collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Seeking Tips for Moving, and Quackers Regrind?  (Read 848 times)

Offline Chelsea7

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Seeking Tips for Moving, and Quackers Regrind?
« on: October 10, 2017, 07:13:19 AM »
Hi all,

Wow it has been ages since I last posted! I am looking for a little bit of advice:

After about 1.5 years home from school, I am moving to Portland Maine! I am psyched to be moving up there at last, as this will mark a big change in my life. However, I want to take my ponies with me and while I have am thrilled to have a new space I am afraid there isn't much of it. My current pony display just will not work in the apartment I am moving to. Does anyone have any tips for storing ponies in tight spaces?

My ponies currently live on a series of 4 bookshelves in my basement. They all have their own space, none are touching, and are open to the air. The basement gets a little bit humid but there is a dehumidifier present which cuts moisture out very well.

Which brings me to my next question, does anyone know what TE Quackers Regrind looks like?
I am ashamed to admit I have been neglecting my ponies lately with all of the things I have been doing at home. But I noticed Quackers front right leg and right under her neck where her pink hair touches are bright pink highlighter marks. I cannot for the life of me remember if they were there before. I am assuming they must have been, as I think her regrind tends to be brown? I know the pink cannot be caused by her hair, only because her hair doesn't reach the spot on her leg that has a pink blotch.  I am dying to know if this is regrind, as I have tried everything to keep my ponies protected for the time they have been here..

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Answers much appreciated in advance! ^^
My Tumblr

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Tips for Moving, and Quackers Regrind?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 07:35:42 AM »
I think Quackers doesn't get regrind? I believe regrind is caused by different colors of vinyl emerging from mixed ones. When Hasbro recycled pre dyed vinyl, it was a different color from the vinyl it was mixed into. Now, about thirty years later, those different colored vinyl scraps are emerging from the plastic causing different colored blotches on the pony.

Another theory is that when Hasbro mixed the vinyl, the color pellets didn't fully mix, causing them to not disperse evenly.

This really only happens with bright pink, purple, and orange hued ponies so I don't think this could happen with Quackers. I've also never heard of her getting regrind. The brown regrind you are talking about could be age spots which isn't related to regrind.

Age spots, or cancer, have multiple theories as to why they exist. Some common ones are mold and or the plastic breaking down. A lot of ponies can get this including Quackers.

Your Quackers probably has saddle sores, which are from the pink saddles from various play sets staining the ponies. They are bright pink marks usually where the saddle was sitting, and the saddles can stain a lot of ponies if left on for long enough.

It's also possible that her hair stained her body if you didn't notice anything and it was left in one spot touching her body. I remember hearing somewhere that someone's mint Sugarberry had her body stained from her hair.

Hope this helped! I have no idea how to move ponies, sorry... Good luck! :biggrin:

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 07:44:41 AM »
Hello! :)

I still live with my parents, so my pony collection has always been limited to my relatively small bedroom. Here's what my displays look like:

Spoiler

It's a little cramped in that I don't really have room for more playsets, but it works.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 11:04:13 AM »
Quackers will normally have pink splotches or discolored brown spots.  She hasn't aged well. 

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 06:24:39 PM »
I think Quackers doesn't get regrind? I believe regrind is caused by different colors of vinyl emerging from mixed ones. When Hasbro recycled pre dyed vinyl, it was a different color from the vinyl it was mixed into. Now, about thirty years later, those different colored vinyl scraps are emerging from the plastic causing different colored blotches on the pony.

Another theory is that when Hasbro mixed the vinyl, the color pellets didn't fully mix, causing them to not disperse evenly.

This really only happens with bright pink, purple, and orange hued ponies so I don't think this could happen with Quackers. I've also never heard of her getting regrind. The brown regrind you are talking about could be age spots which isn't related to regrind.

Age spots, or cancer, have multiple theories as to why they exist. Some common ones are mold and or the plastic breaking down. A lot of ponies can get this including Quackers.

Your Quackers probably has saddle sores, which are from the pink saddles from various play sets staining the ponies. They are bright pink marks usually where the saddle was sitting, and the saddles can stain a lot of ponies if left on for long enough.

It's also possible that her hair stained her body if you didn't notice anything and it was left in one spot touching her body. I remember hearing somewhere that someone's mint Sugarberry had her body stained from her hair.

Hope this helped! I have no idea how to move ponies, sorry... Good luck! :biggrin:

Thank you for the information! I am beginning to think they might be age spots. It's just so frustrating to see her turn pink and have no origin as to why other than the fact she's aging. I just worry I am storing them in a bad environment, but all of my other ponies are normal in appearance.

Glad it's not regrind at least!

Hello! :)

I still live with my parents, so my pony collection has always been limited to my relatively small bedroom. Here's what my displays look like:

Spoiler

It's a little cramped in that I don't really have room for more playsets, but it works.

That looks amazing!! Talk about utilizing space.
I am curious, do you have AC in your room? My biggest fear with displaying them in my new apartment will be the humidity in NE summers... I am considering just buying a separate dehumidifier for wherever I decide to place them, but I feel like cold air makes more sense for storing.

Quackers will normally have pink splotches or discolored brown spots.  She hasn't aged well. 

My heart breaks to admit it but I believe you are right. Could anything specific have caused this or is it just age?
My Tumblr

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 06:59:27 PM »

I am curious, do you have AC in your room? My biggest fear with displaying them in my new apartment will be the humidity in NE summers... I am considering just buying a separate dehumidifier for wherever I decide to place them, but I feel like cold air makes more sense for storing.

I don't, we unfortunately don't have an AC at all in our house (which is why I hate summer so much!). But I live in Washington state so our weather doesn't really require one.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 08:26:25 PM »
My Quackers got discolored brown spots. Really sad because she had PERFECT silky hair and an otherwise unmarked body.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 07:06:54 AM »

I don't, we unfortunately don't have an AC at all in our house (which is why I hate summer so much!). But I live in Washington state so our weather doesn't really require one.

Oh!
I'm hoping it's a little less humid in Maine. Massachusetts gets brutally humid in the summer..

My Quackers got discolored brown spots. Really sad because she had PERFECT silky hair and an otherwise unmarked body.

No!!! It's so frustrating. I think she's one of the prettiest ponies, and it figures she gets those hideous brown spots.

May I ask, how do you display your collection?

I am thankful mine has not turned brown yet at all, but who knows what will happen in the future
My Tumblr

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 07:52:49 AM »
I had some ponies on shelves, some in cardboard boxes in plastic baggies, and some in Tupperware boxes (no baggies).  IIRC she was mostly in a Tupperware box.

I also tried hand sanitizer on her in case the brown splotches were bacteria or something, but it didn't help.  I really think it was something inherent to her plastic rather than an outside source like "age spots".  The brown was in really random shapes and a different color from age spots and such.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 08:36:38 AM »
Big tip for storing ponies where it is humid is Silica packets. Just make sure they aren't touching the ponies. :D
~Foxtale~

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 07:57:14 PM »
I had some ponies on shelves, some in cardboard boxes in plastic baggies, and some in Tupperware boxes (no baggies).  IIRC she was mostly in a Tupperware box.

I also tried hand sanitizer on her in case the brown splotches were bacteria or something, but it didn't help.  I really think it was something inherent to her plastic rather than an outside source like "age spots".  The brown was in really random shapes and a different color from age spots and such.

Good to know!
But I am so sorry about your Quackers :(

Big tip for storing ponies where it is humid is Silica packets. Just make sure they aren't touching the ponies. :D
This is an awesome idea. I was thinking of those large Damp-Rid bag/canister things they sell. Ultimately I think the ladies will end up in some sort of huge storage cabinet. Silica packs are an awesome idea if they end up in smaller containers. Thank you for the tip!
My Tumblr

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 04:15:48 PM »
I use rubbermaids for storage, silica packets on the bottom, then a white cotton sheet to line it (I use the spare linen for the guest room we rarely use, and it also blocks some more light just in case) and then in go the ponies, which have their own individual wrappings, usually acid-free tissue, or for sales ponies, a clear plastic sleeve/ziploc bag left open at the top, so I can see who's who. I then write out who/what's in the box, put it in a document sleeve, and tape the sleeve to the box. The list is easily referenced, and if you change things around, you just put a new piece of paper in. Works for me most of the time, although my current lists fail to mention where my G1 babies are since I last re-organised... So I'm going to have to go through and find which tote they're in and add it to the list, eek!

As for moving, when I do that I also have a master list which numbers the boxes, and lists them all with a more general list of what's inside, and that system goes through my whole house. Again, the box then has a detailed list of what's in it, which I add to as I pack it. It's time consuming, but you thank yourself for it when you get to the other end and nothing is lost, and things are easy to find.

Quackers, the professional victim, as it were. You name it, she's prone to it! Age spots, regrind, discolouration, sunburn, dry hair... and for some bizarre reason, hair-cuts. I've had so many lots with really nice ponies, but the Quackers has a hair cut, almost every time. Who knows, it's truly one of life's mysteries! My collection one has perfect hair, but she's a little on the brown side. But that's okay. Her body colour may change, but nice hair can stay nice forever, so I've chosen that to focus on!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 11:35:20 AM »
Stormness - I have had a dozen Quackers over the years and every one of them, no matter how otherwise lovely, has had straight up NASTY hair! Mostly the green streak.  The rest will be pretty nice but the green streak is a ratted mess.  What is with this pony?!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal