PM »
Oh yeah, I heard about that. I call bs, about kids only wanting hi-tech stuff, because I go in there often enough to see kids playing with, getting and begging for regular toys too.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 05:44:05 AM »
Oh yeah, I heard about that. I call bs, about kids only wanting hi-tech stuff, because I go in there often enough to see kids playing with, getting and begging for regular toys too.

I heard it was more that their weak online store was a significant factor (and maybe also poor in-store stock quantities?). Makes sense, a lot of people buy online these days and if your online store isn't up to scratch you'll be losing a lot of potential sales.

I find that kind of funny too though, because their US online store is astronomically better than their AUS online store... most Aussie stores have really poor online stores, it's really frustrating
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 06:44:30 AM »
I heard it was more that their weak online store was a significant factor (and maybe also poor in-store stock quantities?). Makes sense, a lot of people buy online these days and if your online store isn't up to scratch you'll be losing a lot of potential sales.

I find that kind of funny too though, because their US online store is astronomically better than their AUS online store... most Aussie stores have really poor online stores, it's really frustrating
Target has the same problem, so they're just revamping current stores and so far, it is working to get customers in the door.
TRU's site is...strange. They show all of the out of stock things mixed in with what is in stock, just grey out the image. It also feels slow and clunky compared to Amazon, but that's a problem that most big box retailers have with their sites.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 07:47:07 AM »

Yeah, the online store isn't very good in the states either. Not to mention their lousy phone and online customer service and the fact that their toys are more expensive then their competitors.. They better rethink their practices, or they'll go the way of poor KB Toys.  I do like TrU and I don't wanna see them go.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 08:48:24 AM »
So here in the UK there was much excitement when TRU opened stores here, many years ago. We had the adverts with the giraffe and yes, it was magical to walk into a huge shop FULL of nothing but toys!

However, over the years, it would not be my first choice for toy shopping. Why?

Stock - going there to get something specific - that doesn't appear on the shelves, even after checking online first.
No shop-floor staff to help ypu.
Staff not knowing their stock / where to find stuff and wasting your time after asking a chain of people behind the scenes.
Shabby looking stores.
Prices not as great a bargain as one would hope from a firm with large buying-power could pass on.

Where I live, there was an Argos next door to TRU - it was easier and quicker to pop in there + get just what I wanted, often, there would be some money-off deal, too. 

Our TRU has, as of this month, moved to a brand new site. I checked it out last week, much more pleasant inside, but still a lack of certain toys, high prices + no floor staff to help answer queries (just one new girl sat at the checkout).

They are now a 5 minute drive away from a Smyths - which has become my go-to store before searching online + doing Amazon.  At least in Smyths the staff seem more keen to help you and I would rather buy in-person than online as I can see the toys beforehand and not worry about lost deliveries.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 03:22:43 PM »
I am gonna see where this goes, the last one within two hours of me closed many years ago, nearest is over six hours now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal