collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: HELP! Questions on cleaning Brazil Ponies Please :)  (Read 3762 times)

Offline KittyPinkDreams

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
HELP! Questions on cleaning Brazil Ponies Please :)
« on: October 11, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »
I have some questions on on cleaning these gals:

- Can they be cleaned with Oxi Clean?
- Does giving them a bath in Hydrogen Proxide safe?
- Are magic erasers ok to use on them?

I don't want to do something to damage these poor gals.

Here is a link to the photos of them before Spa Day:

https://www.facebook.com/jes.pinkdreams.9/media_set?set=a.124954168210446.1073741830.100020875899998&type=3

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Questions on cleaning Brazil Ponies Please :)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 05:03:14 PM »
Magic Eraser should be fine; just don't scrub eyes or symbols.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 06:35:22 AM »
Your link isn't working.

I'd avoid Oxi Clean and Hydrogen Peroxide. I use Magic Eraser on all of my ponies, avoiding the painted bits of course.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 12:23:16 PM »
The link doesn't work for me, but Facebook isn't m friend :lol:

I don't use any of those cleaning products you've mentioned. I personally use dish washing liquid and a tooth brush :) I will use a diluted bleach solution to clean out internal mould.

The Brazil hair is very fragile and harsh chemicals, soaking and even sunfading will damage it beyond repair -_-

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 12:50:41 PM »
Magic eraser is fine, just don't scrub over any paint.  Be especially careful with the hair. 

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 07:36:44 AM »
Magic eraser is fine, just don't scrub over any paint.  Be especially careful with the hair. 

Thank you for posting Skeen the Brazil Queen!

Love pkw xxx

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 11:36:39 AM »

Thank you for posting Skeen the Brazil Queen!

Love pkw xxx

LOL  I loves me some Brazil ponies.  ;) 

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 07:12:58 PM »
I adore Brazil ponies and have a quite a few I've collected over the years. They're often prone to seepage and stickiness, unfortunately, but Dawn does a wonderful job of taking that stuff off without harming the plastic or the coloration of the pony. I agree with PKW on the fragility of their hair v chemicals, so I try not to use the Dawn on their hair at all. I put a little on a Magic Eraser and just work it gently over the body. For hair I'll use a gentle shampoo and conditioner for fine hair...believe it or not the "No More Tears" baby shampoo is extremely harsh on pony hair (or so I've found) so I don't use it at all.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 07:38:15 AM »
I adore Brazil ponies and have a quite a few I've collected over the years. They're often prone to seepage and stickiness, unfortunately, but Dawn does a wonderful job of taking that stuff off without harming the plastic or the coloration of the pony. I agree with PKW on the fragility of their hair v chemicals, so I try not to use the Dawn on their hair at all. I put a little on a Magic Eraser and just work it gently over the body. For hair I'll use a gentle shampoo and conditioner for fine hair...believe it or not the "No More Tears" baby shampoo is extremely harsh on pony hair (or so I've found) so I don't use it at all.

I used a no more tears shampoo once and it wasn't as good as I hoped! I'm glad to hear I am not alone in thinking so.

I use a shampoo and conditioner designed for wigs/synthetic/nylon hair :)

Love pkw xxx

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 06:51:31 PM »

I used a no more tears shampoo once and it wasn't as good as I hoped! I'm glad to hear I am not alone in thinking so.

I use a shampoo and conditioner designed for wigs/synthetic/nylon hair :)

Love pkw xxx

The feeling is entirely mutual. I haven't seen anything actually written about it, but I really do think it's awful for pony hair!

Offline KittyPinkDreams

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 10:51:32 AM »
Thank you everyone for all these kind tips! I did was them all. And they have all come out nicely. Tho one of the cotton Candies did have some loose eye paint that I didn't notice. SO now I'm wondering it I take all the original paint off. Or do I paint with it there :O

Also find myself so pick as for symbols. They need to be perfect and blah blah blah. SO I may pencil in the symbols before even attempting paint. Now what is the best kind of paints to use? I am only learning of the quality and I guess pigments? HAHA what a name Pigments. This is such a learning curve. But I'm really loving it!

^_^

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 11:26:07 AM »
If you don’t like imperfections on a pony, nirvana ponies might not be right for you. The quality control is much less stringent compared with HK and China made ponies, also the materials they are made off are more prone to degeneration :( many factories used hand finishing, leading to inconsistency in quality as well. That said many of what could be considered imperfections are often seen as defining features :bigups: such as the stamped eyes on Italy ponies ^.^

It is very easy to over restore a pony, personally I only repaint an area of paint that is missing rather remove the original paint and repaint the whole eye or symbol.

My paint preferences include Citadel, War Painter and Vallejo.

Love pkw xxx

Offline KittyPinkDreams

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 09:58:57 PM »
If you don’t like imperfections on a pony, nirvana ponies might not be right for you. The quality control is much less stringent compared with HK and China made ponies, also the materials they are made off are more prone to degeneration :( many factories used hand finishing, leading to inconsistency in quality as well. That said many of what could be considered imperfections are often seen as defining features :bigups: such as the stamped eyes on Italy ponies ^.^

It is very easy to over restore a pony, personally I only repaint an area of paint that is missing rather remove the original paint and repaint the whole eye or symbol.

My paint preferences include Citadel, War Painter and Vallejo.

Love pkw xxx

For Sure nirvanas are gonna have their imperfections. Just the fact I have 3 each of these brazilian ponies Cotton Candy, Bluebelle and Peachy. The Cotton Candys seem the have the worst on it. I am also new to wanting to customize ponies. So its a big learning curl. I dont plan to go to town till i fill I have enough info to do anything with them. All I have done was cleaned them. Popped their heads off and pulled their tails and took out all washers(Almost all were rusted). I put a small amount of oxi clean inside the bodies then boiled some water and put it inside the ponies, then took a tooth brush and Q-tips so get all the icky rust and such out. I did wash and condition their hairs. But still haven't even tried to brush then. I haven't had the guts to do that part yet.

Oh I do have a Brazil Shy Pose Bubbles that needs a new mane and maybe tail.

I have a Brazil Pat Pend. Sprinkles hows needs some rehair on 20 plugs at the top of her head!

One Brazil Bluebelle that needs a new tail and 11 plus at the top of her head done.

Brazil Cotton Candy's two need symbols painted, the one needs her eyes touched up.

Brazil Minty & Butterscotch just needs thier symbols touched up.

I'm not very good at matching colors. I thought for years the Brush & Grow Ringlet was a grey color. To find out she is Lavender. (I can only see out of one eye :blink:). Help with colors for paints and hair would also be a great help to me. I am picky I would like it to be the exact same. If this can't happen then the next best choice to ^_^

Thank you for Paint suggestions! I'll be writing this down!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 08:36:21 AM »
It sounds like you have done a through job of cleaning them up :bigups: I do similar myself (remove the heads and use a toothbrush to clean out the inside) Often a good clean can really turn a pony round.

The Brazil hair! It is very delicate and is SO prone to frizzing, I recall a Brazilian collector saying the hair frizzed from the first comb even when the pony was brand new.

Matching hair colours is tricky, since nirvana hair tends to be unique in colour and texture. I can suggest a few "best matches" for you though should you choose to rehair :)

Brazil shy pose Bubbles - Water Nixi or Atomic Turquoise
Brazil Sprinkles ~ Water Nixi or Atomic Turquoise

I used Atomic Turquoise on the Brazil Sprinkles and shy pose Bubbles I rehaired for someone :) that was my choice of colour, but you might want Water Nixi, I suggest you get both and see which you like best ^.^

Brazil Bluebelle I am not sure on what would be a "true" match, usually the colour is Wisteria, but Hyacinth might work as well :huh: I would suggest buying a few different hanks and seeing what matches best in "real life" sometimes pony hair can fade/change and not match the suggest colours.

Colour is VERY VERY difficult and it is hard to "carry" a colour in your mind, colour can look different in different light (day light vs. light bulb) colours can look different on a computer screen, compared to real life :faint:

For the white symbols of Cotton Candy, I don't think you can go wrong with a straight up white paint from the ranges I have suggest. I would perhaps get an Ivory as well, since sometimes true white can be to "harsh".

Matching colours on Minty and Butterscotch is going to be a little more difficult and you may end up having to mix you own colour. Very rarely can you use a colour straight from the pot.

I am hoping that perhaps someone else can chip in with some colour suggestions (hopefully those who own the ponies too) :bigups:

Love pkw xxx

Offline KittyPinkDreams

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 09:56:08 PM »
It sounds like you have done a through job of cleaning them up :bigups: I do similar myself (remove the heads and use a toothbrush to clean out the inside) Often a good clean can really turn a pony round.

The Brazil hair! It is very delicate and is SO prone to frizzing, I recall a Brazilian collector saying the hair frizzed from the first comb even when the pony was brand new.

Matching hair colours is tricky, since nirvana hair tends to be unique in colour and texture. I can suggest a few "best matches" for you though should you choose to rehair :)

Brazil shy pose Bubbles - Water Nixi or Atomic Turquoise
Brazil Sprinkles ~ Water Nixi or Atomic Turquoise

I used Atomic Turquoise on the Brazil Sprinkles and shy pose Bubbles I rehaired for someone :) that was my choice of colour, but you might want Water Nixi, I suggest you get both and see which you like best ^.^

Brazil Bluebelle I am not sure on what would be a "true" match, usually the colour is Wisteria, but Hyacinth might work as well :huh: I would suggest buying a few different hanks and seeing what matches best in "real life" sometimes pony hair can fade/change and not match the suggest colours.

Colour is VERY VERY difficult and it is hard to "carry" a colour in your mind, colour can look different in different light (day light vs. light bulb) colours can look different on a computer screen, compared to real life :faint:

For the white symbols of Cotton Candy, I don't think you can go wrong with a straight up white paint from the ranges I have suggest. I would perhaps get an Ivory as well, since sometimes true white can be to "harsh".

Matching colours on Minty and Butterscotch is going to be a little more difficult and you may end up having to mix you own colour. Very rarely can you use a colour straight from the pot.

I am hoping that perhaps someone else can chip in with some colour suggestions (hopefully those who own the ponies too) :bigups:

Love pkw xxx

Yeah It got them all completely cleaned up. Some seem to have patches of discoloring. But they do look so much better now! I did shampoo and condition their manes and tails but I haven't brushed them out. I'm scared to do this step. When I feel the nerves I'll do that next. lol

Yes, their hair is totally different then the American ones. I just want them to come out perfect, or as perfect as they can come!

Thanks for the great tips! I'll for sure be checking out all the different colors in person. And will have to mess around with paints. lol I should just take them up with me to Michael's craft store and see how close I can match colors!! Next year I'll do this.

You done some really awesome work! I really love that Star Catcher pillow plush you made, great work!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal