collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How and when do poses get named?  (Read 763 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
How and when do poses get named?
« on: October 13, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »
By who? And when does it become widely accepted by the community?  And if at least two ponies come out in the same pose at the same time, how is it decided which one gets the honor of being the representative of that pose?

For example, I've been calling one of the baby merpony poses, the Baby Lily Drop Pose. She was the first of them to catch my eye and the first four that we got here. But with Europe and Australia getting the other four first, then it could just as easily be the Baby Crystal Pearl Pose.

Plus, long-time fan though I am, I've only been in the community a few years. So am I even allowed to name a pose?  :lol:

So interested to hear the answers of long-time members. :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:53:16 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How and when do poses get named?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 09:25:57 AM »
I've seen the same pose called different names depending on which pony that particular person is most familiar with.  Some poses get names that are descriptive  of that pose like the "looking up" pose in g1 or the "donkey" pose in G3.  But there is no rhyme or reason outside of the first pony to have it.  Just whatever the majority of people will immediately recognize what you are talking about.

I think G3 required more descriptive names since many characters were released multiple times in different poses where as in g1 most ponies where only ever released once.  We haven't had to worry too much in G4 up till recently because there were really only 2 brushable poses.  Guess that will change now that we have multiple poses.

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 01:36:50 PM »
idk but my faverate name is the brokem neck pose
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 06:10:03 AM »
I don't remember when it began, with the poses, and I am not sure it is always consistent (for example some people say Gingerbread pose, sometimes Shady pose, etc). And things like shy pose just kind of evolved because of the way the pony looks.

I am a geek as you guys all know, but I have a notebook from 1998ish where I wrote in all the ponies we knew about then (it's quite a lot, but not so many Nirvana) and in the back I have a whole list of poses catalogued by letter and number (eg the collector pose was E1 - Earth Pony 1) and so on. And all the entries in my book have a pose code like that after them. Why? Because at the time we were still getting UK ponies out into the online community and a LOT of what we were dealing with lacked images. We had scans of inserts, sometimes awkward ponies shoved in the scanner but mostly photos had to be developed and scanned and that took time and money. A lot of early inserts are not photos, and a lot of early UK inserts don't show the right poses anyway. So I did this when I was figuring out the ponies we had in different poses, eg Confetti, the Baby Sea Ponies and so on and so forth.

Some people can't see poses, though. So I think although that was useful for me then and I still have it in my book, it would have been very complex to have a system like that universally. If you say shy pose, you can sort of see it. Walking pose as well. But numbers and letters not so much, so I never tried to put it online. I think it all just evolved naturally over time as we referred to a pony by another pony, but I think it began largely because of pose differences between different country releases. I think it only began to matter then, because otherwise you just needed to know the pony's name to know what was being discussed.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »
Interesting answers so far you guys! :) 
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »
When I got in to collecting ponies as adult I thought it was either the first pony to have that pose(Baby Ember pose) or the most popular pony  that shared that pose with other ponies (Firefly/Glory pose) but that still leaves a little bit of a question when ponies are released at the same time. I like terms like Shy Pose or Shy Pose Pegasus and Sitting Pose because it’s easy to know what mold/pose you are referring to. I’m also okay with using pony names for poses.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 01:45:49 PM »
When I refer to a pose, I just use the first pony to come to mind, unless it has an otherwise widely known, distinctive and acceptable name, like 'collector', or 'sitting'.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal