collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: eBay - Free Shipping, Returns, and You.  (Read 967 times)

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
eBay - Free Shipping, Returns, and You.
« on: October 16, 2017, 12:17:40 PM »
I sold an item on eBay recently that I offered free shipping on, and the buyer is now saying that received the wrong item (which they didn't because I only had 1 to sell).  If they decide to return it am I responsible to cover free shipping back?  Or how does that work?  Advice?

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: eBay - Free Shipping, Returns, and You.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »
No, that is their expense.  Ebay would require them to ship it back to you in order to qualify for a refund.  You can pay for their shipping if you want by creating a pre paid label for them on ebay that they can print out and put on the package. I just feel that if you only had one item to sell and they saw it and are claiming its the wrong thing, they probably don't want it and have regrets buying it.  Its just a suspicion of mine.  I would not be inclined to pay shipping back on that because, that just makes no sense.  If you had photos and they got the item you had in the photos what else could be the issue?  I smell a rat.  It is important to have in your auction what your return policy is and if it isn't there at least send a nice note explaining your return policy clearly.  If they get upset and open a case you still would only have to refund their original paypal payment after they return the item. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 01:46:51 PM by tulagirl »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 03:49:14 PM »
No, that is their expense.  Ebay would require them to ship it back to you in order to qualify for a refund.  You can pay for their shipping if you want by creating a pre paid label for them on ebay that they can print out and put on the package. I just feel that if you only had one item to sell and they saw it and are claiming its the wrong thing, they probably don't want it and have regrets buying it.  Its just a suspicion of mine.  I would not be inclined to pay shipping back on that because, that just makes no sense.  If you had photos and they got the item you had in the photos what else could be the issue?  I smell a rat.  It is important to have in your auction what your return policy is and if it isn't there at least send a nice note explaining your return policy clearly.  If they get upset and open a case you still would only have to refund their original paypal payment after they return the item. 

Thanks Tula,
My thoughts pretty much match what you said.  The item they bought was a winter coat and I'm guessing it didn't fit or something.  I'll accept the return if they want to mail it back at their expense, but it just seems odd they would say I shipped the wrong coat.  I only had one it's highly unlikely I shipped another random coat from my closet, lol.  I asked which coat they received and they have not answered yet.  Just a strange situation, but glad to know I am off the hook for return shipping cost in this situation.

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »
I would definitive request a picture of the item they said they received.

Sorry you have to deal with this it's never fun.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 04:39:55 PM »
Unfortunately, eBay requires that sellers allow returns even if they state that they have a no return policy. But as was stated above, I would request of your buyer to send photos of the item so you can document the return so eBay can also see that this buyer is putting you out. That way you can get your fees back and they can take appropriate action. And please do share with us this buyer's eBay name when everything is said and done so I can add them to my block list.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »
Yeah you have to accept returns, or just refund and let them keep the item, unfortunately. It's a terrible policy, and gives the buyer so much more power. I've never processed a return, luckily. If you only have one listing, I'm guessing the same as you, it's probably a fit issue, and they just don't want it. As others have said, ask for photos, then accept the return, and process a refund once the item is in your hands. Sometimes videoing the opening of the package, showing the tracking or article number of the parcel is your only defense that you received the wrong item if they send something else back as a substitute! It has happened, so be wary. I've heard of sellers selling electronics, then getting the buyer's old broken one back in the mail as a return, and because the tracking showed the item was sent back, the buyer is refunded, and the seller is out $$ and item. Just be careful, and document every step of the process!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 07:52:53 PM »
Well, I asked which coat she received and haven't got a message back yet so I'm not really sure what to think.  But oh well.  If the buyer pops back up ad wants to return that's fine and I will make it right, but for now I have plenty of other sales to worry about.  The road to 1k active listings is slightly uphill!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal