collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: eBay seller asking for more money after auction  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Princess Fizzy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
eBay seller asking for more money after auction
« on: October 19, 2017, 08:59:03 AM »
I recently won an eBay auction from an international seller. The listing said they ship worldwide so I figured it was ok for me to bid. After the auction was over I paid for my item. The next day I received a message from the seller telling me I needed to send an additional 10euros to there email address because of shipping costs.

I've been occasionally selling on eBay for a while & it has always been my understanding that it's against eBay's policy to ask for a buyer to pay more than is posted in the listing. Asking me to pay them outside of eBay is also a violation. In the past if I didn't calculate my shipping right I never assumed the buyer had to pay for my error. Also, when I'm looking to bid on things I usually take the shipping cost into account of what I'm willing to pay.

Am I just blowing this out of proportion? I've never had someone ask me to pay more & it just seems odd to me.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: eBay seller asking for more money after auction
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 11:46:48 AM »
It does seem a bit fishy.  Can you contact Ebay Customer Service and ask about it?

Offline LittleKirara

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Professional Weasel Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 12:24:42 PM »
Yep its completely against the rules to ask for more money. Its the sellers responsibility to have shipping figured out and if they get it wrong thats their problem not yours. I would message them back telling them that and they either need to send your order or refund you. If they refuse to do either then open a case against them.
   :heart:.:AQHA For Life:.:heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 01:20:49 PM »
Yep its completely against the rules to ask for more money. Its the sellers responsibility to have shipping figured out and if they get it wrong thats their problem not yours. I would message them back telling them that and they either need to send your order or refund you. If they refuse to do either then open a case against them.

This. Unfortunately, some sellers will do this thinking it's OK, but it's not.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 02:56:36 PM »
As a seller sometimes, I had this happen to me recently... Ebay miscalculated the shipping, despite me measuring and weighing, and then entering it all into the listing. I had to pay an extra $7, which was half my profit on the listing. But it wasn't the buyer's fault, so I ate that cost. Sure, I'm annoyed, but it's not the buyer's fault. You either cancel the listing and then re-list correctly if you can't afford to eat the cost, or you pay it and ship! NEVER ask the buyer to pay extra, it's an extremely poor practice!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 08:51:24 AM »
Another vote for this, this is what you should do. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 10:50:22 AM »
From a seller's perspective I think we have all made a mistake in our shipping one time or another.  In my particular case I had an international sale with an item that I thought would qualify for first class so I charged $13.50.  However, after packaged I quickly realized it would going to be over the weight limit and cost $25.  My mistake totally. 

I explained that to the buyer, who really wanted the item, and she paid the difference in shipping as well.  So yes, I was very lucky to have an understanding buyer, and yes, I'm sure I broke some sort of rule or regulation, but in the end everything worked out because I communicated the problem to my buyer.  She understood there was no way I could ship that item for under $25 and that I wasn't ripping her off -- just trying to cover my costs.  Buyer got her item at a fair price and fair shipping, I made a little bit of profit, and we all lived happily ever after, lol.

Having said that though, if a seller came to me and asked for more shipping, but I knew the shipping I had already paid was sufficient to ship the item, I would not send more money.  I can't stand when sellers clearly overcharge for shipping!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »
If ebay made the mistake, Stormness, I would take it up with them. They ought to be reimbursing you that amount as it was their error.

Regarding sellers. I've eaten postage costs before when the post office calculator has failed or I have not realised about a price hike or whatever. In one case I put in the listing that I would need to check shipping costs at the post office for a particularly awkward heavy item if it was international. I did and the buyer got angry with the cost but I hadn't asked them to pay more than the original listing and they did eventually accept the price when they received it and realised that fact.

But if I list a postage cost and it's wrong, it's my bad. If it's too high, I refund. Basically I never make a profit on shipping, and I have made a loss before on items that sold for less than the deficit. I don't think that it's right to make the buyer pay extra for a seller's mistake. As a buyer, I would hate it. As a seller, I wouldn't do it. Just how it feels to me.

I also personally don't think the seller should be allowed to refund an item because they don't want to pay the shipping cost they quoted in the auction as easily as they can. It just seems...sad to me for the buyer who has done nothing wrong and it's something that especially happens to people (wherever they are) trying to buy from abroad, which usually entails trying to obtain something not easy to obtain at home. It's bad enough dealign with that and with custom charges without being told that the careful calculations we've made based on price, listed shipping cost and potential fees is now going to rise unexpectedly because a seller didn't get the figures right.

I think sometimes people don't realise that there are other implications for buyers in countries with custom charges when sellers start adding on extra costs after the auction :/ Shipping costs are factored into custom charges and it might make a previously affordable item less affordable. It's really important that sellers only charge what they list, so that buyers can be confident of calculating all possible additional charges they might face.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:57:45 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal