collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ebay & Identity Theft  (Read 2439 times)

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Ebay & Identity Theft
« on: October 15, 2017, 12:51:41 PM »
Today I logged onto my computer to find that someone in another state hacked into my Ebay account and made 3 fraudulent purchases using my Paypal account.

I have reported the activity to Ebay & Paypal, changed my passwords for both, changed my security questions, and changed my email password. I'm about to change my banking password too. Paypal is investigating the matter and said it should take 7-10 days. Total money stolen via Paypal is ~$100. Should I notify the sellers? Neither company mentioned doing so.

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay & Identity Theft
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 07:21:52 PM »
Urgh how infuriating!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 07:52:48 PM »
I've had the same thing last week, purchase was only 20 EUR. I informed the seller who said he had already been informed by eBay that it was fraudulent. I got the money back but somehow ended up with a negative PayPal balance, which I ask them to investigate.
It's so annoying and I'm even thinking about closing both of these accounts.
Thing is, it's been over a year since I was active in either one of them.

Offline northstar3184

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 08:32:20 PM »
I logged into my PayPal account and see with the three opened cases for the 3 fraudulent purchases, PayPal has apparently already contacted the sellers because the status of two of the cases say they are awaiting a response from the sellers. The other case says it's under investigation.

The weird thing is what this person bought: two hats and a backpack! I mean, seriously? Granted the backpack and one of the hats are by Calvin Klein, but just such a random set of purchases to make after stealing a person's identity.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:43:29 PM »
The weird thing is what this person bought: two hats and a backpack! I mean, seriously? Granted the backpack and one of the hats are by Calvin Klein, but just such a random set of purchases to make after stealing a person's identity.

How very strange!  :blink:

Offline northstar3184

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 12:35:42 AM »
Okay, so I just googled the address the scammer wanted the items shipped to and there's a whole list of links that come up in Yahoo about the address being used over the last couple years with a whole assortment of different identities to commit fraud. They've stolen account info from people on both Amazon and Ebay and made all kind of purchases: computers, designer handbags, sporting goods, etc.... It's definitely something I feel others should be aware of, but I know we're not supposed to post private info on here. However, the only piece of info I have is an address.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 12:15:27 PM »
I have a question did you link up your paypal to your ebay account to make it easier to check out and pay with just a click of a button?  I am really worried about doing that.  I am concerned it could cause me a problem with a hacker because, then they don't need my paypal password to pay anymore.  I try to change my password and my email for ebay about every 6 months.  I would change your email if you can. I know its a pain because you will have to change it with paypal also to link your paypal with ebay in case you sell, but just changing passwords may not be enough?  I am so sorry this has happened. I am checking my account daily just to be sure this doesn't happen to me.  It is going to be a real problem for all of us with this technology.  Also, do you use your smart phone with ebay?  I had someone tell me never to use my phone to ebay or paypal.  So, I have not.  Apparently, this just puts you at risk.  Super big hugs.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:19:19 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline northstar3184

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 06:30:45 PM »
I have a question did you link up your paypal to your ebay account to make it easier to check out and pay with just a click of a button?  I am really worried about doing that.  I am concerned it could cause me a problem with a hacker because, then they don't need my paypal password to pay anymore.  I try to change my password and my email for ebay about every 6 months.  I would change your email if you can. I know its a pain because you will have to change it with paypal also to link your paypal with ebay in case you sell, but just changing passwords may not be enough?  I am so sorry this has happened. I am checking my account daily just to be sure this doesn't happen to me.  It is going to be a real problem for all of us with this technology.  Also, do you use your smart phone with ebay?  I had someone tell me never to use my phone to ebay or paypal.  So, I have not.  Apparently, this just puts you at risk.  Super big hugs.

I did have my Paypal account linked up to my Ebay account, yes. As far as using a smart phone, no I don't have one.

Offline northstar3184

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 07:42:16 PM »
Update: One seller cancelled the transaction. The other two sellers, despite PayPal opening a dispute on my behalf two days ago, have gone ahead and shipped the items to the thief's address today. I plan to file a police report tomorrow. The PayPal cases are all still under investigation, but there's a pending refund from the one seller who cancelled the transaction.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 12:41:07 AM »
Why would they ship them? That's so stupid. Are they not paying attention or something?

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline northstar3184

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 02:55:47 PM »
Why would they ship them? That's so stupid. Are they not paying attention or something?

Both sellers claim they never received any notification from Ebay or PayPal, which is funny because both open cases have been shown in my PayPal account since I'd reported the theft on Sunday. Since Sunday, both cases have had the status of "Waiting for response from seller."

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 04:04:53 PM »
How did he managed to get the password? I also don´t how easy is to pay using pp, it doesn´t ask for password anymore. I think someone tried to log into my account, I´ve received an email with: having trouble log in into ebay?

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 04:49:27 PM »

Both sellers claim they never received any notification from Ebay or PayPal, which is funny because both open cases have been shown in my PayPal account since I'd reported the theft on Sunday. Since Sunday, both cases have had the status of "Waiting for response from seller."

Well, maybe they just didn't get the notice.  I have found that I don't get all my notices from paypal.  Sometimes I don't even get emails from people in the family.  For whatever reason emails don't always go through.  They may be telling the truth and the only way they would have known was to log into paypal and check their account status. I do that often just for security, but a lot of people don't do that.

How did he managed to get the password? I also don´t how easy is to pay using pp, it doesn´t ask for password anymore. I think someone tried to log into my account, I´ve received an email with: having trouble log in into ebay?

I was told that hackers get this information from the device you are using to access the internet.  They can hack into your computer, your phone whatever they want.  It is quite easy I have heard.  In fact on tv once they showed how fast a hacker was able to hack into this reporter's I phone and watch him using the camera.  So, changing passwords often is a good idea, I also have some software the scrambles what I type.  Sometimes they don't even have to hack if a password is weak enough they can guess it.  People are amazing and it is sad they don't use their intellect for more good and useful means.  Another way this happens is by responding to links in spoof emails that take you to paypal and you basically give the hacker your password thinking the email is from paypal or ebay when its not.  Always log into ebay and paypal directly and never through an email link.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:54:37 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline northstar3184

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 06:43:14 PM »

Well, maybe they just didn't get the notice.  I have found that I don't get all my notices from paypal.  Sometimes I don't even get emails from people in the family.  For whatever reason emails don't always go through.  They may be telling the truth and the only way they would have known was to log into paypal and check their account status. I do that often just for security, but a lot of people don't do that.

Good point.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 02:20:47 AM »
Oh. I was thinking it would have shown up in eBay, like the alert thingy in the corner. Maybe not.

I don't sell stuff so I don't know :blush: It just seemed weird that the sellers wouldn't be on top of their transactions.

I've known two people who had fraudulent activity with credit card # stolen. A friend was alerted by his bank when someone tried to buy a boat. And just a few months ago my mom was contacted that someone was making small purchases in another state. They bought stuff like movie tickets and fast food. We figured it was a kid. This stuff happens a lot :huh:

But anyway, I hope you can get it resolved soon.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal