collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need advice on a pony buying situation!  (Read 846 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Need advice on a pony buying situation!
« on: October 20, 2017, 05:14:33 PM »
So recently I discovered that I had just missed seeing a listing on Craigslist for a local estate sale that listed several collectible toys including "vintage my little pony"  :cry:  nooooo!

But I tried contacting the person who made the listing and after a week have finally heard back from them.  So turns out they do have 8-9 ponies left but no pictures yet because they just moved and everything is packed up in boxes still.  So I don't know for certain if they are official mlp but some of the other things listed that she has makes me think that it's likely they are.  She also has original cabbage patch kids, Barbie, Ken clothes, and vintage Disney records.

I've been texting back and forth about the ponies (for me) and the cabbage patch kids (for a friend).  i asked for a ballpark estimate on what she was hoping to get.  I was hoping to get an per item reply but she quoted a sum total instead. $124 for 10 vintage cabbage patch kids w/ certificates "some" have original clothes plus the 8-9 ponies.

I have never been interested in cabbage patch kids even when I was a kid so I'm a little wary cause I don't know how much they are generally worth or how to tell an original from a fake.  She also says she has outfits for "Coates carriers and all that kind of accessories."  I don't even know what that means.

Thoughts? 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:16:06 PM by Sunset »

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Need advice on a pony buying situation!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »
Hmm, perhaps ask her if photos are possible so you can see if the ponies are legit, and text the Cabbage Patch pictures to your friend (or maybe post them someplace here if anyone here knows) to find out if those are real too.

If everything is real and not fakies, $124 for 18 or 19 old toys altogether doesn't sound too bad.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 06:10:55 PM »
I've asked for pics so I guess there's nothing to be done but wait till she is able to send me some. 

Aarg, if only I hadn't missed that sale when I could have gone to see them in person.  I've had the worst luck lately.  Today I saw a posting on Facebook for a bag of g1 ponies being sold for $5 within driving distance of me.  I contacted the seller within 4 hours of her posting it but someone still beat me to it!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 01:18:18 AM »
Arrgh how annoying that you missed such a local sale!
I get that with my "bootsale fever" - it's the wondering at what goodies have been missed...
all I can suggest is patience until she sends you the photos  :)

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »
I just saw a thing on facebook with what looked like original clothes. The seller was asking $20. However, I just sold two well-loved ones for $10 total.
I don't know if this helps, but figured I could at least add a little information.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 07:55:28 PM »
I just saw a thing on facebook with what looked like original clothes. The seller was asking $20. However, I just sold two well-loved ones for $10 total.
I don't know if this helps, but figured I could at least add a little information.

That's helpful, I really appreciate it!  :)

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 06:04:22 AM »
I resell Cabbage Patch when I find them cheap enough.  I have a problem leaving vintage toys behind!  If they are in good shape with original clothes, I usually get $10-15 for them.  So, with what little info you have, I'd say her price isn't a stellar deal but it isn't too out of line with my experience.

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 06:35:53 PM »
I finally got pics of the ponies today.  It was a bunch of commons and a baby princess Sparkle.  They are all in rough condition with several missing tails.  There was a cute bag though.  Unfortunately they had gone online and pulled prices from the first listings on eBay ($115 for baby sparkle, $15 for baby blossom.).   They said that was what they did but that they would make me a deal.  I feel like they only did that because I was so interested.  I'm certain they weren't asking those kinds of prices at the estate sale.

I explained about how just because something was listed for a certain price that doesn't mean that the item would actually sell.

I ended up offering $30 for the whole lot.  I realize that may be low balling baby sparkle, even with a hair cut and faded hair, but I don't want her all that badly and I've become tight on finances lately.  If they accept, then great!  If they want more, I think I'm ok not getting these ponies.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 07:52:54 AM »
Good for you setting a fair price - they can either say yes or no!
If they say "no", at least you know that the rest of the ponies are common ones in not such great condition, so have not missed out on anything super-special.  :)

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 05:58:42 PM »
Yeah, my least favorite feeling is that "what did I pass up?" feeling. Knowing what is there makes it easier to say no!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal